Reloading for the rest of us

Yeah I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a guns he's worked on at all...
Me neither. If you check out his web site, he's got a CD explaining how to slick up the rifle and some pretty cool bits for the R92's. Cowboy Action Shooting has the equivalent of JV and Moab as well as King of the Hammers. Those guys can spend some money on horses, firearms and travel. A buddy of mine was into it and spent more on training his horse than I'll ever spend on both my Jeeps. Heck, I bet he spent more on his three guns, a revolver, a coach shotgun and a custom Sharps, than I have spent on my TJ. It was disgusting, he was a better shot off horse back than I am standing there. Lots of stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northwood
Me neither. If you check out his web site, he's got a CD explaining how to slick up the rifle and some pretty cool bits for the R92's. Cowboy Action Shooting has the equivalent of JV and Moab as well as King of the Hammers. Those guys can spend some money on horses, firearms and travel. A buddy of mine was into it and spent more on training his horse than I'll ever spend on both my Jeeps. Heck, I bet he spent more on his three guns, a revolver, a coach shotgun and a custom Sharps, than I have spent on my TJ. It was disgusting, he was a better shot off horse back than I am standing there. Lots of stories.
Yeah I had thought about getting his DVD before all this happened but had decided the Rossi was plenty smooth for me.

I didn't realize people spent That much money on the cowboy action scene. But I do have a couple cousins who are into the horse riding thing and they're spending more than most people house payments to keep up with just that...

Well, brought the gunsmith the brass, he believes it's a loose chamber. I feel the same way. The bulge, is highest at the point you can clearly see in the photos I've posted but does continue the remainder of the way down the brass.

The 38 special had a bulge measurable with calipers but invisible to the naked eye. He had me shoot 357 reduced loads of his at a range nearby his house which bulge similarly to the 38 special, not noticeable to the naked eye unless you use some very clever lighting and know what to look for.

Bounced some ideas off a couple reloaders who were at the range and they suggested reducing loads until the brass is acceptable. And if I'm not happy shooting those it needs to be rebarreled or cut down and re chambered.

I refuse to keep a gun that won't shoot the loads it was designed to shoot. That just seems retarded in my eyes. So I will be waiting for a response from Steve to see if I would lose my ass trading it towards one of his rifles or not.

Also unexpectedly awaiting a call from the seller of the gun. The shop called me and said they gave him my number and he "might" call after checking his brass... not hopefull.

Reactions: StG58
Just curious if you have spent any time researching the new Braztech Rossi's compared to the old interarms or puma imports and your thoughts on either or? I believe the new Rossi's come with a microgroove rifling where as the older imports have a standard ballard rifling. Does this affect the use of cast bullets? I have read both that it does and it does not.

Based on his statement of one of his "New" Rossi's I assume that means one of the new Braztech models but am awaiting a response.

I was under the impression the older interarms models were much more highly sought after and a much better built rifle

I'm no expert by any means, but here's what I think I know. The actions are pure J.M. Browning up until Rossi came out with the 454 Casull version at which time they were lengthened slightly and beefed up a little. The rifling is Ballard cut in all of them. Microgroove is a Marlin thing and even they stopped using it some time back.

Cast bullets work just dandy in a microgroove barrel, you just need to fit the bullet a little more carefully and watch your alloy a little more closely. It's not really that big a deal, it just takes a little more experimenting to get the accuracy where it needs to be.

I have no clue as to the general perception of which one is more valuable, I'm looking for the slightly longer action so that it will reliably feed my 270 grn Keith semi wadcutters in 45 Colt.

Hope that helps some.

I'm no expert by any means, but here's what I think I know. The actions are pure J.M. Browning up until Rossi came out with the 454 Casull version at which time they were lengthened slightly and beefed up a little. The rifling is Ballard cut in all of them. Microgroove is a Marlin thing and even they stopped using it some time back.

Cast bullets work just dandy in a microgroove barrel, you just need to fit the bullet a little more carefully and watch your alloy a little more closely. It's not really that big a deal, it just takes a little more experimenting to get the accuracy where it needs to be.

I have no clue as to the general perception of which one is more valuable, I'm looking for the slightly longer action so that it will reliably feed my 270 grn Keith semi wadcutters in 45 Colt.

Hope that helps some.
I spoke with Steve today on the phone. He in fact thinks the new Rossi's are better. When interarms disbanded around 2000 and Braztech took over they retooled all the machinery so tolerances are tighter and consistency is better. Only downside is the dumb safety although that is easily remedied with either his peep sight or a plug.

Downside is, I would have $1250 into this gun when it was all said and done if I were to trade my Rossi towards one of his...

I spoke with Steve today on the phone. He in fact thinks the new Rossi's are better. When interarms disbanded around 2000 and Braztech took over they retooled all the machinery so tolerances are tighter and consistency is better. Only downside is the dumb safety although that is easily remedied with either his peep sight or a plug.

Downside is, I would have $1250 into this gun when it was all said and done if I were to trade my Rossi towards one of his...
He would know. $1250 is a lot of coin, but stuff does happen. Man, getting one of his guns would be nice, and about what a new Winchester 94 runs. If you can find one.

He would know. $1250 is a lot of coin, but stuff does happen. Man, getting one of his guns would be nice, and about what a new Winchester 94 runs. If you can find one.
Sucks when I planned yo have 500 into it...

I now see why people sell guns with fucked up chambers without mentioning it... too bad I'm not a dick bag or I could be a lot richer lol