Reloading for the rest of us

20170410_215130.jpg

So here's my Lee setup in action!! Got my first round run through in .2gr increments. Ready to head to the range tomorrow and see how they shoot! Only issue is that my auto drum powder measurer is dropping powder out of somewhere it shouldn't be. Coming down on top of the press and making a bit of a mess after loading just 40 rounds. Still dead on accurate so it must be dropping the exact same bit of powder where it shouldn't be every time lol. Thanks for helping me get started @StG58 and everyone else.

Reactions: StG58
One question how does one know when enough crimp is enough?
1491879892705607185778.jpg
I didn't give it much but I can't move the bullet by pushing it against something. If that's any sort of test lol

One question how does one know when enough crimp is enough?
View attachment 14121I didn't give it much but I can't move the bullet by pushing it against something. If that's any sort of test lol
That looks to be enough crimp. Shoot a couple and check the overall length again to see if it moved. If the COL hasn't changed, you're good to go. And you're very welcome for the little help I gave you.
View attachment 14122
The great white buffalo... look what I found at the cabelas in Owatonna, Minnesota during my travels this weekend.

That is the Great White Buffalo! Thanks for the picture, though I'm kicking myself for not snatching up that Winchester Big Bore...

Reactions: Northwood
View attachment 14120
So here's my Lee setup in action!! Got my first round run through in .2gr increments. Ready to head to the range tomorrow and see how they shoot! Only issue is that my auto drum powder measurer is dropping powder out of somewhere it shouldn't be. Coming down on top of the press and making a bit of a mess after loading just 40 rounds. Still dead on accurate so it must be dropping the exact same bit of powder where it shouldn't be every time lol. Thanks for helping me get started @StG58 and everyone else.
Yeah I forgot to mention the mess the Lee powder measurer makes. That's why, after a year or so, I bought an RCBS powder measurer on Ebay to replace it. just put some paper under it so you can catch the spilled powder.

Got to the range yesterday to do some shooting. Here are a couple photos of the fired primers. First a shot of the minimum load 13.4 gr Accurate #9 pushing a 158gr Hndy XTP JHP with a Winchester WSPM primer
20170412_213723.jpg

And the max load 14.9gr all else the same next to a factory 158gr load (factory is the shiny primer)
20170412_213518.jpg

Tell me what you think. I won't bore you with my thoughts as they are just speculation. I have specs on group size and photos of groups at 50 yrs with iron sights if you're bored and want those I'll post em up. I made up 8 different loads from 13.4 gr to 14.9gr and bench rested at 50 yrs. Checked OAL each time after shooting a new load with no change all the way up to max.

You scared the crap out of me for a second there, it looked like you had pierced primers on all three cases, which indicates one of two things. Massive over pressure or a gun problem. Took a closer look and all is well.

Those primers look good. Well within normal.
No change in the COL means you have enough crimp too. Good show.

So, what'cha think?

Last edited:
Well that's good! I also thought they looked fine and felt fine shooting them, lever wasn't sticky or anything odd so I felt comfortable going all the way to the maximum.
I think (know) I have A Lot to learn about load development, powder choice, bullet choice and the effects of all. Id love to have a chronograph, to help me really see the effects of the changes I'm making. This is probably unnecessary with the shooting I'll be doing, but I have a hard time not trying to squeeze out every last bit of accuracy I can get. I need some better sights so I can be more confident my group sizes are related to the load not my shooting. I have a Skinner peep sight on the way, which may or may not fit. The rear dovetail on these older Ross's is a rather odd size, about .400.
I really want to start casting, but I don't think my apartment complex would be too happy with me doing that in my tiny garage. I assume it's rather dirty, smoky and gives off some not so great for you gasses? It's also probably one too many variables for me to throw into the mix right away, so I'll be waiting a bit on that.

One question how does one know when enough crimp is enough?View attachment 14121I didn't give it much but I can't move the bullet by pushing it against something. If that's any sort of test lol

Compare the loaded/crimped round with a new bullet. You want the edge of the case to be 1/2 to 3/4 from the bottom of the cannelure. That provides the "clearance" to allow the brass to be rolled inward. To me it looks like the bullet could be seated slightly deeper but pictures can be deceiving - hence the need for comparing.

The critical dimension is not where the crimp falls in the canulure. The critical dimension is Cartridge Overall Length. The COL is specific to a bullet. If you jam a bullet into the throat, or even decrease bullet jump below a certain point, the chamber pressure skyrockets and the powder burn rate changes. Sometimes significantly. That's how cylinders and top straps come off revolvers. It's also how bolt lugs shear off rifles. A safe load can go over proof pressure by changing the seating depth of a bullet from spec. Don't do it unless you have a LOT of experience.

Well. This just happened.
20170416_153634.jpg
20170416_153637.jpg

Federal case fired for the third time.
125 gr FTP
21 gr of H110
CCI 500 primer
That is the minimum load in the Lee manual by the way. First round I fired out of that run of federal cases I just loaded up
The other half is now stuck in the chamber, lovely

Got home and ran a bore snake through from the muzzle end, the rest of the case popped right out.

Last edited:
Well. This just happened.
View attachment 14502 View attachment 14503
Federal case fired for the third time.
125 gr FTP
21 gr of H110
CCI 500 primer
That is the minimum load in the Lee manual by the way. First round I fired out of that run of federal cases I just loaded up
The other half is now stuck in the chamber, lovely

Got home and ran a bore snake through from the muzzle end, the rest of the case popped right out.
Wow, just wow. Can you give me some history on the rifle? When a case fails like that, it's usually cases that have been reloaded to many times or a serious head space issue with the rifle.

It's interesting that the rest of the case came out easily. That would point to a head space problem. