So, you want to do a tummy tuck (TT)

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've been researching TT, especially the well-written thread on this forum, and pages on Tom Wood site. If I'm understanding, since I already have a 2.5" OME I can go ahead and do a 1" MML Brown Dog to get rid of my TC drop. I can do a Novak Transfer Case Shifter anytime. I can also do a 1" Savvy BL anytime. Is this right?

My other questions; for my control arms, can I keep the stock lowers and just get the adjustable rear upper's (Savvy) so I can rotate the pinion on my rear differential so it is facing the output of the TC? When do you put the high clearance skid on in relation to the SYE and Tom Wood Driveshaft? It seems to me that you have to already have the skid on so you can get correct measurements to Tom Wood so he can make the personal driveshaft the right length.

And I'm just wondering how this works when you get to the point of putting on the skid. Is it the higher clearance skid that raises up the TC? It's crazy that the 2003-06 TJ's have 4.65" of belly sag. If you can get rid of that you're almost gaining 5" of lift (at that point)! Anyway, appreciate any feedback...

<2" of sag would be nice. Flat would be ideal. That's another issue I don't understand. When you make these mods, what limits you from doing a flat skid?

My other questions; for my control arms, can I keep the stock lowers and just get the adjustable rear upper's (Savvy) so I can rotate the pinion on my rear differential so it is facing the output of the TC?

Regarding this question, do you already have the SYE and CV driveshaft? If not, you don't yet need adjustable upper (or lower) control arms.

<2" of sag would be nice. Flat would be ideal. That's another issue I don't understand. When you make these mods, what limits you from doing a flat skid?
The amount of body lift is going to figure in on how flat you can go. The skid does raise the TC, so the flatter, the more likelihood of needing more BL to clear the floor pan.

The amount of body lift is going to figure in on how flat you can go. The skid does raise the TC, so the flatter, the more likelihood of needing more BL to clear the floor pan.
No, I do not already have the SYE and CV Driveshaft. I don't want to do more than a 1.25" BL. So how flat can I go with that? Thanks

Best way to find out is to crawl under the jeep, remove the 4 nuts that attached the trany mount to the skid plate, and jack the drivetrain up until something gets in the way. Chances are your exhaust will limit how far up you can go.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Best way to find out is to crawl under the jeep, remove the 4 nuts that attached the trany mount to the skid plate, and jack the drivetrain up until something gets in the way. Chances are your exhaust will limit how far up you can go.

I'll try that tomorrow when I get some time...trying to get a plan here. I've got the money to spend but want to take my time so I can do it right and understand what I'm doing

@glwood mentioned possibility of ultimately needing both upper and lower control arms? Is this right. I know I need the uppers to adjust the pinion angle.

Also, I'm assuming I can go ahead with the 1" MML, the 1 or 1.25" BL (which would probably be easier to do at the same time) and the Novak shifter?

Will my Jeep look stupid with the 2.5" OME and a 1 or 1.25" BL and the 31x10.5's? Eventually I think I want to go to 33's, but that's a distant think...

No, I do not already have the SYE and CV Driveshaft. I don't want to do more than a 1.25" BL. So how flat can I go with that? Thanks
You can do the MML & BL without any other changes, i.e. adjustable control arms, SYE, CV driveshaft. Those come into play more when you go upwards of 3-4" of suspension lift, which you don't have. The body lift will help with a TC cable shift installation, gives you a bit more room to work, although that can be done on an entirely stock setup.

I was watching a few videos yesterday on the BL/MML installation, and doing them both at the same time helps with not having to modify the fan shroud, and negating any shifter adjustments...

Reactions: JMT
From your other thread
jeep-jpg.jpg

I am really liking your TJ with the current setup. If you are set on a TT, and want to do the BL & MML, it would easily give you room for 32" tires, which I think with your gearing, would work well. Once you get up into the 33" tire size, you really start to feel the loss of power, and then need an axle gearing change to get that back. Much more $$ then. I am running 32" (265/75-16) tires and am fine, but I have 4.10 gearing with my Rubicon. Food for thought.

From your other thread
View attachment 15926
I am really liking your TJ with the current setup. If you are set on a TT, and want to do the BL & MML, it would easily give you room for 32" tires, which I think with your gearing, would work well. Once you get up into the 33" tire size, you really start to feel the loss of power, and then need an axle gearing change to get that back. Much more $$ then. I am running 32" (265/75-16) tires and am fine, but I have 4.10 gearing with my Rubicon. Food for thought.

That pic was a little dated, and still had stock springs and BB. Here's the current rig...thanks, good food for thought...
IMG_5671.JPG

I'm thinking of putting some Rubicon flares on. Used for $50 to give a little more coverage. The guy is parting out two Rubicon's an 03 and 06. I'm tempted to ask him what he wants for the axles...but I'm afraid I won't like the answer $$$$$. A some point I keep wondering, maybe I should just sell this and get a Rubicon..

Also, I'm assuming I can go ahead with the 1" MML, the 1 or 1.25" BL (which would probably be easier to do at the same time) and the Novak shifter?

Not a problem, that's how I did mine.

Will my Jeep look stupid with the 2.5" OME and a 1 or 1.25" BL and the 31x10.5's? Eventually I think I want to go to 33's, but that's a distant think...

Here was mine with a 2" spring lift, 1.25" BL and 32" tires. Doesn't look "stupid". I was going to add a .75" spacer to the front, but sold it first.

jeep5.jpg

Reactions: Leftlegless and JMT
If I'm understanding, since I already have a 2.5" OME I can go ahead and do a 1" MML Brown Dog to get rid of my TC drop. I can do a Novak Transfer Case Shifter anytime. I can also do a 1" Savvy BL anytime. Is this right?

Yes, the Novak shifter can be done anytime, and it will be a huge improvement! You don't need to have a tummy tuck to install one of these. I recommend everyone install one, it should have come from the factory with this setup.

You can also do the 1" body lift at anytime as well.

My other questions; for my control arms, can I keep the stock lowers and just get the adjustable rear upper's (Savvy) so I can rotate the pinion on my rear differential so it is facing the output of the TC?

Yes, you can just get the uppers (make sure to get DOUBLE adjustable uppers, you'll thank me later).

And I'm just wondering how this works when you get to the point of putting on the skid. Is it the higher clearance skid that raises up the TC? It's crazy that the 2003-06 TJ's have 4.65" of belly sag. If you can get rid of that you're almost gaining 5" of lift (at that point)! Anyway, appreciate any feedback...

Yes, it's the basically flat skid that raises up the transfer case. The body lift spaces the tub (body) out from the frame, and allows the transfer case to be tucked an extra inch or so up into the frame.

I'm thinking of putting some Rubicon flares on. Used for $50 to give a little more coverage. The guy is parting out two Rubicon's an 03 and 06. I'm tempted to ask him what he wants for the axles...but I'm afraid I won't like the answer $$$$$. A some point I keep wondering, maybe I should just sell this and get a Rubicon..

I did this to gain some tire coverage. Do it!

That pic was a little dated, and still had stock springs and BB. Here's the current rig...thanks, good food for thought...
View attachment 15927
Well you definitely have room for 32" tires as you sit. There also are aftermarket skid plates that claim you don't need a body lift, the name eludes me at the moment, but I have looked into one of those also. Not as much clearance as some of the more popular TTs, but better than the stock shovel. I am curious, what was the net difference between the BB and stock springs, and the OME lift?

I would definitely grab a set of Rubicon flares if you can.