Recommendations On Flat Style Flares

WHBNM

TOOL Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I am looking for some opinions on flat style fender flares for my '03 TJ Sport. I am not 100% against going to full flat fenders some day but I like the look of the stock fenders themselves and dont really want to cut and relocate everything on the inner fenders right now.
The Barricade and Bushwacker flat style plastic are about all I see. Any one have experience with these? I know that they both leave a little to be desired to say the least.
I'm on 33s now and building toward 35s at some point. My motivations being looks and a little more clearance over my "rivet" style flares once I go up in tire size. The rears already have a couple of popped attachment points that occured prior to my current lift set up. Thanks for the input!
Cheers!

There's always these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WCJRPPA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
They look a lot like the Barricade fenders but for a lot less. They claim to be made in the USA too... :unsure:

My advice though, depending on how long it will take you to get to 35's, I'd recommend just waiting and buying the right fender the first time. I too was in the same boat you are in. I had my eye on the flat plastic flares for a long time, almost pulled the trigger a couple times. I ended up just waiting until I was on 35's to upgrade to full steel fender replacements and I'm glad I saved the money.

Reactions: WHBNM
I did a test fit on Bushwacker flares and didn't like the look. Ended up removing them and going with stock flares.
5qPEHSS.jpg

If I were looking for replacement flat flares, it would probably be MCE.

https://www.mcefenders.com/products/jeep/tj

There's always these
They look a lot like the Barricade fenders but for a lot less. They claim to be made in the USA too... :unsure:

My advice though, depending on how long it will take you to get to 35's, I'd recommend just waiting and buying the right fender the first time. I too was in the same boat you are in. I had my eye on the flat plastic flares for a long time, almost pulled the trigger a couple times. I ended up just waiting until I was on 35's to upgrade to full steel fender replacements and I'm glad I saved the money.
Thank you. Probably the best advice and what I'm leaning toward. Patience is not a strength of mine!

Reactions: mikespine
I did a test fit on Bushwacker flares and didn't like the look. Ended up removing them and going with stock flares.
View attachment 201412

If I were looking for replacement flat flares, it would probably be MCE.

https://www.mcefenders.com/products/jeep/tj
Thanks for sharing that pic! I was a little worried about that super wide opening look too.
I know the mce's and they are definitely on the short list as kind of a happy medium.

Reactions: Irun
I DO like those, and the fact that my boys climb in that way 100% of the time! Thanks.
That's probably the main thing I like, but I do like the look a lot for me. This is back when we got it and my son was 15 and they came with these on it. Yes, they are very good for getting in and out.
2005 Jeep TJ First Day.jpg

MCE...
Screenshot_20200925-155251_Photos.jpg

FYI...

On accident I ordered the 6 1/2 inch by bad sales rep information (he claimed the 6.5 inch measurement was at the widest part of the fender/flare. W R O N G

Their measurement is at the break over angle heading down toward the ground.

None the less I was able to use these by trimming them with a utility knife. Yep..easy

So if you wabt the 3 inch or 4 inch version and they're out of stock..the 6.5 will work by trimming to exactly what you want.
(This only works on the front from MCE)

I was hesitant on getting plastic. I'm one to build big or go home. Build strong or stay in the basement.
We do a lot of wheeling here on tight trails. Very tight. If you catch a tree, stump, rock these just bend and go right back to the shape they're supposed to be.

The other thing is most flat febder type things are heavy pipe with think sheet metal as the plating.
If you hit something hard enough with that pipe type febder you could potentially get some serious body buckle.

These have survived deep goo from the tires flinging...branches, 85 mph on the interstate...

Good luck

Reactions: WHBNM and 06lj
My motivations being looks and a little more clearance over my "rivet" style flares once I go up in tire size.
If your motivations are just looks, then consider the other recommendations.

If you hope to get more clearance, your limiting factor is not the flare but the fender. The flares are designed to be hit and moved by the tires at full articulation. No flat fender moves the fender, and it's that seam where the flare attaches to the fender that will always be in the same place no matter what flare you go with.

To get more clearance (up and back for larger tires) you'd need a HiLine. Genright gives up 3" and back 3". It is a significant mod. Metal Cloak makes the argument that you can run 35's on a stock TJ. That is some fancy marketing bull. Can it be done? Sure, by making serious compromises with your shock up travel and ride quality. Some make the argument that with 3" of lift and 33's and you can get more clearance with Metal Cloak, but with 35's you really need more back space and MC doesn't give you that, so what they advertise is not true.

There's always these

The ones I installed were similar to these.

I'm happy with the look and performance so far. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fender-flare-replacement-options.38259/#post-634859

If your motivations are just looks, then consider the other recommendations.

If you hope to get more clearance, your limiting factor is not the flare but the fender. The flares are designed to be hit and moved by the tires at full articulation. No flat fender moves the fender, and it's that seam where the flare attaches to the fender that will always be in the same place no matter what flare you go with.

To get more clearance (up and back for larger tires) you'd need a HiLine. Genright gives up 3" and back 3". It is a significant mod. Metal Cloak makes the argument that you can run 35's on a stock TJ. That is some fancy marketing bull. Can it be done? Sure, by making serious compromises with your shock up travel and ride quality. Some make the argument that with 3" of lift and 33's and you can get more clearance with Metal Cloak, but with 35's you really need more back space and MC doesn't give you that, so what they advertise is not true.
10-4.
Planning on true highline in the next couple of years. Need to get my wallet prepared for re- gear and shafts and next set of tires! Looking Genright, motobuilt etc. With inner fenders to get that room toward the interior.
MCE may be my best bet for present and future. Still wrestling with that.
For now this is a bandaid as current flares are cracking, loosening, etc. Partially looks and little more clearance than the overly interfering style I have now is the goal for now.
Appreciate everything everyone has shared with me thus far!

Reactions: JMT
MCE...View attachment 201499

FYI...

On accident I ordered the 6 1/2 inch by bad sales rep information (he claimed the 6.5 inch measurement was at the widest part of the fender/flare. W R O N G

Their measurement is at the break over angle heading down toward the ground.

None the less I was able to use these by trimming them with a utility knife. Yep..easy

So if you wabt the 3 inch or 4 inch version and they're out of stock..the 6.5 will work by trimming to exactly what you want.
(This only works on the front from MCE)

I was hesitant on getting plastic. I'm one to build big or go home. Build strong or stay in the basement.
We do a lot of wheeling here on tight trails. Very tight. If you catch a tree, stump, rock these just bend and go right back to the shape they're supposed to be.

The other thing is most flat febder type things are heavy pipe with think sheet metal as the plating.
If you hit something hard enough with that pipe type febder you could potentially get some serious body buckle.

These have survived deep goo from the tires flinging...branches, 85 mph on the interstate...

Good luck
Great info. Thanks for your post.

Reactions: Rubicon88
10-4.
Planning on true highline in the next couple of years. Need to get my wallet prepared for re- gear and shafts and next set of tires! Looking Genright, motobuilt etc. With inner fenders to get that room toward the interior.
MCE may be my best bet for present and future. Still wrestling with that.
For now this is a bandaid as current flares are cracking, loosening, etc. Partially looks and little more clearance than the overly interfering style I have now is the goal for now.
Appreciate everything everyone has shared with me thus far!
MCE help some with clearance since they allow upward flex replacing the stock fender. @jjvw problem is his keep blowing off.

MCE help some with clearance since they allow upward flex replacing the stock fender. @jjvw problem is his keep blowing off.
Only the rears blow off if installed normally.

The fronts will only start to flex under articulation with 35s and more than 11" travel and 6" of up. Very few are ever going to have that. I'm still working on it.