Rear shelf build

Ad man

Hi all, I used to have a JK but sold it. 2 years later I missed the Jeep, so bought this 99 TJ renegade (in Australia it wasn’t sold as the Sahara).

I wanted a storage shelf.

So I couldn’t find any info on a shelf that was one piece across without a support underneath. I gave it a go and came up with this. It works really well.
I used structural plywood and 3mm steel to make it. Obviously one piece of ply wouldn’t fit in (even though I tried!).
There is flat steel under each end and angle steel on top at each end. All bolted together with 8xM10 bolts. The steel gives all the support you need. I put marine carpet on top. A few eye bolts in the spots for the hardtop bolts and presto!

This will also work when I remove the hardtop for summer and will act as an extra security feature. Total cost was $150 AUD.

easy to make and install. Why haven’t I see designs like this before? Am I missing something?

1B56436B-10B0-4B2D-AE31-1AFCDC6A3489.jpeg
4DCF0B8F-E775-471C-AAE0-F6D96CF9F299.jpeg
07CF2D95-C5D7-40A3-BFB1-75F3B7F213A7.jpeg
01B8C62F-09AA-482B-92E3-CADD5A3CE561.jpeg
71AFD101-C694-472D-BE1B-BEA15EB9266E.jpeg

Looks good. I will be looking to build something like this soon. I've eyed a few build threads with similar ideas of a platform with storage underneath that can be locked via the tailgate. I need to keep the top at a height that is good for my 2 pups, but still have enough room underneath for my gear. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome from across the ditch and nice work..I just need to get rid of my kids so I can take out the back seat haha

Update: primed and enamel spray onto the steel for that “factory” look.

I painted the wood at the back white as well but I’ll probably change that, too much white there. Suggestions?

7EF6E2FA-35D3-4B2D-9741-28BEF045F4EB.jpeg
1737B552-E4BF-4CE3-9D87-EE065A3113EF.jpeg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I've been thinking of a shelf myself but never thought about going that high. May have to consider it. How would it handle a heavy cooler on top?

I've been thinking of a shelf myself but never thought about going that high. May have to consider it. How would it handle a heavy cooler on top?
It would take a cooler easily, I could jump on that! Structural plywood with 3mm steel at each end sandwiching the wood.

I put the cooler underneath though with the lighter stuff on top just in case of an accident. I don’t want the esky and contents spilling!

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Hey Ad, quick question, does this sit on top of the tub edge, or down on the wheel well? I cant tell for sure, and I'm thinking of doing something very similar

Hey Ad, quick question, does this sit on top of the tub edge, or down on the wheel well? I cant tell for sure, and I'm thinking of doing something very similar
Hi Tarmijo, it sits on top of the tub. In this case above the edge of the hard top. The side bolts holding it down are the same holes used to hold down the hard top (just the bolts are a bit longer and have eye hole nuts). If you take off the hardtop it would still sit on the tub edge and create a nice bit of added security for the rear.

I didn’t want it to sit on the wheel well. It makes a nice small added space.

happy to help with anything you need.

it works really well and as a bonus cuts road noise a lot!
33E71754-4247-4A44-8411-54D52C9743BC.jpeg
16288283-219C-4792-BF40-783C22A1C561.jpeg