Questions on outboarding shocks

softballnrd27

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I am beginning the outboard shock and spring mount relocation on Monday. I have a couple of questions before I start
1. I have a shock picked out that has 12.880" of travel, 32.290" extended and 19.410 collapsed. Rancho RS999012. Do I build the mounts to the shock or figure out my mounting location and order the shock that fits those measurements? I'm pretty sure I have more than enough room to fit that shock.

2. Outboard process:
Step 1: Get current ride height measurements
Step 2: Cycle suspension up to full bump no bump stops, measure
Step 3: Full droop, measure
Step 4: Mockup new shock location repeat steps 1-3
Step 5: Cut Frame, weld, install.

What did I miss? I have the shock towers and the lower mounts will be here soon. I've got 2 weeks before my next wheeling event and only the evenings to work on it.

@mrblaine
@jjvw

Locate the mounts so that they position the shock where you want the travels to be. Make the travels 50/50. If you have to reduce bump stop to get there, then figure out how.

Cycle the axle at every single step. Watch out for clearance and binding. Make adjustments.

How long is the 9000 at ride height with half travel? Do you see where that will fit?

Last edited:
My suggestion if you are going through this much effort is to go with a rebuildable shock. This way if Rancho stops making this shock you can have one that you can continue to rebuild and use without having to redo mounts.
I understand what you are saying but I really like the Rancho 9000s. The good thing is the collapsed and extended specs between that shock and the Fox are very similar so I will be able to go to that shock later on if I have to.

Locate the mounts so that they position the shock where you want the travels to be. Make the travels 50/50. If you have to reduce bump stop to get there, then figure out how.

Cycle the axle at every single step. Watch out for clearance and binding. Make adjustments.

How long is the 9000 at ride height with half travel? Do you see where that will fit?

If my math is correct, at ride height the shock will measure roughly 25-7/8". I will begin this evening by getting all of my preliminary measurements.

I understand what you are saying but I really like the Rancho 9000s. The good thing is the collapsed and extended specs between that shock and the Fox are very similar so I will be able to go to that shock later on if I have to.

What mounts are you using?

Look in the How To section. Blaine recently posted a very good list of things to keep in mind when outboarding.

Reactions: Wildman
My suggestion if you are going through this much effort is to go with a rebuildable shock. This way if Rancho stops making this shock you can have one that you can continue to rebuild and use without having to redo mounts.

X2 to this. I would suggest using a nice shock like a tuned Fox 2.0 smooth body. Believe me when I say they are far superior to the Ranchos (I've run both), particularly if you have someone like @pcoplin tune them for you.

They are most costly however, no getting around that.

They are most costly however, no getting around that.

Short term, yes. Long term, you can keep rebuilding them for cheaper than a set of Ranchos. Basically fresh oil is your big expense and nitrogen. Paul, Kevin, and I were talking about maintenance schedules and it's really not bad (it's highly dependent on use so I'm not going to attempt to botch up listing it out).

Reactions: Chris
I am nowhere near ready for this step according to Blaine's write up. I could simply say I can fix it later but it's the wrong way. I am going to rework my rear lower shock mount to gain back some travel. When I did my rear axle swap I didn't pay attention to my upper mount so I have like 2" of shock shaft showing. I rotated my lower mounts up to increased ground clearance. I will get new mounts and lower them down and get my belly up done and revisit this then.
Thank yall for all the help and advise. I want to do this right so I am going to wait instead of trying to scramble to fix it now to have to re-do it later.

Reactions: Sean Allen