Questions on the Magnum V8 swap

Here is a series of YouTube videos on doing the swap. I don't agree with the way that he did some parts of his swap (mainly the wiring) it's still not a bad set of videos.

I've watched (but not closely studied) his series and thought there was some good tech to be had. What about the wiring didn't you agree with? I'm still on a fact finding mission for my swap and want to make sure I'm taking notes from the right sources.

I've watched (but not closely studied) his series and thought there was some good tech to be had. What about the wiring didn't you agree with? I'm still on a fact finding mission for my swap and want to make sure I'm taking notes from the right sources.

I'm not going to say I am the "RIGHT" source but IMO cutting a splicing the wiring together isn't the correct way to do it. You unpin and repin the proper wires into the connectors. And if a wire needs to be shortened or lengthened then you get the correct type of ends and crimp them on like factory.

I don't like it but that doesn't mean it isn't okay.

You need to get the Factory Service Manual for your year TJ and then one from the year Dodge model you take your engine from. I am on the member on the Dodge Forum and they have FSM there like on here. Plus they are a great group of people and are helpful when trying to figure out issues with your Dodge engine.
To back what Wildman said, the FSM is pivotal for a smooth swap...

If you find a harness from a particular year, feel free to message me and I will email you a PDF copy. I have all the years from 96-03.

I'm not going to say I am the "RIGHT" source but IMO cutting a splicing the wiring together isn't the correct way to do it. You unpin and repin the proper wires into the connectors. And if a wire needs to be shortened or lengthened then you get the correct type of ends and crimp them on like factory.

I don't like it but that doesn't mean it isn't okay.
Have you ever been able to find proper pins??

I have wired a handful of EFI conversions and with a proper solder and shrink wrap, I've had zero issues. I would actually LOVE to do a LS swap one day, simply to be able to find new terminals and connectors with ease - but I have a penchant for pain, so Mopar it is :)

I have wired a handful of EFI conversions and with a proper solder and shrink wrap, I've had zero issues. I would actually LOVE to do a LS swap one day, simply to be able to find new terminals and connectors with ease - but I have a penchant for pain, so Mopar it is :)

I found some of the pins for the PCM plugs but I can't remember where I got them from now.

Yes I get that if you solder and shrink wrap properly it's not a issue but I tried to do as little of that as I can.

I found some of the pins for the PCM plugs but I can't remember where I got them from now.

Yes I get that if you solder and shrink wrap properly it's not a issue but I tried to do as little of that as I can.
I found some PCM ones too and they worked but not great (wobbled more than OEM but seemed to work fine)... the issue for me is the sensor connectors - I could never find pins or replacement housings. The 98+ connectors seem to be more durable and seem to hold up, so if someone would make solid replacement pins, that would be great for rewire jobs.

I always assume a solder job - my butane soldering gun and USA-made adhesive lined 2:1 shrink wrap in the proper size seems to be about as durable as I can get (plus a lot of soldering experience).

Reactions: Wildman
I'd have to go back and watch those videos again but something about the way he was doing stuff just didn't sit well with me. But I my be mistaken and it was some other video too. So I may be putting my foot into my mouth.

Yep I was a Generator mechanic for the first part of my Army career and soldering and repairing wiring harnesses was a big part of what I did for 5 years. Back when I joined they taught us how to rewind a stator and stuff too.

I've been putting off attacking my wiring harness. The one that Backwoods made had issues so I bought a early 01-03/96 TJ harness and a 98 Dodge Ram harness so I can make a whole new harness.

Reactions: pc1p
WOW..... I don't know just how to take that comment..
And now the razzing will start.

I'm glad I can help out. I ain't very knowledgeable about everything TJ but this is one area I have some experiance. And I hope to be able to add some more info here in a while when I try out some other things. If you have other questions ask away and I'll try to answer them.
WOW..... I don't know just how to take that comment..
And now the razzing will start.

