Recommendations for new control arm bushings

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
Less than a year that I replaced the bushings in this skyjacker control arms and they are already worn... Im thinking in the Tier 2 of the core 4x4 or the Rubicon Express super flex adjustable control arms.. No more than 300 per pair what would be your recommendation?

20221205_132526.jpg

20221205_132526.jpg

Do you want to buy bushings that will last a long, long time, or do you want to buy more bushings that will fail in a year or two?

Do you want to buy bushings that will last a long, long time, or do you want to buy more bushings that will fail in a year or two?

I would like something that wont break the bank but would last longer than this crap.. I've read some good stuff about the core 4x4... But not sure if the tier 2 are good enough.. Or the tier 3 is the way to go..

Quality joints will cost a bit and you wont see a lot of recommendations for RE. If you're set on Core, get the set that has the johnny joints in them.

Reactions: jjvw
Quality joints will cost a bit and you wont see a lot of recommendations for RE. If you're set on Core, get the set that has the johnny joints in them.

Tier 4 I believe is what gets you JJs in both ends. Tier 3 is one end, which is probably ok if a factory type bushing but I wouldn't use them if it's split polyurethane.

But.. NAPA bushings for the skyjacker?

It won’t matter -most any bushings that will fit in those arms and are the same size bolt will be better- But you need something with some flexibility because you have solid arms and you’re going to stress your control arm brackets otherwise

I don’t like to say too much because I don’t know your entire set up and budget but hopefully we can find a way to help you

Tier 4 I believe is what gets you JJs in both ends. Tier 3 is one end, which is probably ok if a factory type bushing but I wouldn't use them if it's split polyurethane.

Tier 2 ($290 per pair)
  • Built using 1.625″ OD 3/16″ Wall tubing.
  • Welded Currie Johnny Joint on adjustable end.
  • Rubber or Polyurethane on fixed end.
Tier 3 ($330 per pair)
  • Built using 1.75″ OD 5/16″ Wall DOM tubing.
  • Forged Currie Johnny Joint on adjustable end.
  • Tapered Flex Polyurethane on fixed end.

I wouldn't go for the Tier 4 because is just too much money for what Im looking for, around 440 per pair... not sure if the Tier 3 would be better than the rubber from the Tier 2...

and looking for more options about the CA's, they are expensive!!! that's why I'm looking for something that will be better than my skyjacker but not something that will break the bank... so Core 4x4 looked like a good option

Tier 2 ($290 per pair)
  • Built using 1.625″ OD 3/16″ Wall tubing.
  • Welded Currie Johnny Joint on adjustable end.
  • Rubber or Polyurethane on fixed end.
Tier 3 ($330 per pair)
  • Built using 1.75″ OD 5/16″ Wall DOM tubing.
  • Forged Currie Johnny Joint on adjustable end.
  • Tapered Flex Polyurethane on fixed end.

I wouldn't go for the Tier 4 because is just too much money for what Im looking for, around 440 per pair... not sure if the Tier 3 would be better than the rubber from the Tier 2...

and looking for more options about the CA's, they are expensive!!! that's why I'm looking for something that will be better than my skyjacker but not something that will break the bank... so Core 4x4 looked like a good option

I would prefer factory rubber over a cylindrical polyurethane bushing. I don't know what they call a "tapered flex" polyurethane but if they're the same old poly bushings they take all of the flexibility that the stock control arm allows and focus it all on the mount. I don't like that.

Do you wheel? If not, I'd just get clevites that fit and you can press in. If you do the answer is harder and more expensive.

Do you wheel? If not, I'd just get clevites that fit and you can press in. If you do the answer is harder and more expensive.

Like, Way more expensive. I'd also argue that the Tier 2 Core arms are "better" than the Tier 3. I like rubber more than polyurethane when it comes to suspension mounts. We're not trying to hold 2 g in a corner, we want flexibility, Clevite rubber is more flexible than Polyt...which is why you want poly on a SCCA car and rubber on a Jeep.

Less than a year that I replaced the bushings in this skyjacker control arms and they are already worn... Im thinking in the Tier 2 of the core 4x4 or the Rubicon Express super flex adjustable control arms.. No more than 300 per pair what would be your recommendation?

View attachment 381988

View attachment 381986

If I had to pick between the two I’ll go with core 4x4 tier 2 with rubber bushing

Reactions: Don Bulee
If I had to pick between the two I’ll go with core 4x4 tier 2 with rubber bushing

Thanks man.. I mean.. Is not like Im inloved with the brand.. But for my budget I think is the best option... I know there are better control arms but... They are expensive...

I do wheel..

If you are using your shock travel and you are are using more travel than stock, then you want something more than bonded rubber bushings on either end. And you definitely do not want split poly bushings.

Reactions: Don Bulee