Colorado Red Cone Run August 30, 2020

Wish I could. Too much going on tomorrow.

Read up on the big descent down from the top. 4L and lockers turned OFF is very important. If you slip and slide give it some gas to drive out of trouble.

Go up Radical Hill, see the goats, then out either on Saints John or Middle Swan River.

Reactions: rasband
Is one of these more enjoyable than the other?
Both are very different from each other. Swan might be the more eerie and dramaticly mysterious trail, but it's actually better coming in from the west side. Saints John is better coming from the south where you will be.

I’ll plan to be around 285/60 until 9:25 for anyone joining. Assuming I have service, I’ll check here before leaving.

Unfortunately I can't make this one. Headed south again and need to get things done around the house.

D3A06410-DEAD-46F6-97BA-0FCD0F764BA9.jpeg

Had a good time on the trail. Though, I think @rasband was on the clock at home. I have never run a trail that fast. No time for chatting, just drive.

Very windy up top, but very little traffic.

• Haha
Reactions: rasband and jjvw
Had a good time on the trail. Though, I think @rasband was on the clock at home. I have never run a trail that fast. No time for chatting, just drive.

Very windy up top, but very little traffic.

I wasn’t trying to rush anything, there just weren’t as many natural stop points like on other trails with more obstacles! This just felt like turning on the drive mode and rolling.

I ran that trail fairly quickly too. Not too many pull off spots. You should have seen the musical chairs I had to play to get to the front of the line at the rock obstacle to pull my winch out. I had to get by a land cruiser, 2 razrs, and a another 2 Jeeps in the middle of the trail :oops:

unnamed.jpg

Did you get up to the top of radical hill? I wanted to head up that way but I made a friend on the trail and his 4runner couldn't make it up .

Did you get up to the top of radical hill? I wanted to head up that way but I made a friend on the trail and his 4runner couldn't make it up .

Unfortunately since I had my 5yro I made it a shorter day, but radical hill looks pretty great. Peakbagger pointed out a lot of good options out of there (Saints John, Radical Hill, etc.). Can't wait to make it back with more time available.

That's such a cool trail! It's been a few years since the last time I ran it in my XJ. I look forward to doing it again once I get my LJ set up, maybe next season. Did you go down Handcart Gulch and out the way you came in on 285, or down through Montezuma and out? Radical Hill is very cool, but I don't think I'd do it with my wife and kids. Some good pucker factor on that ledge and a number of vehicles have rolled down that one. Same with Handcart, it gets pretty narrow. The view at the top of Red Cone is great, and going down the hill is like riding a roller coaster.

That's such a cool trail! It's been a few years since the last time I ran it in my XJ. I look forward to doing it again once I get my LJ set up, maybe next season. Did you go down Handcart Gulch and out the way you came in on 285, or down through Montezuma and out? Radical Hill is very cool, but I don't think I'd do it with my wife and kids. Some good pucker factor on that ledge and a number of vehicles have rolled down that one. Same with Handcart, it gets pretty narrow. The view at the top of Red Cone is great, and going down the hill is like riding a roller coaster.

I had seen this video a while ago of recovery of a rolled over jeep on that hill ... your post just reminded me of it.