I'm glad I can help out. I ain't very knowledgeable about everything TJ but this is one area I have some experiance. And I hope to be able to add some more info here in a while when I try out some other things. If you have other questions ask away and I'll try to answer them.
I’ll have to name the build the wild man build in your honor 😂 lol. I’m gonnah start reading up and really grabbing a game plan tonight. I’ve got plenty of time I’d like to start it in December

I’ll have to name the build the wild man build in your honor 😂 lol. I’m gonnah start reading up and really grabbing a game plan tonight. I’ve got plenty of time I’d like to start it in December

I'll be watching for your build thread and make sure I follow it once you get started. I know for a fact you'll LIKE the V-8 swap once you get it all done. It's worth the time and effort to do and do right. It's a shame that Jeep never offered a V-8 from the factory in the TJ.

BTW I am the only person that can flash out the trans out of an auto PCM.

On swaps, the harness needs to match the PCM. The PCMs are make/model/engine/trans/emissions compliance specific.

Mail-order PCM tuning has gone the way of the do-do bird.....

BTW I am the only person that can flash out the trans out of an auto PCM.

On swaps, the harness needs to match the PCM. The PCMs are make/model/engine/trans/emissions compliance specific.

Mail-order PCM tuning has gone the way of the do-do bird.....

Ryan I didn't know that you could do that. Thank you for posting as I'll stop recommending B&G and just point them towards you.

@Flyin' Ryan Performance is there anything else that has changed over the years as far as the things you can now do that use to have to be sent out for?

Last edited:
I'll be watching for your build thread and make sure I follow it once you get started. I know for a fact you'll LIKE the V-8 swap once you get it all done. It's worth the time and effort to do and do right. It's a shame that Jeep never offered a V-8 from the factory in the TJ.
What everyone wanted. I mean almost everyone I talk too, sure with my 4.88s thw 4.0 has some pep to it. But nothing beats an 8 cylinder. Just even as enjoyment for street heading to the trail.

Reactions: Wildman

OK I watched the first two wiring videos and yes it wasn't the cutting and soldering that bothered me so yes I was putting my "FOOT INTO MY MOUTH" on that so I apologize.
From everyone I have discussed this with and from my experiance working on the wiring harness in my TJ with the V-8 swap it's my opinion that if you are doing a manual transmission swap with the engine swap using the TJ harness and just pinning in the needed wires from the engine donner harness makes the most sense.
But if you are going to be using the automatic transmission in the engine swap then it's my opinion that it's easier and more practical to use the engine donor harness and blend the needed wires/plugs from the TJ harness over to it. It may not be the way every one does it but this is what I understand as being the way to do it.

Hope that helps clear up my comments.

Also @Flyin' Ryan Performance do you know a GOOD place that lists the years & make/model/engine/transmission & PCM numbers since you said they all need to match?
So example: I'm using a 1998 5.9/46RE so where could I find what PCM number I need to be looking for to work with my setup?

Thanks again for all your expertise in this stuff Ryan.

OK since this old thread popped up and I've tried to find a definitive answer but don't remember that I ever have so I'll ask it here.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-ccd-pci-bus-and-a-v8-swap.30367/#post-940800
97-00 TJ is a CCD bus & 01-06 TJ is a PCI bus. Being this and also taking into account FRP's comments above can you use a CCD harness for a PCI series engine? Example: Can you use a wiring harness from a 98-99 Ram/Dakota but your engine & PCM are from a 02 Ram?

OK since this old thread popped up and I've tried to find a definitive answer but don't remember that I ever have so I'll ask it here.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-ccd-pci-bus-and-a-v8-swap.30367/#post-940800
97-00 TJ is a CCD bus & 01-06 TJ is a PCI bus. Being this and also taking into account FRP's comments above can you use a CCD harness for a PCI series engine? Example: Can you use a wiring harness from a 98-99 Ram/Dakota but your engine & PCM are from a 02 Ram?
Engine yes, PCM no.