Random Electrical Connection

sgmartz

Hi all - any thoughts on what this electrical connector is for? New to me Jeep. I’m trying to unwind the hodgepodge of electrical previous owners did. There are no obvious mates to this connector. Appreciate any thoughts. It’s part of a larger harness so I’m trying to avoid ripping that apart. Thx

Hi all - any thoughts on what this electrical connector is for? New to me Jeep. I’m trying to unwind the hodgepodge of electrical previous owners did. There are no obvious mates to this connector. Appreciate any thoughts. It’s part of a larger harness so I’m trying to avoid ripping that apart. Thx

This thread is worthless without pics

IMG_9747.jpeg

That's for the speed ("cruise") control servo. See pin out on Page 8W-80-49, connector location drawing on Page 8W-91-16, servo control location drawing on Page 8W-91-18 of the 2004 Factory Service Manual, found in the Resources forum here.

That's for the speed ("cruise") control servo. See pin out on Page 8W-80-49, connector location drawing on Page 8W-91-16, servo control location drawing on Page 8W-91-18 of the 2004 Factory Service Manual, found in the Resources forum here.
Maybe, it also looks like it is in the appropriate location to connect to the optional ABS pump too.

The is definitely the cruise control servo connector, which indicates that you have all the wiring already. If you want to add cruise control, all you’ll need is the servo, bracket and steering wheel buttons.

You’re pretty lucky. My LJ was not pre-wired so had to add all of the wiring.

Reactions: Shank
Maybe, it also looks like it is in the appropriate location to connect to the optional ABS pump too.

Here's what I based my answer on:
  1. The terminal count (4) matches the speed control servo.
  2. The conductor colors appear to match the speed control servo conductor colors (Pin 1 is Tan/Red Stripe, Pin 2 is Light Green/Red Stripe, Pin 3 is Dark Blue/Red Stripe, and Pin 4 is Black):

3. 1684941208073.png
  4. The servo connector is on a harness Y with the Evap Purge Solenoid connector, just like in the photo above:
1684941047064.png

While I'm never 100% confident in diagnosing something over the Internet, I'm pretty sure that it's the speed control servo connector based on those characteristics. But I reserve the right to admit I'm wrong later. :sneaky:

Here's what I based my answer on:
  1. The terminal count (4) matches the speed control servo.
  2. The conductor colors appear to match the speed control servo conductor colors (Pin 1 is Tan/Red Stripe, Pin 2 is Light Green/Red Stripe, Pin 3 is Dark Blue/Red Stripe, and Pin 4 is Black):
  3. The servo connector is on a harness Y with the Evap Purge Solenoid connector, just like in the photo above:

While I'm never 100% confident in diagnosing something over the Internet, I'm pretty sure that it's the speed control servo connector based on those characteristics. But I reserve the right to admit I'm wrong later. :sneaky:

It's not fair to provide evidence supporting your conclusions...

It's not fair to provide evidence supporting your conclusions...

The main reason I did it was to show how one goes about using the manual to figure that out. There is a lot of good information in the manual, and not very many people use it to full advantage. I truly only used the manual to come to my conclusion (my LJ is 25 miles away in my shop at home, so I couldn't just go look at it).

That I could razz Jerry a bit was truly just a secondary reason! :p

Reactions: macleanflood

The early ones with the leak detection pump on the fender use the same connector. Not the same connector keyed differently so you can't plug the cruise onto the LDP, (IIRC) but the same connector. Throws a CEL pretty quickly when you do that.

Having the ABS connector down in that area would leave a connector very rarely used and since I have never seen one down there, I'm gonna bet it is a different harness and not very common.

The early ones with the leak detection pump on the fender use the same connector. Not the same connector keyed differently so you can't plug the cruise onto the LDP, (IIRC) but the same connector. Throws a CEL pretty quickly when you do that.

Jeep had two identical connectors in the same area, where it was possible to cross-connect them? Arrgghh!

And just to be clear to the OP - your 2004 has the leak detection pump in the passenger rear fender well, so the connector Mr. Blaine mentions is not on your TJ in that location.

Thank you I will check that out!

Jeep had two identical connectors in the same area, where it was possible to cross-connect them? Arrgghh!

And just to be clear to the OP - your 2004 has the leak detection pump in the passenger rear fender well, so the connector Mr. Blaine mentions is not on your TJ in that location.

Thank you and noted

Thank you all for a robust discussion. I will look into all of the suggestions, and now I know how to use the online manual.

On a similar but related note, I did notice that in my fuse box there is a space for an ABS fuse but there is not a fuse in there. I figured maybe previous owners pulled it but when I look in that spot there is only one spade. Thoughts? Did these not have ABS?