Recommended shackle setup for Savvy rear receiver bumper?

ToddK

Supporting Member
Ordered up the Savvy aluminum rear receiver bumper this evening and want to know the recommended shackle setup when using it as a recovery point. By setup I mean shackle size,material, shape, and connecting method.

Ordered up the Savvy aluminum rear receiver bumper this evening and want to know the recommended shackle setup when using it as a recovery point. By setup I mean shackle size,material, shape, and connecting method. View attachment 79384View attachment 79384
I have the same bumper, and went through this same discussion in a round about sort of way. Ultimately @mrblaine recommended a soft shackle through a hitch pin in the reciever. I like that idea because it's easy, and doesn't require extra hardware/equipment

Reactions: ToddK and Joseph
I have the same bumper, and went through this same discussion in a round about sort of way. Ultimately @mrblaine recommended a soft shackle through a hitch pin in the reciever. I like that idea because it's easy, and doesn't require extra hardware/equipment
Not that you should, but, I have been known to take the synthetic line near the ST, fold it over, shove the eye in the receiver and stab it with a hitch pin. Only done for a light pull where you need to pull the guy in front off a rock. I wouldn't do it for high stress pulls though. Light stuff it is quick and easy.

Reactions: ToddK and strumble8
Not that you should, but, I have been known to take the synthetic line near the ST, fold it over, shove the eye in the receiver and stab it with a hitch pin. Only done for a light pull where you need to pull the guy in front off a rock. I wouldn't do it for high stress pulls though. Light stuff it is quick and easy.
Do you prefer the receiver style over the other aluminum bumper or is it just a matter of personal preference? I read an old thread somewhere about some of the testing you had done on this receiver bumper so I’m excited to finally get my hands on one

Do you prefer the receiver style over the other aluminum bumper or is it just a matter of personal preference? I read an old thread somewhere about some of the testing you had done on this receiver bumper so I’m excited to finally get my hands on one
I prefer the receiver. The issue is no matter how many times we state, restate, reiterate, and warn folks, the bumper is not rated for towing. It doesn't matter how many different ways you ask the question, it isn't and never will be.

The reason there aren't shackle tabs on the receiver bumper is folks wanted them so they could attach their safety chains for when they used the bumper for towing.

My preference would have been to put the shackle tabs on the receiver bumper and just build one version. Unfortunately human nature intervened and made it difficult.

The reason I like the receiver is I tow stuff around here at the house to move things where they need to go and the Jeep is a lot more maneuverable than my long bed crew cab dually.

Reactions: ToddK and strumble8
Looks sharp! How do you like it so far?
It's really nice, the install was simple, even without instructions, much like the mua savvy sells, once you layout the parts it's pretty obvious how it goes together. Its light compared to the dirtworx bumper it replaced and it sits closer to the body/frame than the dirtworx by a few inches. It is definitely a piece of art that is highly functional!

I to have the receiver bumper from savvy. Something I was not aware of is when paired with the moryde tire carrier setup and 35s the tire sits nicely on the receiver. Just a little extra to take some stress off the hinges.

I to have the receiver bumper from savvy. Something I was not aware of is when paired with the moryde tire carrier setup and 35s the tire sits nicely on the receiver. Just a little extra to take some stress off the hinges.
That's interesting, I have the bestop highrock tire carrier, my 35 sits about and 1-1/2" above the reciever. Are you running a body lift?

That's interesting, I have the bestop highrock tire carrier, my 35 sits about and 1-1/2" above the reciever. Are you running a body lift?
Yes, 1.25” I believe. It was installed by the PO and I haven’t measured. I should mention I did not use the bracket that raises the tire either.