Refreshed my TJ!

I imagine this is what it looked like when it rolled of the factory paint booth. Besides a few rock chips, the paint has no swirls or damage whatsoever. I even had to take a pic of the hood at a stop light because I was that impressed. View attachment 45242

Here's another in direct sunlight
View attachment 45244

It looks better than factory, nor orange peel

Reactions: Starrs
He wasn't pushing anything that I see. He used a pro for the paint correction, didn't list a name, price, or otherwise. He did mention using some protectant for his flares but was not pushing it either.
Yeah, if I would have waited a few more posts I would’ve seen that. Premature as usual

I just picked up a buffer and some pads and polish and touch up paint and plan on tackling my paint little at a time when I have time. I could pay a pro to do it but having 3 cars which I care about, I rather learn the trade myself rather than dishing out few hundred bucks each time.

Turned out fantastic! A lot of work to get that end result. Hope he sealed it up with something good, cause you won't have enough clearcoat left to do that again.

Reactions: GTboosted
I did that to my boat...wanna talk about labor intensive! Gel coat is thicker and much more forgiving than auto paint. Looks great when done...and I need to nut up and do it to the Wrangler. I know the shine is there...its just hidden beneath years of neglect. Most of the time, a good polish (with good compound, high speed buffer and synthetic wheel) will get 80% of it cleaned up.

A good polish will last me a couple years until I get up the ambition to find and fix ALL the tub rust and then respray.

I hate to admit it but doing the fenders probably took me over 6 hours to remove and install them.
it is a huge PITA. the rubber gasket you have to put between the flare and the body is obnoxious. all the reviews i read said removing the old flares was the hardest part. that was not the case for me at all. its worth it when its all done but i said a few choice words trying to keep that gasket in place while tightening everything down

Reactions: GTboosted
Scroll down to the post by @glwood for pics if you dont want to click on the links.

Before.

The day I bought it a few weeks ago. It's a one owner 99 TJ Sport 4.0 with a factory Dana 44 and with 52k miles in Chille Pepper Red Pearl. The previous owner was a sweet 87 year old man that had meticulous maintenance records but it appears he was not so carefull with the paint. There was extensive damage that the color appeared matte in some lighting.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UGkKWGG

After paint correction.

I love how the color changes in different lighting now that the metallic flakes are showing!

http://imgur.com/gallery/dQlf6Br
Darn sweet TJ! Best of luck with her.

Fonz

I just picked up a buffer and some pads and polish and touch up paint and plan on tackling my paint little at a time when I have time. I could pay a pro to do it but having 3 cars which I care about, I rather learn the trade myself rather than dishing out few hundred bucks each time.
Good luck. It actually looks kinda fun and rewarding learning this. I don't have a garage so I had no choice.

Turned out fantastic! A lot of work to get that end result. Hope he sealed it up with something good, cause you won't have enough clearcoat left to do that again.
He did seal it up nice and good. I also plan to take care of her during the washing process from now on. No more drive thru car washes.

I did that to my boat...wanna talk about labor intensive! Gel coat is thicker and much more forgiving than auto paint. Looks great when done...and I need to nut up and do it to the Wrangler. I know the shine is there...its just hidden beneath years of neglect. Most of the time, a good polish (with good compound, high speed buffer and synthetic wheel) will get 80% of it cleaned up.

A good polish will last me a couple years until I get up the ambition to find and fix ALL the tub rust and then respray.
You have the tools, go for it!

@GTboosted

Looks very nice, no matter what you called it. :ARMS1:
Thanks!

it is a huge PITA. the rubber gasket you have to put between the flare and the body is obnoxious. all the reviews i read said removing the old flares was the hardest part. that was not the case for me at all. its worth it when its all done but i said a few choice words trying to keep that gasket in place while tightening everything down
I had no gasket on the oem or the oem style replacements. Still took a long time lol

Darn sweet TJ! Best of luck with her.

Fonz
Thanks!

Reactions: tman66
Nice look @GTboosted! Mind sharing what you paid?

I went and talked to two guys who do this in the Dallas area. Cost estimates were $750-1,000 for multi stage. I’ve got a few deeper scratches and peck marks from previous owners. The only caution they gave me was that those would stand out more after paint correction since everything else would be mirror finish.

Your results are impressive though, I may just have to get it done and deal with the more pronounced imperfections!

Nice look @GTboosted! Mind sharing what you paid?

I went and talked to two guys who do this in the Dallas area. Cost estimates were $750-1,000 for multi stage. I’ve got a few deeper scratches and peck marks from previous owners. The only caution they gave me was that those would stand out more after paint correction since everything else would be mirror finish.

Your results are impressive though, I may just have to get it done and deal with the more pronounced imperfections!

Yeah that is about the average rate for quality work. Actually can be much higher for shops that have good rep...

I paid $500 and would have still been happy at $1000 with the results I got. I'm not made of money though so I shopped around.
I lucked out and found a guy working from his garage so he has less overhead than a shop would. Most his pics showed paint correction on high end cars unlike other detailer's pictures of just washing cars.

You can always get the scratches filled in. It needs to be done right so they don't come out bad.

I am amazed how much you love your TJ, you'll spend that much just for scratches.
I will use that money for a nice suspension lift so I can go off road where Jerry goes.

I am amazed how much you love your TJ, you'll spend that much just for scratches.
I will use that money for a nice suspension lift so I can go off road where Jerry goes.

Yup, I've always been meticulous on taking care of all my vehicles paint. I know its not for everyone but after all my planned upgrades, what is another $500 to make it look good?

In all reality, the $500 I spent on it is probably the only "investment" I made on it. Every other mod such as wheels and suspension will come at a loss if I ever decide to sell. With the paint correction, I increased the value of my TJ as long as I maintain it.

You make me laugh with every post you type...your TJs are stock lol you have done nothing to them? Keeping your jeep clean shows class and an appreciation for taking care of your vehicle. It’s a mature thing to do. Just because it’s a “jeep” doesn’t mean you have to let your vehicle go to shit.

You make me laugh with every post you type...your TJs are stock lol you have done nothing to them? Keeping your jeep clean shows class and an appreciation for taking care of your vehicle. It’s a mature thing to do. Just because it’s a “jeep” doesn’t mean you have to let your vehicle go to shit.
........ I am drinking and having a blast, leave me alone!
........ :taptap:

I have a feeling that Indiana jones don't like Texans.
Either that or I am off mark.
I love Texans my aunt and uncle live in Frisco and a few of my buddies live in Austin. I hate stupidity lol. I have a zero tolerance for it most times. Whatever floats your boat man! It’s the internet...go crazy hahaha