Rear Headrests in a TJ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Has anyone ever added rear headrests to their TJ? It sure seems like a nice thing to have, especially with the kids sitting in the back. If anyone has ever done it, I'd love to see pictures and hear how you did it!

I haven't done it personally, but I do have an extra rear seat in storage that I may try this and adding a subwoofer under the seat.

there's a write up over on wranglerforum if you Google TJ rear seat head rest

Reactions: Chris
I haven't done it personally, but I do have an extra rear seat in storage that I may try this and adding a subwoofer under the seat.

there's a write up over on wranglerforum if you Google TJ rear seat head rest

Yep, I’ve seen it, it’s on this forum as well. I may attempt this in the future as I feel it would be a great mod to have with the kids in the back.

Yep, I’ve seen it, it’s on this forum as well. I may attempt this in the future as I feel it would be a great mod to have with the kids in the back.

Mine still rides in a booster seat with a back, but I’ll probably add the headrest for when he’s big enough to ride without the booster.

Mine still rides in a booster seat with a back, but I’ll probably add the headrest for when he’s big enough to ride without the booster.

Yes, I've got our 5 year old in a high back booster seat, which compensates for no headrest. Our 2 year old daughter is in a baby car seat, so she's also fine as well. I'm more or less thinking of the future, when they are old enough to be out of car seats.

I put head rests in mine, but I can't seem to find any pics and the back is too loaded up with crap to flip the seat up. I used head rests from an 02 Jetta, drilled holes for the metal arms to fit into and slid them down in. They're not perfect, but better then nothing, and the kids are much happier having them there.

Helps if I look in the right album, lol.

IMG_2687.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG

I added some headrests a couple years ago (well I can't lie, my husband did all the welding LOL). The headrests are out of a 2013 Toyota Sienna, I believe. However, I do like the headrests the above person posted better - I may change mine. I can still use the tumble/fold seat but I have the add-a-trunk so I don't use that feature. The headrests can be removed somewhat easily if needed.

11040996_10206423863017865_2130440166_o.jpg

10407469_10206422768070492_7762287780220564580_n.jpg

11081355_10206424228226995_2491191380814608535_n.jpg

rear view.jpg

1623960_10206423862177844_340195604_o.jpg

I've also got our 6 year old in a high back booster seat, but I`ve bought one from Backless Models. Our 2,5 year old son is in a baby car seat, so he's pretty fine too. I believe in some years they`ll be old enough to be out of car seats and who knows may be I`ll buy a new jeep for my wife to drive them to school:nut:

I added some headrests a couple years ago (well I can't lie, my husband did all the welding LOL). The headrests are out of a 2013 Toyota Sienna, I believe. However, I do like the headrests the above person posted better - I may change mine. I can still use the tumble/fold seat but I have the add-a-trunk so I don't use that feature. The headrests can be removed somewhat easily if needed.
Done right. Very impressive

View attachment 32270

View attachment 32271

View attachment 32272

View attachment 32273

View attachment 32274

I need to take on this project. My oldest is at the limit of his booster and I don't like him not having a headrest.

No offense to the other guy but I trust this more than just drilling holes through the tube, if that's even possible for the 2006 since it looks like a formed channel instead of a tube. I will be looking for ways to save weight though, 'cause I do pull the rear seat when I go solo camping and it's heavy enough without what looks like a square tube added along the bottom.

Something like this...and a lot of it could be angle iron since only the "receivers" for the head rest need to be tubes.

1712686657770.png

Reactions: red02tj
I need to take on this project. My oldest is at the limit of his booster and I don't like him not having a headrest.

No offense to the other guy but I trust this more than just drilling holes through the tube, if that's even possible for the 2006 since it looks like a formed channel instead of a tube. I will be looking for ways to save weight though, 'cause I do pull the rear seat when I go solo camping and it's heavy enough without what looks like a square tube added along the bottom.

Something like this...and a lot of it could be angle iron since only the "receivers" for the head rest need to be tubes.

View attachment 516976
Here's what a 2 door JK seat frame looks like to support the head rests for comparison.

PXL_20220115_220136251.jpg

PXL_20220115_221110218.jpg

• Love
Reactions: freedom_in_4low