Outboarding and Rancho Shocks?

Nordic

TJ Enthusiast
Now this is purely a theoretical question and I am still a far, far ways away from any potential outboarding, but could you outboard using Rancho shocks? It seems as if the Ranchos are universally recommended as far as what shocks to upgrade too, with the exception of outboarding, in which Fox 2.0 rrs are the norm. Now obviously, the shocks that Rancho lists for the Tj don't have enough travel to consider outboarding, but some other vehicle applications do.

Here's the specs on the Rancho Rs55047:
31.210 Extended
18.870 Collapsed
12.340 Stroke

And here's the specs on the Fox 2.0 RR 12 in. travel shocks:
31.1 Extended
19.1 Collapsed
12.0 Stroke

As you can see they are extremely close. Could you theoretically outboard with the Ranchos and then upgrade too the Fox 2.0s in the future if you feel the need?

You could outboard with Ranchos, yes. However, once you switch to Foxes you will have to change your bumpstops as well as mounting. The foxes use a heim joint, the ranchos do not, meaning the shaft will most likely bend during the cycling process (foxes are meant to move via the heim). I would suggest outboarding with a shock that you plan to use from here on out. The foxes can be rebuilt which is a plus.

Reactions: Nordic and Chris
Since this is theoretical, Back in the days when outboarding rear shocks was new, I saw lots of write-ups using ford towers and various shocks. It could be done easy enough. However, as tworley said, the mounts are completely incompatible. If one were handy with fabrication you could probably have a bolt-on shock mount that could be swapped out when you upgraded. JeepWest does something similar to allow for different shock lengths or ride heights. If this isn't something jeepwest built, my apologies.

20180127_220205.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
I think you're right, that is a jeepwest design.

The problem using those mounts (in my opinion) is that the increments are to large. Very fine adjustments are needed, otherwise you can lose travel with those mounts. The poly mounts can be burned in exactly where the shock is going to be safe and not over compressed.

this is the third time now i've seen this JeepWest mentioned. anyone got a link? my search only brings up an outfit out of Oregon and the website looks unfinished.

He's a member on this site and contributes occasionally. I can't remember his name on here.

**Never mind, it came to me**

@David Kishpaugh

Last edited:
@tworley IIRC from your build thread, you did the "Shock Shifter" mod before outboarding right?

Would you recommend that worthwhile as in in between stock shock mounts and fully outboarding, especially for lower lift heights where a 12" shock couldn't be accommodated for?

@tworley IIRC from your build thread, you did the "Shock Shifter" mod before outboarding right?

Would you recommend that worthwhile as in in between stock shock mounts and fully outboarding, especially for lower lift heights where a 12" shock couldn't be accommodated for?

I did. That was on a 9" travel shock. Though my lower mounts were lower than stock. I'd say if you're wanting to outboard in the future, then hold off until you are ready. The lower mounts will have to be cut off for the shock shifter mod, then cut off again to complete the outboard.

Since this is theoretical, Back in the days when outboarding rear shocks was new, I saw lots of write-ups using ford towers and various shocks. It could be done easy enough. However, as tworley said, the mounts are completely incompatible. If one were handy with fabrication you could probably have a bolt-on shock mount that could be swapped out when you upgraded. JeepWest does something similar to allow for different shock lengths or ride heights. If this isn't something jeepwest built, my apologies.

View attachment 128673

That is most certainly Dave's design. And a good one at that.

For the amount of work in an outboard, do it for something better than a Rancho. The front is a different story. Adding some height to the existing upper mount isn't too much work.

Reactions: Nordic