Refreshed my TJ!

How do you deal with literal paint chips nad/or scratches? My half doors were originally yellow. And my Jeep is black. The doors are pretty chipped up along the edges. And you can see yellow chips left in the doors. EVerything else looks like a good original paint job with plenty of clear left over. Can they touch up paint and then polish?

How do you deal with literal paint chips nad/or scratches? My half doors were originally yellow. And my Jeep is black. The doors are pretty chipped up along the edges. And you can see yellow chips left in the doors. EVerything else looks like a good original paint job with plenty of clear left over. Can they touch up paint and then polish?
Yes, build up touch up paint layers and several layers of clear, then wet sand back to height with 1500 - 2000 grit, then buff to shine. I like these for touch up paint application, the brush in the bottle is just too big.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVU15WO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Scroll down to the post by @glwood for pics if you dont want to click on the links.

Before.

The day I bought it a few weeks ago. It's a one owner 99 TJ Sport 4.0 with a factory Dana 44 and with 52k miles in Chille Pepper Red Pearl. The previous owner was a sweet 87 year old man that had meticulous maintenance records but it appears he was not so carefull with the paint. There was extensive damage that the color appeared matte in some lighting.

After paint correction.

I love how the color changes in different lighting now that the metallic flakes are showing!

Reactions: TJ2
I grew up around auto body.

Any of you guys can refurbish paint... it doesn't take big money , and Jeeps aren't huge.

You can clay bar one and go along way .

Wet sanding is how the jeep you see was done , and then best way to learn is on a fender from a junk yard .

A polisher is nice , but the basic work needs to be done by hand , and you never want to start with anything more aggressive than what you need to get to the fresh clear coat . Spray wax and 1200 grit is a good start , and light pressure ..but once you start you have to climb back up the grit scale then polish it out .

The polisher helps when you get to the finish work ..polishing compound and glaze or wax.

Traditional, true rubbing compound has no place on TJ paint . It is far too aggressive .

You can always spot detail scratches , that alone is worth knowing .

Aluminum wheels can he polished exactly the same way.

Last edited:
You make me laugh with every post you type...your TJs are stock lol you have done nothing to them? Keeping your jeep clean shows class and an appreciation for taking care of your vehicle. It’s a mature thing to do. Just because it’s a “jeep” doesn’t mean you have to let your vehicle go to shit.
I'm in with Starrs on pride of ownership.

How a man cares for his property is the measure of a man - Bear Grylls

I own a construction company ...it takes no money to keep a van clean and organized , to roll a cord or hose neatly , and people decide in a about a minute if you have your act together based on this , and how you appear.

When this guy is ready to sell, he will have 2-3 "let me know if you ever sell it" offers on standby and it will never hit Craigslist .

Reactions: ElectricWizard