Rebuild, replace, or upgrade Trac Loc?

You may not be accounting for the install labor cost of replacing the clutch kit...
I'll put up a shop estimate this evening after work.

Don

Why would I include labor? Reread my post, I said ''you'' meaning the OP could rebuild it. You don't need a shop to do it, if he has a little mechanical skills he can do it himself.

Jerry, I would agree with the 3 hour quote. That video was very well done, but there were a lot of edits. I guarantee that he didn't do that in 9:33.
The first one of those I did probably took at least 3 hours, I didn't have the factory tools and used a bolt and a pair of nuts and washers to compress the belleville discs. Interesting that he used 2 sets clamping the clutch packs, I came up with a single bolt in the middle with 2 nuts pushing against the side gears.

Regardless of the argument of how much time it would take, the True-Trac is a far superior unit to a Trac-Loc. There is a proposition worth arguing about!

Don

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My Dana 44 came with Trac Loc and as someone pointed out its probably shot after 81k miles. I'm trying for now to keep this Jeep simple, frugal and effective. It already came with a Dana 44, a blutooth stereo and an aftermarket amp. I'm cutting down the bumper and adding a winch plate, and I'm part sourcing a 2" lift so I don't have to pay $1000 for a kit with shocks I don't want. So the question is, rebuild, replace, or simply buy something like a true locker?

By using the word 'frugal' I would guess your trying to save money, if that is indeed the case 60 bucs is waaay less than 460 bucs. Plus the extra labor for having to reset the gears with the trutrac.

I really like the spirit I see in this forum, with members advocating 'frugal' behavior, and doing things themselves instead of just taking it to a shop.

Now, it is true that I make my living at a shop, but I would also encourage anyone who wants to save money to learn and do it themselves. Setting up gears is not Black Magic.

Buy or make the tools you need, educate yourselves by either youtube videos or reading factory manuals. Dive in and find out for yourself, that is the 'built not bought' mindset. After all, that is how I got started...

Don

Reactions: Tioga river Rat
There's no gear setup required to replace a TracLoc with a Truetrac. The carrier would just need to be shimmed l/r to set its backlash but that's no big deal. Even that's not always required.

It would need to be checked and the shops around here charge for that. Plus there new carrier bearings that have to be installed on the TT. I know the TT is much better but its not more 'frugal'. If money isn't an object he can just go with the E-locker and be done with it.

Reactions: DuncLJ