Radiator Replacement

Willys LJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was driving Ol Blue home last night just after dark with the doors off and got to smelling hot coolant. As I was only a few miles from home, it hadn't started to get into the red yet, so I started babying it to keep the temp down. About the last 3/4 mile or so, it got into the red but never got up to 260 before I pulled under the carport and shut it down. When I shut it down, steam started coming up from the front of the hood. I opened the hood and steam was whistling out from around the rear edges of the top tank near the hose connection. I shut the hood to let it cool down overnight. As the gauge never pegged and 4.0s are made of cast iron goodness, I'm not overly worried about the engine right now.

This morning I got out there and pulled the radiator which looks fine other it's definitely not a Mopar radiator (probably Chinesium?). Since I got the suspension back together, I've been driving it a lot more than I had for the past few years. Anyway, I'm looking at ordering a new radiator for it. Now that Mopar has discontinued part for the TJ Wranglers, what's a good radiator? I've never been a fan of plastic especially on a radiator and haven't heard much good about the reliability of the aluminum ones. I did see a CSF radiator that's brass and copper and made to fit TJs that has caught my attention though and I'm leaning towards. Anyone have any experience with those?

This isn't the first plastic tank radiator I've had issues with and I'm not that fond of the things, especially at that kind of price. Which is why I'm looking at other alternatives.

A Mopar radiator is the best option for a 4.0 TJ. No other rad holds up for 15 years and cools as good.

\I did see a CSF radiator that's brass and copper and made to fit TJs that has caught my attention though and I'm leaning towards. Anyone have any experience with those?

I've got a CSF brass/copper in my YJ. It's been in there about 20 yrs and counting. I use the original green Zerex in it. I think the G05 is OK for the solder as well, but some of the other new coolants are not.

Reactions: Willys LJ
I was driving Ol Blue home last night just after dark with the doors off and got to smelling hot coolant. As I was only a few miles from home, it hadn't started to get into the red yet, so I started babying it to keep the temp down. About the last 3/4 mile or so, it got into the red but never got up to 260 before I pulled under the carport and shut it down. When I shut it down, steam started coming up from the front of the hood. I opened the hood and steam was whistling out from around the rear edges of the top tank near the hose connection. I shut the hood to let it cool down overnight. As the gauge never pegged and 4.0s are made of cast iron goodness, I'm not overly worried about the engine right now.

This morning I got out there and pulled the radiator which looks fine other it's definitely not a Mopar radiator (probably Chinesium?). Since I got the suspension back together, I've been driving it a lot more than I had for the past few years. Anyway, I'm looking at ordering a new radiator for it. Now that Mopar has discontinued part for the TJ Wranglers, what's a good radiator? I've never been a fan of plastic especially on a radiator and haven't heard much good about the reliability of the aluminum ones. I did see a CSF radiator that's brass and copper and made to fit TJs that has caught my attention though and I'm leaning towards. Anyone have any experience with those?

I have a thread on the champion radiator I got from Jegs. It has been flawless and bolts up same as OEM. It’s all aluminum.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2001-radiator-replacement-champion-aluminum.67501/

I've got a CSF brass/copper in my YJ. It's been in there about 20 yrs and counting. I use the original green Zerex in it. I think the G05 is OK for the solder as well, but some of the other new coolants are not.

I went ahead and ordered one from Rock Auto. I just couldn't go the price of a new Mopar one.

A Mopar radiator is the best option for a 4.0 TJ. No other rad holds up for 15 years and cools as good.

There are options every bit as good as the Mopar that don't have that silly $560 price tag.

My factory radiator didnt make it 15 years. And my made in China Spectra is really close to outliving the original.

There are options every bit as good as the Mopar that don't have that silly $560 price tag.

My factory radiator didnt make it 15 years. And my made in China Spectra is really close to outliving the original.

I’ve messed around for too long and spent way too much on Chinesium stock replacement cooling parts on other Jeeps to trust them anymore.

Only genuine Mopar for me, at least when it comes to cooling.

Reactions: CMBD

I'm the 2nd owner on mine. The original owner had it for over almost 15 years and from what I've seen mostly took pretty good care of it. But the radiator I pulled out the other day was not the original. No markings of any kind on it. Most of the steam was coming out along the joint where the top tank met the aluminum core. I've got a short video of the steam blowing out of it, but the forum software wouldn't let me attach it to the post.