Re-Gear / Speedometer / Opinion

DC0046

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just completed the break in on my new 5:13s. Thanks all for this recommendation over the 4:88s. So far, I am very pleased. Even with the 5:13s the overdrive on my trans shifts in too early but it is MUCH better than it was. I am also running 33s and my speedometer was reading 72 when the TJ was traveling 60. Since the gear replacement will not work on the TJR, I went with the Speedo Healer by Blue Monkey. Pretty straight forward plug and play; however I did not run the cable up the passenger side as indicated in the instructions. I felt it was way too close to the exhaust and in the engine bay too close to the ignition. I ran the cable up the drivers side as seen in the pics. The programming was also pretty simple. Hopefully, it will be waterproof as indicated. Pretty pricey at $160 but I thought it was the best and simplest option.

65744AF5-8A94-4EE0-A464-59E9D85C2880.jpeg
65744AF5-8A94-4EE0-A464-59E9D85C2880.jpeg
BD79F686-FAF0-4B9B-8987-CDB7FD88B05B.jpeg
23F4C473-588E-4E63-96B7-F74C44D4FC94.jpeg
9F6DBDEE-CFE4-4694-BD79-A08A3EA4CD62.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I should have added that the Speedo Healer allows you to program more than one speed correction for those of you who run different size tires throughout the year.

Reactions: Chris
I went with 4.88s on my last TJ Rubicon with 33s, but I'm thinking I will go with 5.13 gears this time around on my new TJ Rubicon. I take it you like them a lot?

Nothing can cure that pesky overdrive on the 42RLE, but the gears do make it a lot better, I know that after re-gearing my last TJ Rubicon.

I didn't realize this speedo healer is plug-and-play! I'm going to have to snag one of these. Where does it plug into?

Reactions: billiebob
I went with 4.88s on my last TJ Rubicon with 33s, but I'm thinking I will go with 5.13 gears this time around on my new TJ Rubicon. I take it you like them a lot?

Nothing can cure that pesky overdrive on the 42RLE, but the gears do make it a lot better, I know that after re-gearing my last TJ Rubicon.

I didn't realize this speedo healer is plug-and-play! I'm going to have to snag one of these. Where does it plug into?
Chris it plugs into the speed sensor on the back side of the TC.

There is a less expensive universal SpeedoHealer without the TJ wiring harness. It is a bit of a pain to splice it into the tcase output. Also, the universal has a clever top speed recorder. With the ignition in the on position, hit a button and the speedo will point at the last highest top speed. Enjoy that for what it's worth... :)

Reactions: DC0046
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
@Chris did you ever end up getting this and installing? I am seeing that the odo (and speedo as well) not accurate on my TJ with the new tires. Looks like a fairly cheap and easy mod to do myself.

Thank you for reminding me! I haven't ordered it yet, but I think I'll do that today! With 35s, I'm going to need it!

Reactions: psrivats
Thank you for reminding me! I haven't ordered it yet, but I think I'll do that today! With 35s, I'm going to need it!

I just called and ordered mine. Very pleasant folks. They said there is a 2 to 3 week lead time and it was $148.50 shipped. They said installation is very easy and straightforward and that they test every one before they ship out.

I just called and ordered mine. Very pleasant folks. They said there is a 2 to 3 week lead time and it was $148.50 shipped. They said installation is very easy and straightforward and that they test every one before they ship out.

Yes, it's plug-and-play, which is why I like it more than the others on the market, which aren't plug-and-play.

Reactions: billiebob
Ive been running one for a couple years now. Has worked just fine, I just calibrated for my 35s last week and forgot how simple it is to use. I ran mine along the drivers side too, and it is ziptied into place along a wiring harness on the firewall.

Ive been running one for a couple years now. Has worked just fine, I just calibrated for my 35s last week and forgot how simple it is to use. I ran mine along the drivers side too, and it is ziptied into place along a wiring harness on the firewall.
In regards to calibration, is it simple? Like press a button and go out and drive?

Or does it involve some sort of PC connection to access it?

Here are the instructions for calibrating your speedometer with the SpeedoHealer. It couldn't be much easier.

All you need is a GPS and a straight stretch of highway where you can maintain a constant 60 mph on your GPS long enough to record the corresponding speedometer reading. When you return home you locate the speedometer reading on the chart provided in the instructions and input the correction factor shown in the chart.

http://www.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/downloads/SHV4A_User_Guide.pdf

Here are the instructions for calibrating your speedometer with the SpeedoHealer. It couldn't be much easier.

All you need is a GPS and a straight stretch of highway where you can maintain a constant 60 mph on your GPS long enough to record the corresponding speedometer reading. When you return home you locate the speedometer reading on the chart provided in the instructions and input the correction factor shown in the chart.

http://www.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/downloads/SHV4A_User_Guide.pdf

Wow... that is easy indeed! I can't wait to see how much mine is off with 35s.

In regards to calibration, is it simple? Like press a button and go out and drive?

Or does it involve some sort of PC connection to access it?

Yep as you read it is pretty easy. The hardest part for me at the time was I had accidentally switched to a positive number when I really needed a negative percentage. Found out pretty quickly what I didnt wrong.

When I purchased my LJ last year it had "metric 35's" (315/75) and 4.88 gears. The SpeedoHealer correction factor was -6.2% based on a speedometer reading of 64 mph compared to 60 actual mph on my Garmin GPS.

After I re-geared to 5.38 in December I erased the prior correction factor and did the calibration procedure anew with the same "metric 35's." The new SpeedoHealer correction factor was -15.5% based on a speedometer reading of 71 compared to 60 actual mph on my GPS.

Just input the numbers into the unit and its done. Now when I set my cruise control to 65 mph my GPS reads exactly 65 mph and when my odometer indicates that I have traveled one mile my GPS agrees.

Okay, well since I've only got my iPhone, I'm assuming there's got to be a good GPS app that I can pull my speed from. Anyone got any recommendations?

Here's one. I'm not an Apple guy so someone else may have a better idea. I found this one by googling "iphone gps speedometer app"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedometer-speed-box-app/id307529605?mt=8

I figured there's a million of them, just didn't know if maybe someone had some insight on one that might be better (or more accurate) than another.

The ratings on that one seem almost all positive, so I'll give it a try once mine arrives. I'll have to do it again once I go to 5.38 gears.