Radiator overflow boiling and exploding

Alright as mentioned earlier a few hours ago I found a leak coming from here where the hose connects. I went to the parts store and bought a new hose and clamps for both sides
As you can see it is still pouring out the picture is after I wiped it.
Cant tell if it’s a hole in the radiator near the hose or if it’s coming from the hose.
@Gollywomper so maybe like you said there’s too much pressure in the system but what would cause that?
Unfortunately they did not have the block tester where I went so it’ll have to wait till after work.

image.jpg

hmm reading through a bunch of threads from all forums everyone says not to fill the overflow bottle when its cold... I filled mine up last night maybe that's why it's leaking from there right now? Too full? such a headache I can't wait to confirm whether it's a gasket issue or not.

I did find this thread from a decade ago ha! https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/coolant-explosion-underside-hood-940758/

that's how I first noticed my issue giant explosion under the hood. I would always fill my overflow all the way back up to full... Maybe that's what it is.
I saw @mrblaine mentioned that it was normal for the explosion to happen like that.
so maybe me filling the tank too full is causing it to find a new way out since the overflow is full?

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
No your overflow reservoir is vented. It’s possible that you have just been over filling your reservoir and that is causing some of the issue you are seeing now. You will need to find out and repair the leak near the radiator cap. You may not have any issues other than the leaking radiator. Original post seemed like you were steadily leaking fluid out of your overflow reservoir. Which could be a sign of a head gasket or overheating issue. However if you are topping off the overflow reservoirAnd keeping it over full it surely will overflow when the engine is hot. Get your leak fixed on your radiator then make sure your overflow reservoir level is correct.

I feel your pain, I did a coolant overhaul in January and chased leaks for months. About 5 weeks ago I look under and there is some splatter on the diff near lower radiator side. Looked and looked and couldn’t find the source, today same thing. However, it looks to have originated near the overflow, I’m thinking it may have spewed out of the house connecting on the backside of the overflow tank. There is a line of fluid just next to it and below. It had to be the source, the engine is dirty, so any sign of fresh liquid is easily identified. Not the water pump, thermostat, lower house, or radiator. My tank is half full after running to get my daughter for school, guess I will keep watching it.

Alright guys got some good news, I ran the block tester and the fluid did not change colors. I did let the thermostat open up before running the test.
Maybe radiator is broken in that spot or maybe it's not upto spec since it's an autozone brand? I syphoned some antifreeze so there's less in the overflow might be the easiest thing to try without spending money.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
Alright guys got some good news, I ran the block tester and the fluid did not change colors. I did let the thermostat open up before running the test.
Maybe radiator is broken in that spot or maybe it's not upto spec since it's an autozone brand? I syphoned some antifreeze so there's less in the overflow might be the easiest thing to try without spending money.
Good to hear, I went out an analyzed mine. I think I have too much coolant in there and when I take a certain hill home after it’s been running I think it’s such an incline that it looks out some from the top. All the puddles and liquid points to that. Going to test that theory over time!

If you think the radiator is leaking from that overflow hose you can try a regular hose clamp instead of the spring loaded clamp. Just be mindful of how tight you tighten it since the barb is plastic.

Good to hear, I went out an analyzed mine. I think I have too much coolant in there and when I take a certain hill home after it’s been running I think it’s such an incline that it looks out some from the top. All the puddles and liquid points to that. Going to test that theory over time!
mine would always explode out when climbing a 6% grade for 5 miles. area is called the grapevine here in CA
I'm gonna try that fitting next actually if it's still happening. I'll find out after work.