Rear pinion problems

runninwild

So in trying to get my driveshaft lined up etc... I'm trying to replace the rear pinion yoke in a dana 44 went to point and spring ( a driveshaft specialty shop) and had them measure the yoke turns out its discontinued which the more I get into this jeep I just purchased I'm finding more and more wrong... the dana says 3.73 gear ratio on tag someone swapped the rear end out because previous owner welded the spider gears together.... I looked at the ring gear and did the math comes out as a 4.11 which is fine but I cannot find this pinion shaft yoke anywhere it's a 26 spline the spicer number the guy gave me is x2-4-799-1 anyone have some suggestions I wasnt planning on redoing the entire suspension system along with gear work

Your mechanic said the Dana 44 pinon yoke is discontinued?

The gear ratio doesn't affect the pinion yoke, btw.

the guy i bought it off of must have swapped the guts out and put some odd ball pinion in it the number he gave me out of the spicer book was x2-4-799-1 and its a 1030 series with 26 splines the splines is the odd ball thing

the guy i bought it off of must have swapped the guts out and put some odd ball pinion in it the number he gave me out of the spicer book was x2-4-799-1 and its a 1030 series with 26 splines the splines is the odd ball thing
The link I posted has a drop down menu for 1310, 1330 and 1350 yokes.

That number you have been given is not a good number. Unless you are running a Dana 44 from the sixties they are all 26 spline. A common replacement if you are running a 1310 ujoint use yoke PN 2-4-8091x which is the ubolt style vs the strap and bolt PN 2-4-8091-1x.

Reactions: bromel
Ok so I'm reading that The dana 44 does not have a crush sleeve washer and I didnt see one so can i just re use the old nut with the new pinion and use blue lock tite? Torque to 180 ft lbs

Ok so I'm reading that The dana 44 does not have a crush sleeve washer and I didnt see one so can i just re use the old nut with the new pinion and use blue lock tite? Torque to 180 ft lbs
The TJ 44 does not have a crush collar. If you are reusing the old nut use red loctite and torque closer to 200 ft lbs. New nut should be torqued to 200-225 ft lbs.

Hmm.. my nut looks exactly like this it didn't have a Washer behind it it was built into the nut as 1 piece... supposedly it's a 2005 rear end

Screenshot_20210625-054205_Firefox.jpg

Looks like its 5017755AA I can get it almost halfway on by hand it's rather tight by hand and then it stops I can see why reusing a old nut is a bad idea because I can just almost put the old nut the whole way on by hand

Well unfortunately for the 2nd time I dont think this is the right yoke either.. fits on shaft but I cant push it by hand as far back as the original one the spline depth for shaft is the same but the new one is alot less thicker in some areas also has a ring on the yoke the original Has nothing on it

20210626_131239.jpg

20210626_131255.jpg

20210626_131213.jpg

20210626_131301.jpg

Well unfortunately for the 2nd time I dont think this is the right yoke either.. fits on shaft but I cant push it by hand as far back as the original one the spline depth for shaft is the same but the new one is alot less thicker in some areas also has a ring on the yoke the original Has nothing on it

View attachment 261559

View attachment 261560

View attachment 261561

View attachment 261562
About ready to get the welder out and die grinder and call it a day just needs Some fill where the end caps sit almost afraid to run that down and have something very bad happen

Yoke was just slighty wore out on the end u joint fit perfect if it was pushed into yoke found the u joint straps to be badly out of shape took the welder and put spots on ends used a old cup put grease on it to keep it from sticking used a small file to shave sides down fits like a brand new yoke will report Back in a bit

Everything Seems to be fine I put yoke back in torqued to 200 lbs put blue loc tite on no leaks yet thanks for everyones help I really appreciate it!