Refurbishing OEM fog lights

I haven't taken mine apart yet, but it appears I have corrosion on the housing surface as I look through the lens. If anyone's had the same issue, suggestions on what to clean the metal surface with...brasso?

I just did this with mine. Had some self leveling windshield sealant around that I used for reassembly. Installed yellow Hella fog light bulbs. Have to say they look great!

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I have a set of factory fog lights sitting aside. I will try this. Seems interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Took my apart yesterday to address the reflector corrosion...tried Brasso and some wheel polish (“safe for all metals”) I had on hand. Went from bad to worse, and is now solid brown color where I applied polish. Any ideas on what to use, or best process to prep and paint if polish not recommended? Pic is “before” I started.

5838059C-57C7-473B-9C2F-74860FA0EB8C.jpeg

It's garbage unless you know a shop that does chrome plating. That needs to be a high temp mirror finish and there aren't any cheap ways to fix it. You could try chrome spray paint but it'll probably burn off if you use halogen h3 bulbs in it.

15862158382090.jpg

I'm in the same boat.

Last edited:
Thanks...wasn't sure what type of metal it is, looks like you're pegging it as chrome. Was hoping to find a replacement reflector or an aftermarket direct fit replacement for the OEM housing, but haven't found one yet. Please let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same.

I know this is an old thread but I just cleaned up my fog lights and used glass stain to tint them yellow.

I've found a good way at restoring chrome is to use aluminum foil. Sounds crazy but I just cleaned up a very rusty chrome fender by folding up a piece of aluminum foil, dipping it in water and scrubbing very hard on the chrome. You will be amazed. I was skeptical that tin foil could polish rusty chrome - but it works! It won't get rid of all the pitting but restores the shine.

Reactions: Ginger Tj
Sounds crazy but I just cleaned up a very rusty chrome fender by folding up a piece of aluminum foil, dipping it in water and scrubbing very hard on the chrome. You will be amazed. I was skeptical that tin foil could polish rusty chrome - but it works! It won't get rid of all the pitting but restores the shine.
It works on real chrome like bumpers, I've used that trick. The problem is if you rub at all on those reflectors all the plating goes away in about 2 seconds and you are left with nothing. It isn't corrosion, the chrome is missing, that's what the brown spots are.

It works on real chrome like bumpers, I've used that trick. The problem is if you rub at all on those reflectors all the plating goes away in about 2 seconds and you are left with nothing. It isn't corrosion, the chrome is missing, that's what the brown spots are.
Noted, thank you for clarifying that before anyone ruins a reflector even more. I've never done it for a reflector, but like you, I have for bumpers and it worked.

Just ordered some used OEM Hella glass lenses/reflectors only (not the whole damn fog light assembly) for my 2006 model fog lights (the ones that don’t come with any covers) from Davey’s Jeeps in Ohio. Seems pretty reasonable at $30.00 a lens/reflector, I’m sure he’s got the older models covered off as well. Just putting it out there. Just fire him an email. This is like the second time a rock has taken out one my fog lamp lens. But Jeep is 14 years old so I guess that’s not bad.

Reactions: Head Lice
Did this to my fog lites today. Very easy. Installed LEDs while I was at it. Re-assy tomorrow. I had a bit of a time getting the white "whatever" off the inside of one of the lenses, Citrus Strip got most of it, phosphoric acid got most of the rest of it. Glued back together with 3M auto weatherstrip adhesive.

Last edited:
I just did this with mine. Had some self leveling windshield sealant around that I used for reassembly. Installed yellow Hella fog light bulbs. Have to say they look great!
Your avatar pic is awesome!

Also, doesn't hurt to check the wire loom to make sure you have no cracks or corrosion. The light output will be better with the whole being refreshed. I went with LEDs for the low consumption/draw. If I wanted to run two sets on the same wiring it will draw about the same as the stock setup, but obviously more light output. Just a thought.