Rear bumper that hides body lift

Always amazes me that folks will spend a huge amount of time and effort and still not get there. But hey, at least you can't see my body lift.

no uptravel.PNG

Always amazes me that folks will spend a huge amount of time and effort and still not get there. But hey, at least you can't see my body lift.

View attachment 104380
Deserves a new thread, but not having a solid understanding, Ill ask one question.

As soon as the bottom of that king bump touches the axle pad, is that it, no more up travel? Or does it have some uptravel built into the bump?

Pure observation by my uneducated eye, but it looks like the bump still has 3-4 inches of up-travel in it...until it bottoms out in it air bump body.

Deserves a new thread, but not having a solid understanding, Ill ask one question.

As soon as the bottom of that king bump touches the axle pad, is that it, no more up travel? Or does it have some uptravel built into the bump?

Pure observation by my uneducated eye, but it looks like the bump still has 3-4 inches of up-travel in it...until it bottoms out in it air bump body.
Look at the shock, it has maybe 4" of up being generous. That puts the air bump at hitting the pad as soon as you run over almost anything. The air bump is supposed to slow the shock down at the end of it's stroke to assist with a hard hit, not be part of the primary suspension. If you had a shock with 6" of up, you would like a 2" air bump to hit with 2" of stroke left on the shock shaft.

Met and talked with this YJ owner from Georgia. We talked in detail about his 1 inch body lift, how unhappy he was with the unsightly body lift gap, (butt crack) @Starrs @Chris and his method of hiding it was simple and clean.

Here is his Jeep coverage from his magazine article

http://www.fourwheeler.com/jp-dirt-n-drive/2018/1811-lq9-v-8-1995-wrangler-yj-is-hard-to-ignore
Pics from the magazine (I added the arrows): View attachment 104370View attachment 104371View attachment 104372View attachment 104373View attachment 104374

Personal pics I took for more detail:
View attachment 104375View attachment 104376View attachment 104377View attachment 104378

Any reptuable Jeep shop could make easy work of this. Likely even a reptuable welding shop could make short work of this requirement for a TJ/LJ owner.

IMO the bumpers that “hide” the “buttcrack” are way too big, bulky, and cheap looking.
Very clean!

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Met and talked with this YJ owner from Georgia. We talked in detail about his 1 inch body lift, how unhappy he was with the unsightly body lift gap, (butt crack) @Starrs @Chris and his method of hiding it was simple and clean.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/jp-dirt-n-drive/2018/1811-lq9-v-8-1995-wrangler-yj-is-hard-to-ignore
Pics from the magazine (I added the arrows): View attachment 104370View attachment 104371View attachment 104372View attachment 104373View attachment 104374

View attachment 104375View attachment 104376View attachment 104377View attachment 104378

Any reptuable Jeep shop could make easy work of this. Likely even a reptuable welding shop could make short work of this requirement for a TJ/LJ owner.

IMO the bumpers that “hide” the “buttcrack” are way too big, bulky, and cheap looking.

Just goes to show that you don't need to do much to hide that unsightly gap ;)

Reactions: Fouledplugs

That plate is awfully close to the body... The body mounts do have a certain amount of movement and I'd be worried that plate will hit the body. Also, why is it made from 3/16" plate?

Reactions: jjvw
Look at the shock, it has maybe 4" of up being generous. That puts the air bump at hitting the pad as soon as you run over almost anything. The air bump is supposed to slow the shock down at the end of it's stroke to assist with a hard hit, not be part of the primary suspension. If you had a shock with 6" of up, you would like a 2" air bump to hit with 2" of stroke left on the shock shaft.

So now your breaking down this guys build? So he isn’t using all his uptravel out of the shock? Maybe he isn’t done with his build, or maybe he ain’t cut the inner fenders yet for more uptravel. Ohhhh no, who cares bro! Maybe he doesn’t use all his downtravel either. Pointing out something that you have no idea about and acting as though it’s a shit build...that’s bad juju. Next time compliment the build instead of tearing into it.

• Haha
Reactions: EzPeezy
So now your breaking down this guys build? So he isn’t using all his uptravel out of the shock? Maybe he isn’t done with his build, or maybe he ain’t cut the inner fenders yet for more uptravel. Ohhhh no, who cares bro! Maybe he doesn’t use all his downtravel either. Pointing out something that you have no idea about and acting as though it’s a shit build...that’s bad juju. Next time compliment the build instead of tearing into it.
Go fuck yourself.

So let's say he wanted 4" of up travel (or otherwise couldn't avoid that). What is the benefit of riding the air bumps?

So let's say he wanted 4" of up travel (or otherwise couldn't avoid that). What is the benefit of riding the air bumps?
You do realize your attempting to pick apart a photo at an angle and we have no idea how close the air bump stops compared to the shock travel stops?

Arguing to argue? Cause If you ain’t, there’s no way to know unless you get physical and factual measurements.

So let me continue to be the bad guy for telling blain to chill out. Oh no i called out Blaine, oh noooooo.