Rear end problems

snmtj304

So on a little road trip my tj rear end decided to do something it’s never done before. It’s almost a whining and its a terrible vibration. It has a stock suspension so I know it’s nothing with driveshaft and I just replaced the spider gears and all the rear end bearings (carrier,pinion,axle Ect.). What has me so lost is that i can’t turn the yolk by hand with it off the ground. But spider gears turn freely. Any ideas?

Last edited:
It's confusing what has been done and its current state. Is the carrier in or out? What is pall the rear end bearings? T

The pinion should take very little force to turn by hand. Its spec to turn with the factory bearings is only 10 to 20 in. lbs. which is easily turned by hand. That translates to less than 1 ft-lb. to 1.6 ft-lbs.

Did you change the pinion seal lately? How burnt was the oil you drained out to replace all that stuff?

I finally got the pinion pulled (had to use a impact puller to drive the yolk off) the upper pinion bearing had exploded and the race locked in against the yolk and sealed it in. I had just replaced it not even two weeks ago so I called the auto part store to order a new one and they gave me the nice information that another individual last month also had the same thing happen so they’re saying they have had faulty bearings!