Random photos: Got anything interesting, unique, strange?

The mellophonium (back) came back from the brass guy after 3 days - I was expecting at least 3 weeks. Shown here with the mellophone (left) and the cornet (right). At first blush, this thing is at least as bad as everyone says it is...

24.jpg

Reactions: srimes
Zorb - do you play or just collect?

I 'noodle'. I played French Horn for about 25 years, and a mellophone for a year or so before that, plus childhood piano lessons (I noodle on the piano too). I got the hankering to pick up a mellophone a couple of years ago. My lip is 20 years out of practice, and I'm not serious enough to play enough to get back into shape, although there are a couple or three bands around here that I could join up with if I really wanted to. So I bought the mello for $75 delivered - its in darn good shape for a 1911 instrument, but if I were serious about it, I'd have to put about $300 into it to rebuild the valves.

I bought the 1962 cornet for $3.25 plus shipping on eBay because I was curious, it was cheap, and I felt sorry for it. After paying shipping, having it worked on, working on it myself, I'm into it for about $220. If I was VERY lucky, I might get $50 for it as I've NEVER seen a horn that completely lost its finish like that one has!

The mellophonium - a contrived name if there ever was one - I purchased for $45 delivered. The seller paid $129.10 shipping from an APO address! I'd been on the lookout for an affordable example for some time for the exact same reason a lot of other people are: That instrument's connection with Stan Kenton. Everyone says the instrument is horrid - I was curious, and I found out quickly that they're right! LOL. It would have ended up on the scrap heap of history, but for Stan Kenton getting ahold of it in the early 60s. I paid $150 to my brass guy to get the bell ironed out and a sticky valve fixed - so I'm into it for $195 - and I actually could probably get that for it. $300 or a bit more isn't unheard of, but some ID10T tried to fix the damaged bell themselves, and didn't do the finish any favors. The difference in playability between the 1970 mellophonium and the 1911 mellophone (they're the same instrument, just shaped differently) is astounding, even though they're both Conns. Despite the 1911 having leaky valves, it plays far better than the mellophonium (thanx to using thicker oil in its valves - think STP). The mellophonium can apparently be "partially" fixed with an expensive mouthpiece, but I'm not sure I care enough.

I'm also on the outlook for an obscure German horn called a Kuhlohorn. Although (expensive) modern versions are still made, it had its peak of popularity in the 1870s, so existing ones are both expensive and usually beat to shit - plus rare.

If your eyes haven't rolled into the back of your head reading all this, this humorous and informative 9:36 video is worth watching. The guy here is from NZ, maybe @Kiwi TJ can understand him, but I have to listen carefully because he does have quite the accent!

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I 'noodle'. I played French Horn for about 25 years, and a mellophone for a year or so before that, plus childhood piano lessons (I noodle on the piano too). I got the hankering to pick up a mellophone a couple of years ago. My lip is 20 years out of practice, and I'm not serious enough to play enough to get back into shape, although there are a couple or three bands around here that I could join up with if I really wanted to. So I bought the mello for $75 delivered - its in darn good shape for a 1911 instrument, but if I were serious about it, I'd have to put about $300 into it to rebuild the valves.

I bought the 1962 cornet for $3.25 plus shipping on eBay because I was curious, it was cheap, and I felt sorry for it. After paying shipping, having it worked on, working on it myself, I'm into it for about $220. If I was VERY lucky, I might get $50 for it as I've NEVER seen a horn that completely lost its finish like that one has!

The mellophonium - a contrived name if there ever was one - I purchased for $45 delivered. The seller paid $129.10 shipping from an APO address! I'd been on the lookout for an affordable example for some time for the exact same reason a lot of other people are: That instrument's connection with Stan Kenton. Everyone says the instrument is horrid - I was curious, and I found out quickly that they're right! LOL. It would have ended up on the scrap heap of history, but for Stan Kenton getting ahold of it in the early 60s. I paid $150 to my brass guy to get the bell ironed out and a sticky valve fixed - so I'm into it for $195 - and I actually could probably get that for it. $300 or a bit more isn't unheard of, but some ID10T tried to fix the damaged bell themselves, and didn't do the finish any favors. The difference in playability between the 1970 mellophonium and the 1911 mellophone (they're the same instrument, just shaped differently) is astounding, even though they're both Conns. Despite the 1911 having leaky valves, it plays far better than the mellophonium (thanx to using thicker oil in its valves - think STP). The mellophonium can apparently be "partially" fixed with an expensive mouthpiece, but I'm not sure I care enough.

