Re-geared, now I have a vibration above 50 mph

Hate to make it sound simple, but the LJ doesn't seem to have the same harmonic and vibe issues as the TJ. Hence the LJ having the benefit of the longer driveshaft. Another reason why JB Conversions engineered a new solution for the 231/241; their super short SYE. The longer the driveshaft it is the less likely it will create vibes and premature joint wear.

Have you measured the length of the 231/241..ugh.

I've been bouncing around questions about my vibration issues in other jeeper's vibration threads, so I figured I better just start my own thread on the matter.

As the title states, I had my axles re-geared from 3.73 to 4.56. Immediately after re-gear I developed a vibration above 50 mph. It feels like a drive line vibration in my mind. Faster I go the worse the vibe gets. Before the re-gear the jeep drove smooth as glass to 75 mph.

Let's hear your thoughts....

Could be way off here, but trying to keep it simple. (I have a theory to go off here) Did you go with Dana Spicer rings and pinions?

Well, depression sets in .

You know the whole reason I did my own regear was because I didn't want to be apart from my little Rubicon.

We have one very very competent off-road shop in our area but they stay slammed.

I still think the centramatic wheel balancer idea not have Merit if it could be mounted to a harmonic balancer .

The thing about a Harmonic it's like something someone does that's annoying - once you notice it , it drives you nuts .

Hate to make it sound simple, but the LJ doesn't seem to have the same harmonic and vibe issues as the TJ. Hence the LJ having the benefit of the longer driveshaft. Another reason why JB Conversions engineered a new solution for the 231/241; their super short SYE. The longer the driveshaft it is the less likely it will create vibes and premature joint wear.

Have you measured the length of the 231/241..ugh.

I don't know, @Mr. Bills has an LJ and he seems to be one of these guys with the incurable vibrations too!

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Haha! According to Dave, he is almost finished building the components for my Jeep (control arms, mounting brackets, trusses, etc.). Once the red one he is working on is done, mine is next in line. It will be a month that my Jeep has been sitting there as of this coming Monday. Trust me... I'm just as impatient as you are :risas3:
Now we know why the site upgrade appeared...@Chris needed something Jeepish to work on, but no Jeep around...

Reactions: StG58 and tomtaylz
Maybe we all ought to just rip everything out, put in LS engines, GM transmissions, etc. Start fresh, you know?

I'm surprised transmission swaps are not more common. I wonder if an expert could get a 700r4 to work.

Seems like that might solve 2 problems (PCM too with a swap to a manual PCM for the vacuum contolled 700r4).

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I'm surprised transmission swaps are not more common. I wonder if an expert could get a 700r4 to work.

Seems like that might solve 2 problems (PCM too with a swap to a manual PCM for the vacuum contolled 700r4).

You could do it, I'm sure. The issue is no one really does these sort of swaps and keeps the 4.0. If you're going through that much hassle, they just figure, why not put in an LS?

Reactions: StG58
I think the cost would be much less for just a transmission swap, and if you could get a proper OD a regear cost might go away.

I think the cost would be much less for just a transmission swap, and if you could get a proper OD a regear cost might go away.

Oh, no doubt it would. I talked to at least a dozen transmission shops (reputable ones too), all of whom told me that changing out the .69 OD gear in the 42RLE for something less extreme isn't possible.

Surprised transfer case swaps are not more common. The Dana 300 measures in at 10 1/2 inches. The 231/241 is a beast at ~21 1/2 inches. What a drag.

Reactions: zebra12
You could do it, I'm sure. The issue is no one really does these sort of swaps and keeps the 4.0. If you're going through that much hassle, they just figure, why not put in an LS?
And the advantage is power and weight if you choose the right combo. In addition the LS is really cheap, atleast in the south they are surprisingly cheap for a complete engine with harness.

You would probably be better off going with the 32RE. Of course that would also mean another gear swap since there is no longer an OD gear. Then again, nothing is a 100% cure, that and not every issue is 42RLE based, @bobthetj03

Reactions: bobthetj03
And the advantage is power and weight if you choose the right combo. In addition the LS is really cheap, atleast in the south they are surprisingly cheap for a complete engine with harness.

Yeah, there's also plenty of places that do them in those areas. Up here I can't think of anyone who can do one of the swaps other than Jeep West. Maybe there are others, but I don't know of them!

Yeah, there's also plenty of places that do them in those areas. Up here I can't think of anyone who can do one of the swaps other than Jeep West. Maybe there are others, but I don't know of them!
It almost sounds like the regional differences between slow rock crawling and high speed mud.