Question on OME Lift Kit

FadeToGray

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi All,

Looking to purchase an OME lift for my 2005 LJ, but it seems Quadratec has 2 different versions of the 2" kit.

Is there one of these that are preferred? The "Sport" versions seems to include more with the steering stabilizer, buts its less expensive.

Kit 1 - https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_002X_PG.htm ($901)

Kit 2 - https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_001X_A_PG.htm ($946)

Also, is there an estimated added weight that is a trigger to move up to the heavy duty springs?

I have front and rear Smittybilt bumpers, a winch, and rock sliders right now, and i may purchase a roof rack down the road. Is that enough weight to go "heavy duty"? Or should I do the regular duty springs?

Thanks!

I would call dirk at DPG off-road and explain to him what you have and what you plan to do with the Jeep. There are several spring combinations that can be used. I am running 2933’s in the front and 2942’s in the rear of my lj with minimal weight.

I have had DPG's OME hybrid kit on my LJ since spring of 2006 and am very happy with it. The folks at DPG know their stuff and will not sell you things you do not need. Quadratec is ok, but not everyone there is a "true" Jeep enthusiast at heart........at least that has been my experience.....

Believe me when I say that unless you plan on sticking with a complete stock TJ, you want the HD springs, trust me.

For what it's worth though, I wouldn't get an OME lift. I'd piece together my own lift using OME springs and Rancho RS5000X shocks. The newer OME Nitrocharger Sports aren't very great IMHO.

to be honest, one of my OME shocks blew 18 months after I installed it, I just replaced all of them with Bilsteins, the Rancho 5000s back then were junk, I understand they are much better now....... but I am not replacing something that is not broken......

I recommend DPG also. A lot of people have experience it what to get, but I thought it was good to be able to talk to him on the phone.

I have the same 2933 and 2942 OME springs as @Hcwlsu101 on my ‘06 LJ. But I have a heavier than stock LOD stubby bumper, winch plate and winch with steel cable up front and an LOD rear bumper/tire carrier with trail rack. Dirk suggested adding another spring isolator on top of the one that was already there, basically as a spacer. It leveled everything out for me. It’s listed as a 2” lift but with my setup and HD springs I got 2.5” out of it.

Their newer sport shocks seem harsh to me at times. My plan is to try some Rancho RS5000x shocks that are highly recommended sometime soon.

Before lift.

For what it's worth though, I wouldn't get an OME lift. I'd piece together my own lift using OME springs and Rancho RS5000X shocks. The newer OME Nitrocharger Sports aren't very great IMHO.

This.

I took the exact same route. Spent months researching every component that went into my build. Also did a fair amount of cost analysis.

OP - let me know if you want me to share my build sheet. I kept everything well organized in an Excel workbook.

Here's a link to my thread as well:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/help-me-fine-tune-my-suspension.13269/

Reactions: ceccx650 and Chris
As everyone else has stated just call Dirk at DPG and order through him. I ordered my OME/JKS lift through him for my 2005 LJ, and it was a treat to speak with him and get his installation cheat sheet, plus he was around if I had any questions about the install. He is a great resource and charges basically the same price as the internet.

Some have recommended Rancho shocks and to piece together a kit, which is perfectly fine to do, but since you live in New England, like me, and nobody else mentioned this, but those Rancho are 100% guaranteed to rust on you unless you prep and paint them. My OMEs have gone through two NE winters and are all good, and ride awesome. Highly recommend OME for the New England guys.

but those Rancho are 100% guaranteed to rust on you unless you prep and paint them. My OMEs have gone through two NE winters and are all good, and ride awesome. Highly recommend OME for the New England guys.
@FadeToGray I don't think I would buy a shock based on the quality of its paint job. It is the opinion of many here that the Ranchos provide a quality ride at a great price. I installed the OME/Rancho combination and am very pleased. The shell paint is poor quality so just prep n paint and its taken care of.

Also be aware DPG charges shipping where others do not.

