Re-gearing with Rubicon lockers

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
Hello,

I have a technicall question.. I've been planning on regearing for my 06 rubicon with the auto tranny 42rLe, I'm currently on 285's (33ish) but planning on getting some 315's (35ish) on the next set of tires so, better regear for the 35s, I know that revolution gears would be the route to go and even better since they have the rubicon model gears that fits with the oem lockers.... but there is my doubt... if (more like when) my oem lockers die, since they are known for not being bulletproof, am I going to be able to use any other kind of locker with the revolution gears made for the oem rubicon lockers? or I would be obligated to get a new/used set of OEM rubicon locker if I want to keep the locking function? are the revolution gears for the rubicon models compatible with other not OEM lockers? or if the locker dies I would need to get a new pinion/ring compatible for other kind of locker? would I need to get a new set of gears if my oem lockers goes bad?

Ps. I live in a very small town and I really dont get a lot of highway speeds... my job is 5 minutes from my house so I usually cruise at 15/25 miles per hour. the regearing (5.38s) would cause any "cons" like... loosing a bit of power at the lower speeds or something like that? beside loosing top speed.... (which I really dont care) is there any "cons" for my daily driver jeep to regear that "deep" ??

1687824883634.png

Mine currently has Motive 4.88 thick cut gears that were originally installed on the front and rear Rubicon lockers. When the rear failed, we put in an ARB rd117 and moved the existing ring gear to it.

Sometime soon, I will be putting Revolution thick cut 5.38s for the Rubicon onto that same ARB rd117.
20230617_170848.jpg

Go with thick cut gears which will work on a future replacement locker if you select the high ratio version.

just to be sure I got it... if I get the thick 5.38s from revolution and my locker dies in a future, I would be able to just buy another locker with the same gears? and the other question.. is there any "cons" for getting the 5.38s with the understanding that I usually cruise at very low speeds (its really rare when I get highway speeds) thanks..!

5.38 is the very best ratio for 35's with the 42RLE no matter what speed you're driving. And for a future locker just make sure it's for higher ratios like 3.07 or 3.73 and the thick gears will work perfectly. All you'd need to do is adjust the backlash for the new locker carrier.

5.38 is the very best ratio for 35's with the 42RLE no matter what speed you're driving. And for a future locker just make sure it's for higher ratios like 3.07 or 3.73 and the thick gears will work perfectly. All you'd need to do is adjust the backlash for the new locker carrier.

got it with the 5.38s and the speed.....

what I didnt got completely (sorry, kinda new to me) is the higher ratio and the locker replacement.... so even if I'll have the 5.38s I would need to get a higher ratio locker like 3.07/3.73? that would be necessary to compensate for the thickness of the gears or why? thanks!

got it with the 5.38s and the speed.....

what I didnt got completely (sorry, kinda new to me) is the higher ratio and the locker replacement.... so even if I'll have the 5.38s I would need to get a higher ratio locker like 3.07/3.73? that would be necessary to compensate for the thickness of the gears or why? thanks!
Yes a higher ratio carrier like the Rubicon locker uses has the ring gear mounting surface further away from a high ratio pinion gear which has a larger diameter with higher ratios like 3.73. Lower ratios like 4.88 and 5.13 have smaller diameter pinion gears so the ring gear has to be made thicker for it so its teeth can engage the smaller diameter low ratio (like 5.13 or 5.38) pinion gear adjacent to the Rubicon locker.

In low ratio carriers made specifically for ratios like 4.88, 5.13, etc., which the Rubicon does not come with, the ring gear is positioned closer to the pinion gear so thick ring gears are not required to reach the pinion gear teeth.

Yes a higher ratio carrier like the Rubicon locker uses has the ring gear mounting surface further away from a high ratio pinion gear which has a larger diameter with higher ratios like 3.73. Lower ratios like 4.88 and 5.13 have smaller diameter pinion gears so the ring gear has to be made thicker for it so its teeth can engage the smaller diameter low ratio (like 5.13 or 5.38) pinion gear adjacent to the Rubicon locker.

In low ratio carriers made specifically for ratios like 4.88, 5.13, etc., which the Rubicon does not come with, the ring gear is positioned closer to the pinion gear so thick ring gears are not required to reach the pinion gear teeth.

as always.. thank you Jerry!

@sab it was a good thread.. thank you as well..!!

Hey @Jerry Bransford I hope you’re doing well.

I have 42RLE and i’m planning to go to 35s in the spring.

Im looking at the Currie Axles. The HP44 offers 5.38 but when I look at the LP44 rear it’s only showing 4.88. Can the LP44 accept 5.38? Should I email them?

UPDATE: Emailed Currie website issue which they will resolve. 5.38 is available for both.

Last edited:
just when I was just to order my new revolution 5.38s, I got stuck in 2nd gear.... it appears that is a PCM issue so my 600 bucks went to wranglerfix instead of revolution gears...... its a sad day for me.... but at least I will solve all the tranny issues .... I guess???