Radio

TJS

TJ’s TJ
Supporting Member
My radio fuse remains powered until I touch, trigger the windshield wiper, then it powers down any ideas?

My radio fuse remains powered until I touch, trigger the windshield wiper, then it powers down any ideas?

After doing this, if you turn the wipers off, does the radio power up?

Did you put a new fuse in? Sometimes the naked eye misses a blown fuse, so simply drop in a new fuse is a cheap test.

After I pulse the wiper the radio does not power up, or shuts off if it is on.. I also just replaced the unblown fuse to no avail.

After I pulse the wiper the radio does not power up, or shuts off if it is on.. I also just replaced the unblown fuse to no avail.

Okay, I am sold on a bad ground as they cause funky electrical issues.

Since you did work on the ignition switch, I would check the ignition switch harness to make sure it is fully connected, and to follow the wires to make sure they are not pinched anywhere - after you closed her up from the initial ignition switch work.

Also, did you replace the ignition switch, was something wrong with it?

Okay, I am sold on a bad ground as they cause funky electrical issues.

Since you did work on the ignition switch, I would check the ignition switch harness to make sure it is fully connected, and to follow the wires to make sure they are not pinched anywhere - after you closed her up from the initial ignition switch work.

Also, did you replace the ignition switch, was something wrong with it?
I did replace the mechanical part of the switch as the shaft had broken to the switch, and didn’t turn the electrical portion of the switch any longer (a very typical problem I have learned). I was able to start it only by removing the cover from the starter relay and pushing the switch plate in the relay by hand.

I did replace the mechanical part of the switch as the shaft had broken to the switch, and didn’t turn the electrical portion of the switch any longer (a very typical problem I have learned). I was able to start it only by removing the cover from the starter relay and pushing the switch plate in the relay by hand.

Quite possibly the electrical portion of the switch was also bad. You may want to replace the entire unit as I really think it is stemming from a bad ground or bad ignition switch. I am no engineer but that just what it sounds like to me.