I'm also on the outlook for an obscure German horn called a Kuhlohorn. Although (expensive) modern versions are still made, it had its peak of popularity in the 1870s, so existing ones are both expensive and usually beat to shit - plus rare.

If your eyes haven't rolled into the back of your head reading all this, this humorous and informative 9:36 video is worth watching. The guy here is from NZ, maybe @Kiwi TJ can understand him, but I have to listen carefully because he does have quite the accent!

That's awesome, Zorba. My instrument was the Sax. When I was young, I played Baritone Sax in several Big Band, Swing and Jazz bands. I've got a soft spot for Maynard. I "noodle" on piano as well. I've played guitar for many years. We are musical brothers.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Zorba
Me, too! I played alto through high school, but haven't touched one since. Played in orchestra, marching (we only did two events, though), and jazz bands.

Sax in orchestra certainly isn't unheard of, but *is* uncommon. I played in orchestra in HS and college, as its my first love. I was also in a well regarded Wind Ensemble in HS, but things got thinner after I left school. There was the brass band in college - they played "serious band literature" that I was used to from Wind Ensemble, but to say they were thin on instrumentation was a stretch. 2 or 3 horns, a couple of trumpets, 1 trombone, 1 baritone, a smattering of woodwinds, and 1 Bassoon (of all things) led to a thin sound. Then there was the local community band. Large, plenty of instruments on every part, blah, blah, blah - but "serious band literature" was few and far between. They were a marching band, and even for their sit down concerts, about half the pieces were marches or Paso Dobles. I like a good march as much as the next guy, but this was just too much. I bounced back and forth between the two bands for several years, before I just realized that Wind Ensemble was gone for good and I wasn't going to find the group that I really wanted, so I gave it up.

Things actually look better here in Florida, but I'm old, tired, and too busy dancing these days.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Some fcukwit has been poaching deer in my 'hood.
View attachment 532450

When I first saw these this morning, I remembered the local coyotes were going nuts a couple of nights ago. Then my brain kicked in. Coyotes wouldn't have left these behind and, no matter how skilled the 'yote, they can't make straight saw cuts. Reported to the DNR.

I heard back from the DNR this afternoon and they are very interested. The also agree with my assessment that coyotes cannot use a butcher’s saw.
I went back to the sight this morning and, as expected, everything thing was gone. The coyotes got something out of it. The DNR cop said he’ll stop by the house tonight or tomorrow so I can take him to the site. I’d take the LJ but it’s somewhat under the weather; fuel pump issue. Might be the cops’ first ride in a side car.;)

I heard back from the DNR this afternoon and they are very interested. The also agree with my assessment that coyotes cannot use a butcher’s saw.
I went back to the sight this morning and, as expected, everything thing was gone. The coyotes got something out of it. The DNR cop said he’ll stop by the house tonight or tomorrow so I can take him to the site. I’d take the LJ but it’s somewhat under the weather; fuel pump issue. Might be the cops’ first ride in a side car.;)

I hope DNR catches them, keep us posted.

Reactions: Cheesy and reddvltj
What if it's someone who is just doing what ever they can to put food in their families bellys?..

Then they should be better with disposal.

Could be someone who butchered a road kill deer. I knew guys who’d get notified whenever one got hit and go legally get it. Just saying it’s not always poaching.

I kind of see both points.
However, this site is a vacant wooded lot in an area of one to five acre lot estate homes. There are thousands of acres of rural farm land surrounding the place. Why dump in a place where one stands a good chance to be spotted? Where this site is, required the bits and pieces to be packed in, unless it was killed and butchered on the spot. But no gut pile and no blood. If it was butchered roadkill, there is weekly trash pickup.

This may be a local that the Forest Preserve cops have been interested in since January.

What accent ??? he sounds fine to me haha.... its you guys that have the accent anyway. :p

I hope DNR catches them, keep us posted.

I met with the DNR cop yesterday and we hoofed it back to the site. He found bits of fur and not much else. He said the DNR would put up some trail cams and monitor them, but that was about all he said he could do. Which is what I expected.

There'll be plenty of pictures of an old fart walking his old dog.