Really nice leather steering wheel cover

Almost bought.. until that last post of the paint coming off. Is there a better quality choice?

Or is the paint peeling off a fluke or false?
I've done a couple of these covers on my DD, a 2005 Chevy Avalanche. The first one, the blue started flaking after a couple years. The 2nd one, the black, has lasted over 2 yrs now & still looks great. Even if I only get a year or two out of them, they look a lot better than whats under them, only takes me an hour or so to install, and their cheaper than dirt.

36513431483_3e13a6c028_o.jpg

37409494692_c079d9917e_o (1).jpg

I'm thinking maybe the grey paint might be avoided. Depends on where you park and sun though too.

Here's my pics:

It takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to do. But it's totally worth it. IMHO. My steering wheel looked like trash before this. And for 10 bucks I can afford to replace it if it goes to hell. Maybe there is a better one out there? In the meantime mine looks great. My fingers are a little sore. And it's tedious work. But I really like how it turned out.

A few tips. Pull it tight while tucking the rear leather under the front leather. Pulling it tight - tightened up about 6 rows of stitches. As you go the first one will come a little loose as you stitch the next one. But after each one pull it tight and numbers 2 thru 6 will stay pretty tightened. I would also avoid tying knots except where the cross members meet. I put a knot before and after each cross member. I put one knot about 5 inches in on the right side and it looked like crap. So I stopped doing that and just made one entire loop of thread around the wheel. It comes with two lengths of thread. And two needles. I only used one length. So there is plenty of thread to get the job done. You could probably double it. But I don't think it's necessary and you'll end up with some ugly knots. Unless you can hide them on the reverse side.

I'm just amazed at how custom fitting it is. You'd think this was made for a TJ. Good luck with yours. Look forward to more pics. :)

20181229_122237.jpg

20181229_122252.jpg

20181229_131332.jpg

Found this picture in the reviews on Amazon. The customer reported that the paint is peeling off the cover after approximately 1 year of use.
Guess it is not died through, only painted leather.

View attachment 69667

This does not look like the one I bought. I'm not sure how you would get stitches on the outside of the steering wheel(?!). That makes no sense. Look at my first pic of it just loosely wound around the outside of the steering wheel. And you'll see what I mean.

Paint? Why in the hell is there paint on a leather steering wheel cover? Either it's not real leather (i.e. vinyl), or someone doesn't know what they are doing. Leather isn't painted... it's dyed.

Almost bought.. until that last post of the paint coming off. Is there a better quality choice?

Or is the paint peeling off a fluke or false?
Certainly not an issue with mine. Mine is black. The leather on mine appears very solid no color issues. It’s been on the Jeep for about 7 months so far.

Reactions: Sancho
Did you remove the old leather wrap or just put the new one over it and stitch it up?

There wasn't any leather on my '99 sport. So I'm not sure. But it went on with no leather just fine. I would think it might be a little tight with leather already on it. But I would want to preserve the original leather just to be safe.

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
I am not sure I would let that dissuade me since so many things on your hands affect paint, particularly hand lotion.

And jewelry. My wifes cars are also getting chewed up by her wedding ring. Her MR2 she had when we met was torn straight thru just from her rings. And she doesn't wear alot of them.

I'll be interested to see if you can make the fit around the spokes look decent. I couldn't figure it out when I got the same kit a few months ago.

I agree. I did the Wheelskins cover (good quality thick dyed leather) and that is a drawback for someone who is overly sensitive to such things. My attempt turned out good enough and it added a little bit of diameter which helps. That $200 wheel looks great but I don't know if I could spend that much on a re-cover.

wheelskins.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Try this method to clean the leather wheel without getting it sticky:
Lightly clean the leather with a damp magic eraser. Wipe it off as you go. It will remove the oils without taking off the dye. After it’s clean, apply a good leather conditioner. McGuires gold class is my favorite.
When you are done your wheel will have that nice mat OEM finish again.
E0E44F6F-8518-4DBB-8DF6-35D47E7B55CA.jpeg

Lightly clean the leather with a damp magic eraser. Wipe it off as you go. It will remove the oils without taking off the dye. After it’s clean, apply a good leather conditioner. McGuires gold class is my favorite.
When you are done your wheel will have that nice mat OEM finish again. View attachment 70022
Which steering wheel cover did you use? This looks great!

I did the cover in the link in grey. It was super easy and I was able to tuck it under the spokes for a factory look. I got the grey which doesn't match at all. Way too light I'm assuming the black is going to be way to black so until i find something that matches the color better, this will have to do.

20190803_195947.jpg

20190803_195933.jpg

I did the cover in the link in grey. It was super easy and I was able to tuck it under the spokes for a factory look. I got the grey which doesn't match at all. Way too light I'm assuming the black is going to be way to black so until i find something that matches the color better, this will have to do.

View attachment 107940

View attachment 107941

That's sweet. I wonder if I could get it to fold under like that after the fact? I'm not doing it over though. Way to tedious. lol. Looks like a really nice job man. I don't think black would be to black. It would tie in to your center dash bezel and other black items in the cabin.

When you are done your wheel will have that nice mat OEM finish again. View attachment 70022

Dude. Mine didn't even have the leather. It was straight up plastic or rubber. That the sun had ruined to the point that it was almost gooey and sticky. You couldn't stand to touch it. Your steering wheel is beautiful compared to what I have hiding under the leather cover. 😂 I think some of the sport models didn't come with leather. Or at least mine didn't as best I can remember. It was like that rubber with a leather pattern formed into it. Unless I'm completely mistaken. lol. Either way it was horrible to touch from disintegration. No amount of cleaning was gonna fix it.

EDIT - Mine was like this one. Made of rubber.

000000000.jpg