Rear end rattle

LittleGiant

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Developed a rattle recently and can’t find the reason. I’ve checked everything I can think of and nothing is loose that I can see so far. It’s sounds like metal rattling when I drive over bumps. I know for a fact it’s in the rear.

This is what I’ve checked:

Exhaust hangers
Exhaust heat shield not hitting muffler
Track bar not hitting gas tank
Shocks are torqued properly
Sway bar links and bushings all all new and torqued properly
Upper and lower control arms new and torqued properly
Lug nuts are torqued properly
Spare tire secure
E brake cables secure everywhere

Yep
Stock tailpipe is banging on both track bar and sway bar but my suspension is no where near stock.
Will be doing a cat back hopefully this weekend (along with a bunch of other mods) and take care of the issue.

Noticed it most on slow bumpy turns.
Even on street driving.

Hmm..I’ll check it out. It just sounds like a bunch of metal clanging around even over the smallest bump on the street

Developed a rattle recently and can’t find the reason. I’ve checked everything I can think of and nothing is loose that I can see so far. It’s sounds like metal rattling when I drive over bumps. I know for a fact it’s in the rear.

This is what I’ve checked:

Exhaust hangers
Exhaust heat shield not hitting muffler
Track bar not hitting gas tank
Shocks are torqued properly
Sway bar links and bushings all all new and torqued properly
Upper and lower control arms new and torqued properly
Lug nuts are torqued properly
Spare tire secure
E brake cables secure everywhere

Hardtop? My glass hinges wore out and the rattle was hard to locate. Replaced and it's fine.

Look at the lower rear shock mounts , the holes can get wollowed out even if the bolt is torqued properly.
Lay on the ground and have someone bounce on the bumper you may see movement and that fun little rattle !

Reactions: LittleGiant
Spare carrier? Mine lost a little rubber bumper in the latch and clanked like he'll till I found it.