Ramsey Pro 9000 winch

Darsmith

TJ Enthusiast
There is an older Ramsey Pro 9000 winch for sale locally. Asking price is $400 but I can't find any reviews on the older Ramsey series winches. Anybody have one and care to share about reliability?

Last edited:
It's a good winch. I'm a huge fan of Ramsey. If there are ever any issues you can always send it into Ramsey for a rebuild. Wouldn't be free but at least it would get done right. BTW I have a Ramsey older than that and it's always served my needs.

I've got one on the front of my Jeep my dad had in storage for years. I've only used it a few times and haven't used anything else to compare it to other than a buddies quadratec that wouldn't freewheel so my experience in winches is very limited.

I recently contacted ramsey for a source of replacement gaskets for the winch as mine is leaking all the old grease out as a nasty sticky oil. One of these days when I get ambitious I'll pull it apart regrease and seal it up. They weren't super helpful but did point me to Summit Racing for gaskets and gave me part numbers.

I like how the housing covers the rope, I think it will make for a nice sun shade when I swap to synthetic rope. The solenoids need to be relocated under the hood IMO though as they make you have to mount the winch pretty far forward. If I ever swap to a Savvy bumper I'll move them under the hood so I can push the winch back.

1587740888544.png

I used to install a bunch of them when I built tow trucks back in the early/mid 90’s. I always liked them and unless something dramatically changed I wouldn’t hesitate in putting one on my Jeep

I have an old Patriot 8000 that I bought used. The best purchase I've ever made for the jeep. SUPER reliable and underrated.

Reactions: ejay
Thank you for your responses. I may go and look at it and make a lower offer, but I've also located 2 Warn M8000s; one fully working with steel cable for (asking) $400 and another without remote and has questionable solenoids for (asking) $200. Same guy has both.

Good luck bro. I know what I'd probably choose, but it sounds like you're going to get a good deal on a solid winch no mater what you choose.

Warn will likely last as long as Ramsey. I used my late 80's/early 90's Ramsey today to pull out a tree stump at church. The stump was like an iceberg. Gave us a ton of trouble despite chopping as many roots as we could pothole.
Inked20200430_102725_LI.jpg

Inked20200430_093502_LI.jpg

20200430_094635.jpg

20200430_100302.jpg

Warn will likely last as long as Ramsey. I used my late 80's/early 90's Ramsey today to pull out a tree stump at church. The stump was like an iceberg. Gave us a ton of trouble despite chopping as many roots as we could pothole. View attachment 157298
View attachment 157299
View attachment 157300
View attachment 157301
It's funny how tuff a stump can be, when you think you have a hardcore off road vehicle and a little stump say's hey good luck buddy I am not going anywhere :)

• Haha
Reactions: Ephry73
It's funny how tuff a stump can be, when you think you have a hardcore off road vehicle and a little stump say's hey good luck buddy I am not going anywhere :)

As you can probably see in the first pic, it wasn't wanting to budge. Pulled my Jeep. Had a guy in the cab on the brake and had a wood block and two rocks under the tires too. Ended up tow strapping a truck to the back end with another guy on the brake to get enough leverage. It finally came out after that.

How did it work out for you?

BTW I'm about to pick up a Pro 9000 for sale locally myself. I think I'll use the Ramsey I have on the front now as a tow hitch rig for the rear. Just have to run a disconnect, some cable and a waterproof Anderson plug.

I ended up getting a very inexpensive Ramsey Pro 8000 from a Jeep graveyard in Rosamond. (That guy has a ton of Jeeps) Works fine, just needs paint.

I contacted Ramsey yesterday to get the manual as I couldn't find it anywhere on their website or other websites. They sent me the manual with parts list this morning. Super nice fellows.