Red LJ from Indiana

Steelyace

Supporting Member
New to the forum, been lurking for a little while, but finally figured it was time to come forward. Had 4 wheelers and SxS for years but the jeep seems to suite me better, and more fun.

Picked up a 2004 LJ automotive with literally zero rust anywhere late fall. Was going to pick one up and build it up but was able to find one with a lot of great components on it. This is what it currently has.....

Currie control arms
Currie springs
Bilstein shocks
Front antirock
Advance SYE
Adams driveshafts
Cable shifter
Warn winch
35" KM3s
ARB compressor
Corner guards and bumpers

Gears and ARB lockers are going in the next couple weeks. After gears and locker I'll be adding rock sliders, hoping that savvy builds a set or two so I can acquire one, and some kind of new pan/tummy tuck.

20220930_163127.jpg

20220930_163042.jpg

20220930_135302.jpg

Digging that garage/shop too…looks like you have room for several more.

Last edited:
That's a great looking LJ! Welcome to the conversation from a fellow Hoosier.
There are a few good writeups floating around here if you decide to build your own tummy tuck/ skid combo. You'll be glad you did!

Be careful adding gears and lockers. Assuming that is a Dana 30 in the front, you will need to upgrade the axle shafts to handle a locker and 35s.

That's a great looking LJ! Welcome to the conversation from a fellow Hoosier.
There are a few good writeups floating around here if you decide to build your own tummy tuck/ skid combo. You'll be glad you did!

I will have to find that because I am more than willing to build my own. The only hold me back is I really don't want to have to deal with driveline vibration, but if I was to have some I'm sure I could get it figured out.

Be careful adding gears and lockers. Assuming that is a Dana 30 in the front, you will need to upgrade the axle shafts to handle a locker and 35s.

I'm aware that I will need them and am eyeballing a set of revolutions axle shafts.

Reactions: SvtLdr and L J
I will have to find that because I am more than willing to build my own. The only hold me back is I really don't want to have to deal with driveline vibration, but if I was to have some I'm sure I could get it figured out.

Here's a couple good threads to start with on the tummy tuck:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-tummy-tuck-faq-thread.173/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/so-you-want-to-do-a-tummy-tuck-tt.5174/

This is a good writeup if you're interested in making your own crossmember while you're under there. @B00mb00m takes out most of the guesswork. His writeup helped me a lot when I did my tuck project.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...on-cross-member-and-transfer-case-skid.34524/

Reactions: B00mb00m
Here's a couple good threads to start with on the tummy tuck:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-tummy-tuck-faq-thread.173/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/so-you-want-to-do-a-tummy-tuck-tt.5174/

This is a good writeup if you're interested in making your own crossmember while you're under there. @B00mb00m takes out most of the guesswork. His writeup helped me a lot when I did my tuck project.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...on-cross-member-and-transfer-case-skid.34524/

Thank you for the info. Time to start researching this project!

Reactions: SvtLdr
Thank you for the info. Time to start researching this project!

The tummy tuck is not a quick/ easy/ cheap project to tackle. It's definitely one of the most rewarding ones though in my opinion. It took me a couple of years to collect all of the parts necessary (mostly because I'm on a limited budget.) I also did a few smaller projects beforehand in preparation for the tuck. Have fun with the research and don't hesitate to ask questions along the way. There's a bunch of great folks on the forum who really enjoy helping.

The tummy tuck is not a quick/ easy/ cheap project to tackle. It's definitely one of the most rewarding ones though in my opinion. It took me a couple of years to collect all of the parts necessary (mostly because I'm on a limited budget.) I also did a few smaller projects beforehand in preparation for the tuck. Have fun with the research and don't hesitate to ask questions along the way. There's a bunch of great folks on the forum who really enjoy helping.

I have been researching it for a little while and there area a few concerns for me, so I am wondering if I just do a lower profile stock height pan without the shovel front and back or do the tummy tuck. I don't really want to have to deal with a drive line vibration that I have trouble getting rid of, but if I had it I'm sure I could get it figured out. I already have the cable shifter, adjustable trac arms, and SYE. I know I would need a body lift, motor mount, and low pro tranny mount, as well as a new belly pan.

On another note.......... I thought my belly pan was "low", but maybe not as low as I thought. A friend of mine has a JL sitting on 37's and comparing the belly pan area I had 1.5" more clearance at the lowest points.

Last edited:
Reactions: SvtLdr
I have been researching it for a little while and there area a few concerns for me, so I am wondering if I just do a lower profile stock height pan without the shovel front and back or do the tummy tuck. I don't really want to have to deal with a drive line vibration that I have trouble getting rid of, but if I had it I'm sure I could get it figured out. I already have the cable shifter, adjustable trac arms, and SYE. I know I would need a body lift, motor mount, and low pro tranny mount, as well as a new belly pan.

On another note.......... I thought my belly pan was "low", but maybe not as low as I thought. A friend of mine has a JL sitting on 37's and comparing the belly pan area I had 1.5" more clearance at the lowest points.

I'd recommend getting your LJ out in the dirt before you dive into a tummy tuck. Depending on what type of wheeling you really enjoy, you may find that your current belly height isn't an issue.

Keep in mind also, the JL's don't require as much lift to run larger tires like the TJ. My guess is your buddy isn't sitting on 4" of spring lift? I assume that's what your Currie springs are?