Radio antenna suggestions

Joeinnewjersey

TJ Enthusiast
Bought my Jeep with no antenna. Cheap, crappy amazon antenna proved to be cheap and crappy. I see some on Quadratec, are they any good?

A stubby antenna, which barely picks up local stations, might prove to be a regrettable decision in a true emergency situation.

Yeah, stubbys are awful.

I could not think of anything I could use my antenna and so I removed them all from my 3 jeeps. We use the cell phones sync. for our music.

High def radio sounds much better than any app like Spotify or Pandora, but BT streaming is damn good these days. I enjoy my radio and the stubby antenna is useless.

Free stubby if anyone wants it. You pay shipping. No complaints or returns when it doesn't work.

IMG_20200803_195356.jpg

I have been running my jeep thru a car wash here every other so often since I bought it. They are the antenna off before it goes thru. I am on my 3rd base mount. So for driving around and going to the car wash I have a flexible antenna mounted. It pulls in the country stations here pretty well! But, I can still install the original factory antenna anytime.

TL;DR

There is no rule you can only own one antenna.

and Jerry, 73!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I run a short antenna ~12” on my car, no reason it needed to be as tall as my F150’s.

I’ve never noticed any discernible difference in reception.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I'm sure what you posted is true and 30 miles could be fine for many of us, but where can we get a $10 short rubber antenna like that one and what brand is it?
It was actually cheaper than that at Advance auto. You can get an instant 20-25% off online coupon. I drive my Jeep over a mountain (Blue Ridge) and it shocked me that it works as good as the stock one.

Metra Electronics 14" Rubber Mass Antenna
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/metra-electronics-14-rubber-mass-antenna-aaprm1r/12005369-P?clickid=XaFWTeQ9dxyORwp0MdV3iVCmUkiW-AXdyQ:RyM0&irgwc=1&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=ir&utm_campaign=27795&utm_content=404718&c3ch=Affiliate&c3nid=IR-27795#
Part # AAPRM1R

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
@TheBoogieman , Thanks for that. It's a similar style, but different brand, of what's on my wife's JK but for some reason her's has been installed with two different adapters, for some reason it's permanently bent and hardly works but for $9.99 that one's got to be better than hers.

Why it took me 3 1/2 weeks to see your post is beyond me. I actually searched radio antenna this morning which led to this thread. As I scrolled down, it all looked familiar and what do ya know, I asked that question.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Any one have info on the use of an antenna/signal booster? Might help out those who use the shorter antennas or who are looking for better reception.