Questions about first time out west wheeling trip

Schwifty Rich

TJ Enthusiast
Hey everyone!

I’m about to head to Colorado near the Ourey and Silverton area to enjoy the landscape and drive on some trails from 8/23-8/30 and was looking for some insight.

after 8/30 I want to head over to Arches national park and check out Moab while I’m out there as I’ve never had this kind of opportunity.

what do I need to know about Moab and the trails out there?

Are there dates that need scheduling or things that need to be reserved?
Are there fees?
Is there a place I can find some other Jeeps to tag along with?
What trails can I/ should I try?
Will Labor Day weekend have a big impact?
Is there a place or site I can get this information at?

If anyone can just help me understand this aspect of the Jeep life I would really appreciate it.

And if anyone is in the area from 8/30-9/6 I would absolutely be interested in meeting up.

Thank you!

In Moab, the Jeep will stick to things that might be impossible in Colorado.

Yea, rock crawling is something I’ve never tried before so im a little apprehensive about it.

I just saw your guys holy cross post.. is that something that would be worth the 5.5 hour drive to meet up and take part or maybe ride along for?

The group im with leaves the 30th so I’m out there on my own after that.

Personally, I would want to spend as much time in Moab as possible. Not to say you shouldn't try to find an open seat with us, but that part of Utah is almost magical. Mesa Verde is also close. Visiting the pueblo ruins scattered around the Four Corners region really changes your perspective of the world.

I'm near St.Louis and I have both a Moab and Colorado trail book you can borrow. I've been to both, including the Ouray area. You can message me. You will run out of days before you run out of trails in either area.

Reactions: Schwifty Rich
Personally, I would want to spend as much time in Moab as possible. Not to say you shouldn't try to find an open seat with us, but that part of Utah is almost magical. Mesa Verde is also close. Visiting the pueblo ruins scattered around the Four Corners region really changes your perspective of the world.
my original plan was actually going to include Mesa verde then arches then Moab lol.

It all depends on how things go that first week. I was just concerned about being a solo runner and not having as much Technical experience and heading out to the mother of all beasts ( Moab).

I often leap before looking when it comes to going places and figure things out once I get there. I just didn’t want to be blind sided by rules, regulations, schedules, or any other things that I’m ignorant to.

Moab is "easier" than many give it credit for. Fins n Things will teach you a lot. Hells Revenge is tremendously fun. Just don't get stuck out on the petrified dunes after dark like I nearly did. The trail disappears under the headlights. Few things make me legitimately nervous. That was one of them.

Just noticed your location is MI and not MO.
You should have no problem finding a group to tag along with. I agree with the previous post about traction. You'll be amazed at what you can climb in Moab.

The grip on those rocks are insane sticky! Hells Revenge will show you just how much. 7 Mile Rim is a great trail that is not difficult with some breathtaking views.

Well you're about a month ahead of me on this trip. We are going up to Ouray, then over to Blanding, Sept 22 through 28. We are gonna do Ophir pass to Telluride then back over Imogene pass to Ouray, then do the Alpine loop the next day. Then will bounce around the southern UT area for a couple of days hitting the National parks in that area. We are not going to make it to Moab on this trip. If you're going to Moab take lots of $$$$, cause you're going to need it! Have fun and post up some pictures. If you come through Albuquerque going or coming run me down and we'll go eat some good food. And Yes, Labor day will be crowded so be patient on the trails. The news showed a Jeep JK that had come off of a shelf road and rolled 450' down the hill side, the switchbacks are pretty tight on Imogene, it just opened late July from the snow pack being so deep up there.

Thanks everyone, I really feel a little better about it.
Is it kind of like a free for all with trail heads like it would be for hiking? or are there scheduled things and fees?

Well you're about a month ahead of me on this trip. We are going up to Ouray, then over to Blanding, Sept 22 through 28. We are gonna do Ophir pass to Telluride then back over Imogene pass to Ouray, then do the Alpine loop the next day. Then will bounce around the southern UT area for a couple of days hitting the National parks in that area. We are not going to make it to Moab on this trip. If you're going to Moab take lots of $$$$, cause you're going to need it! Have fun and post up some pictures. If you come through Albuquerque going or coming run me down and we'll go eat some good food. And Yes, Labor day will be crowded so be patient on the trails. The news showed a Jeep JK that had come off of a shelf road and rolled 450' down the hill side, the switchbacks are pretty tight on Imogene, it just opened late July from the snow pack being so deep up there.

I’ll be sure to take many many pictures!
What makes moab so expensive? Breakage, lodging, passes?

If you get to Telluride, Brown Dog Pizza is exceptionally good. The Detroit style Gold Hill with fig, stinky cheeses and balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite things.

That area is one of my favorite places on earth . My advice- bring jackets . Even in August. I got caught in an ice storm on a dirt bike on Aug 28 in Silverton 2 years ago and nearly got hypothermia.

Top of the World. We figured it out!
So mine would be bottom of the earth?😂

DEB92390-5D11-4EDA-B76E-E48B3340A938.jpeg

Reactions: Hound Dog and jjvw