Recommended Camshaft Sensor

Yesterday when trying to get the difference as close to zero as possible, I would move the OPDA slightly and then check the Thinkdiag2. Back 40+ years ago when adjusting points in my car with a dwell meter, I could monitor the dwell meter as I rotated the distributor to get the most efficient degree reading. Can I do that with the Thinkdiag2?? I was just going out to fiddle with the jeep and was thinking how much easier it would be if I could use the Thinkdiag2 similar to how I used to do my points.

I can’t speak to the old school methods, but with the engine running I simply had my phone on the fender and monitored the cam/crank difference trying to keep it around 0.3 to 0.4 degrees when the OPDA was tightened back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigfoot-NM
I did the same thing and after bouncing back between 6553.7 and 1.9, got it down to .2 and called it good!

Nice man that’s great!

Are you able to use your thinkdiag2 to update the relearn? For some reason my PCM doesn’t update the relearn via the scan tool.

In fairness to the tool, my PCM doesn’t want to update the cam relearn through a manual relearn either but it has happened. I’m curious to know how easy it is for you to update the relearn via the tool or manually.

Last edited:
Initially after replacing my Chrysler PCM with my new wranglerfix PCM I tried to perform the relearn using the Thinkdiag2. (I did that because my engine service light came on after 2 miles of driving with the same P0344 code I'd been getting.) Today, before trying to get the Cam/Crank difference lower than I got it yesterday, (3.2) I noticed my Thinkdiag2 didn't recognize the new PCM, so I reinstalled the old Chrysler PCM, got the difference down to .2 and did a manual relearn. I'll fire up the Jeep tomorrow to see if the light goes out. Depending on what I find in the morning, I'll call and talk with Mark about my experience. It's strange the Thinkdiag2 didn't register/identify the new PCM and Mark may have some insight into that. Is your PCM an OEM or something different? I'm may be wrong, but after 180K and 18 years, it may be possible my timing chain could be worn and causing some of my problems.

Initially after replacing my Chrysler PCM with my new wranglerfix PCM I tried to perform the relearn using the Thinkdiag2. (I did that because my engine service light came on after 2 miles of driving with the same P0344 code I'd been getting.) Today, before trying to get the Cam/Crank difference lower than I got it yesterday, (3.2) I noticed my Thinkdiag2 didn't recognize the new PCM, so I reinstalled the old Chrysler PCM, got the difference down to .2 and did a manual relearn. I'll fire up the Jeep tomorrow to see if the light goes out. Depending on what I find in the morning, I'll call and talk with Mark about my experience. It's strange the Thinkdiag2 didn't register/identify the new PCM and Mark may have some insight into that. Is your PCM an OEM or something different? I'm may be wrong, but after 180K and 18 years, it may be possible my timing chain could be worn and causing some of my problems.

@HeffTJ what is the process for the manual relearn on the cam/crank sensors. My Jeep wouldn’t start I put a cam and crank sensor in it, but found out it was pcm. I bought one from @Wranglerfix and when I installed it the p0016 came up. The sensors were standard ignition brand. I will probably install the original sensors back. I have a scan tool and should be able to check how close the two are together. I cannot find the procedure to do without the scan tool.

Disconnect the battery.

However, that code usually means you don't have them aligned within the range the PCM will accept.

The process for doing the manual relearn is, disconnect the positive lead, leaving the negative attached to its battery post. Take the disconnected positive lead and touch it to the negative lead for a few, 2-10, minutes. This insures the capacitors within the PCM get fully discharged. After this time, reconnect the positive lead to the positive post. with the key inserted in the ignition, cycle the key on and off a couple time without actually starting the engine. This should allow the PCM to relearn the alignment relation of the Cam and Crank sensor. To be on the safe side, I would suggest you contact Mark at Wrangler Fix to make sure this process does not mess anything up with the new PCM. ([email protected] or telephone WranglerFix and ask for Mark).

It's not going to know the alignment of the sensors until it's started, cycling the key on and off will not detect the cam/crank relationship.

I appreciate all the help and comments, however my Jeep still has something going on. two days ago after getting it up to its normal operating temp, using my Thinkdiag2 tool, I got the cam/crank difference down to .02, cleared the DTC P0344 and using the tool, did the automatic/tool relearn, noticing the engine service light was not illuminated. This morning, I went to start it and the engine service light was on. I drove it around 15-20 minutes hoping the light would go off and it would go out of the limp mode, but it didn't. Does anyone have any idea as to why I can get it seemingly "fixed" when its all warmed up yet when its cold, it throws the code and goes into its limp mode? I've replaced the Crank sensor with a new Mopar and the Cam sensor with a new Standards Brand Products sensor and it has a new WranglerFix PCM. Thanks for the help.

P0344 is not a cam/crank alignment code, it is cam sensor intermittent code. Check the wiring from the cam sensor, especially where it goes over the dipstick.

I didn't mean to infer that the P0344 was a cam/crank alignment code. Thanks for suggesting to check where the cam sensor wire goes above the dip stick. I can see that would be an easy spot where the wire could chafe. I checked there and also where the bundle of ground wires are bolted to the engine block down near the base of the dip stick. All looked good. I think you are on to something like a grounded out wire.

I recall a thread in which people had good results with a NAPA cam sensor. I think it was on this forum.

Also, I have been running a Dorman OPDA and cam sensor for the last 150K mi with no issues. Strangely, it was the OEM MOPAR cam sensor that failed in my OEM OPDA not the OPDA itself years ago.

Yes, I also remember someone talking about the good luck they had with the NAPA cam sensor. I also have been a fan of the Echlin products. I guess it is dependent on who the manufacturer is and how well their quality control is at the time of manufacture! Thanks again

I tried running the Crown sensor and it worked fine until it randomly left me stranded many months later.

That was before I knew to dial in the cam/crank difference and do the relearn. Maybe doing those will allow the Crown to work well for you.

So how do you dial in the difference and do the relearn?

So how do you dial in the difference and do the relearn?

This thread should provide those answers… I used the Thinkdiag 2 device from Amazon for the cam/crank difference.

There is a relearn function as well, but the manual way using the battery ended up working for me (PCM wasn’t responding to the device or the battery method as fast as it did for others).

From page one of that thread:

IMG_3522.jpeg