Refurbishing OEM fog lights

Thank you for the advice MDE. Tried tonight by pulling like crazy on the bottom right “tab” of each fog lamp cover and got them both to come off. Both are oxidized, even though they’ve been covered, and need to be refurbished. Luckily I didn’t have to take off the bumper as I’m out of PB Blaster and the nuts are rusted pretty badly. May save for a winter project in total.
I’m glad you had success. As for taking apart the assembly to refurb the lens that is definitely better achieved with the light off the Jeep. Good luck

Reactions: NEOHJeeper
Greetings All! i am new to TJs and this Forum. I just bought a 2001 with factory fog lamps. They are not coming on when I pull the switch,(with the headlights on), or in any other configuration for that matter! Anyway, I looked in the owners manual, thinking I would start by tracking down which circuit/fuse it was on/or protected by. Does anyone know if they are on a separate circuit and which fuse? Then I would be able to determine if I need to get deeper into the problem! Thanks guys!

If I want to remove the stock fog lights and run without them for a while, do I need to disconnect anything besides the lights and the wiring pigtail/plug? Another thread suggested to maybe remove the relay as well.

Anyone know where to buy just a replacement lens for the fog lights? one of mine is cracked.

Also bumpin' this question

If I want to remove the stock fog lights and run without them for a while, do I need to disconnect anything besides the lights and the wiring pigtail/plug? Another thread suggested to maybe remove the relay as well.

Also bumpin' this question
unplug the pigtail to the fog light and you should be good to go

Yeah, about that connector between each fog lamp and the harness in the fender? How doe those specifically latch or connect. I am afraid I am going to bust the plastic! I don't see a tab or anything to press on. Help?

Yeah, about that connector between each fog lamp and the harness in the fender? How doe those specifically latch or connect. I am afraid I am going to bust the plastic! I don't see a tab or anything to press on. Help?

Are you talking about where the pigtail coming out of the back of the light "plugs in" under the fender? And are you plugging it in or unplugging it?

There is a little plastic tab. It's small and difficult to manipulate but it's there and you need to use it to unplug. To plug in...I'm pretty sure you just push it in...

Are you talking about where the pigtail coming out of the back of the light "plugs in" under the fender? And are you plugging it in or unplugging it?

There is a little plastic tab. It's small and difficult to manipulate but it's there and you need to use it to unplug. To plug in...I'm pretty sure you just push it in...
Thank you for your response, I am diagnosing why my fog lamps are inop. So the fuse is good, the relay swapping had no effect, so I wanted to disconnect the lamps underneath the jeep first to use a test lamp to see if I have power out that far- to see if it is the multi-switch on the column. I am currently recovering from a little surgery, so I won't be getting down and crawling around the Jeep for a few more weeks. But I thought I would use my "down time" to research the situation in the meantime. I slid under the front bumper the day before surgery, to see if I could undo the connectors, but I could not determine how the snapped into each other, and I did not want to screw them up figuring it out.

Very cool! That's what I need to do in the meantime. I have yet to find a single round LED foglight that I like the look of. I want some that look as close to factory as possible.
I took mine off tonight - both lenses are cracked. Let me know if you find anything suitable as a replacement. I like the factory look.

Reactions: Chris
That would be the Vision X Light Cannons :)

Pricey as hell, but insanely high quality.

Nope. I’m not serious enough to need those. Found a pair of OEM fog lights on eBay for $90 shipped. I’d consider just replacing the lenses but the harness has been cut, so all that and shipping would make refurbishing a more expensive option.

8EC855D3-B21E-4F26-877C-A89D3A34C9D5.jpeg

4AAC56B1-19AF-49D9-899E-9C12184750E5.jpeg

112dB,
Do those fog light guards fit under the rings and then the covers on top?
Thanks

Nope. I’m not serious enough to need those. Found a pair of OEM fog lights on eBay for $90 shipped. I’d consider just replacing the lenses but the harness has been cut, so all that and shipping would make refurbishing a more expensive option.

View attachment 117641

View attachment 117642

112dB,
Do those fog light guards fit under the rings and then the covers on top?
Thanks
No. The waffle/grid guards attach just like the solid covers. There are three cone-like rubber stoppers (?) that go under the three screws that hold the housing together. Then the cover pressure fits onto the three rubber stopper thingys. This allows you to take the guards / covers off without needing to disassemble the entire light.

You can see them on the screws in the picture if you look closely. It’s a stock part.

Reactions: americanwrkmule