Reactions: skrelnik
I recently installed 2in procomp springs and rancho 5000s shocks on mine $200 for springs $200 for shocks. No complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ceccx650
@FadeToGray I don't think I would buy a shock based on the quality of its paint job. It is the opinion of many here that the Ranchos provide a quality ride at a great price. I installed the OME/Rancho combination and am very pleased. The shell paint is poor quality so just prep n paint and its taken care of.

Completely agree, and I only wanted to inform the OP, and whomever reads this thread, that the Rancho shocks will rust and that it needs to be addressed prior to install.

The OP asked specifically about OME, and then Ranchos were introduced as a solid replacement, but no person who recommends Rancho states they do rust. I have a problem with that as I would be wicked pissed at this forum if I had purchased Rancho shocks and 6 months later they were rusted and I needed to buy new shocks.

I purchased the OME/JKS kit from DPG for my '05 LJR and I'm happy with the results except for 1 thing: the front JKS trackbar. Maybe it's OK for some but in my case, the edge of the huge Johnny Joint at the frame mount was hit by the Dana 44 front diff. This knocked the jam nut loose and the slight movement there wallowed out the female threads in the adjustable portion of the trackbar. I replaced it with a Metalcloak which has a heim joint and much better clearance.

Maybe this is only an issue with some Jeeps, maybe only with Dana 44 diffs. I don't know but it was definitely an issue with my rig. JKS now says on their web sire that you may need more bump stop with lower lifts. But to avoid the interference, I would have had very little up travel.

FYI. YMMV.

I purchased the OME/JKS kit from DPG for my '05 LJR and I'm happy with the results except for 1 thing: the front JKS trackbar. Maybe it's OK for some but in my case, the edge of the huge Johnny Joint at the frame mount was hit by the Dana 44 front diff. This knocked the jam nut loose and the slight movement there wallowed out the female threads in the adjustable portion of the trackbar. I replaced it with a Metalcloak which has a heim joint and much better clearance.

Maybe this is only an issue with some Jeeps, maybe only with Dana 44 diffs. I don't know but it was definitely an issue with my rig. JKS now says on their web sire that you may need more bump stop with lower lifts. But to avoid the interference, I would have had very little up travel.

FYI. YMMV.

Do you have adjustable control arms up front?

FYI. YMMV.

I had the same issue with my JKS trackbar which I contributed to user error, not cycling the suspension properly.

I tried to order replacement parts for my JKS trackbar and boy are they the most unhelpful company, they wanted to charge $20 for shipping a couple items whose cost was like $10 and also very small. I tried so hard to get the bushings back in, but I could not generate enough force to press them in.

So I happily found a lightly used Currie trackbar that I have been happily running. That JKS one is just sitting in the basement, but I did end up paying a shop to press the bushings in.

Do you have adjustable control arms up front?

No adjustable CAs in front. Caster and pinion angle is acceptable meaning it tracks straight with minimal vibes.

I do have JKS adjustable upper CAs in the rear which were not part of the original kit. The need for the adjustable CAs in the rear along with a DC driveshaft was mainly driven by a TT which had nothing to do with the lift kit and was installed later.

The front JKS trackbar was part of the original DPG kit. IMO, the front JKS trackbar was not really compatible with a Dana 44 front axle when using the other parts provided (springs & bump stops) at least on my rig.

I just want people to be aware of the potential issue. Using the parts DPG provided as a "kit" on my Jeep resulted in a setup that was actually dangerous.

No adjustable CAs in front. Caster and pinion angle is acceptable meaning it tracks straight with minimal vibes.

I do have JKS adjustable upper CAs in the rear which were not part of the original kit. The need for the adjustable CAs in the rear along with a DC driveshaft was mainly driven by a TT which had nothing to do with the lift kit and was installed later.

The front JKS trackbar was part of the original DPG kit. IMO, the front JKS trackbar was not really compatible with a Dana 44 front axle when using the other parts provided (springs & bump stops) at least on my rig.

I just want people to be aware of the potential issue. Using the parts DPG provided as a "kit" on my Jeep resulted in a setup that was actually dangerous.

How much did your extend you bump stops?