Radiator Leak... Need replacement recommendation

G-Whiz

TJ Enthusiast
Just noticed I have a major crack in the top radiator cap of my 06 TJ; now Im looking for a replacement...

Beside OEM, what other aftermarket recommendations are available?

Got to flip this around real quick as Ive got a trips planned at the end of the month...

Thanks for you help!

Glen

I know you asked about aftermarket, but if you've spent any time on this forum looking at any of the radiator threads, it always comes back to 'you cannot beat oem for reliability'. Are you able to find an oem in time for your trip?

for most normal repairs, I use OEM; but dont know if I want replace the radiator with OEM, not to keen with the plastic end cap...

A previous thread had good comment about Northern Radiator 205087...

for most normal repairs, I use OEM; but dont know if I want replace the radiator with OEM, not to keen with the plastic end cap...

A previous thread had good comment about Northern Radiator 205087...
Don't replace it with an aftermarket radiator. Mopar ones will last over a decade. Aftermarket ones do not. The experts on this forum have tried all the big aftermarket ones and they are garbage. Do youself a favor and buy the mopar one. They are flat out hands down the best. That's not a opinion. Some vehicles aftermarket radiators are good. TJ is not one of those.

Don't relate it with anything other than OE. They aren't even that expensive, check it out:

Radiator: 55037652AA (Manual Transmission)
Radiator: 55037653AB (Automatic Transmission)

Honestly, think about it like this... Your OE radiator lasts how long on average? I'd say at least 10+ years. Your Chinese radiator from your local auto store on the other hand... Well those haven't been tried and tested that long.

So why not just buy an OE radiator? They are hands down your best option for longevity and reliability. And as I said before, they really aren't that expensive. Try buying a replacement OE radiator for a BMW... Then we'll talk about expensive.

Reactions: Tj04
That doesn't specify what year or transmission, and it's 100 bucks more than the others. Hmm

"DESCRIPTION: brake hose" lol

Yeah description is goofy but it has automatic selected in the options. The first one is for a manual.

My only concern is the plastic cap.... kinda like the welded cap on the Northern.
Gonna pull the plug on the Northern Radiator, because I can get it here by wednesday; the OEM won't arrive until 25th....

I don't think that's worth it man but you've got our opinions. I'd wait a few days for the mopar one.

Best of luck, hope it lasts a more than a few years. Most aftermarket seem to last about 3 years for TJs and mopar ones go as many as 15 years. To me that's again worth the few days. I do realize yours is blown not leaking which is a big deal.

I don't think that's worth it man but you've got our opinions. I'd wait a few days for the mopar one.

Best of luck, hope it lasts a more than a few years. Most aftermarket seem to last about 3 years for TJs and mopar ones go as many as 15 years. To me that's again worth the few days. I do realize yours is blown not leaking which is a big deal.
Or 18 years...;)

mine lasted 11 years...

Okay... after checking to see where Northern Radiators are manufactured, wasnt comfortable that they "may not be made in the USA"; so cancelled my order, and

Went with "Mopar 5503 7653AC, Radiator" and paid the xtra $18 shipping to get it here this wednesday; came out to almost the same overall price as the No Rad.... let's hope it does the job!

I'm going with the majority! hahaha

Reactions: Kyle_W and Tj04
mine lasted 11 years...

Okay... after checking to see where Northern Radiators are manufactured, wasnt comfortable that they "may not be made in the USA"; so cancelled my order, and

Went with "Mopar 5503 7653AC, Radiator" and paid the xtra $18 shipping to get it here this wednesday; came out to almost the same overall price as the No Rad.... let's hope it does the job!

I'm going with the majority! hahaha
Good choice. Let us know how the install goes.

Next, it'd be recommended to change your water pump and thermostat.

I had a radiator leak like you did 3 months ago, and this weekend I had to change out my thermostat by necessity. Both times required me being towed to a shop. Changing out my water pump next weekend before it craps on me too.

I needed a radiator quickly when mine blew..dealer wanted way too much when I was looking, so I went to the local speed shop and went with a Champion

I think the trick to getting longevity out of the stiffer aftermarket radiators is to mount them using a sleeved rubber grommet to cushion the radiator from the twisting that the radiator mounts put on the flanges...the oem plastics will absorb the twisting...right up till it cracks, anyway

I needed a radiator quickly when mine blew..dealer wanted way too much when I was looking, so I went to the local speed shop and went with a Champion

I think the trick to getting longevity out of the stiffer aftermarket radiators is to mount them using a sleeved rubber grommet to cushion the radiator from the twisting that the radiator mounts put on the flanges...the oem plastics will absorb the twisting...right up till it cracks, anyway
How did that radiator work out for you do you think it cooled any better etc ?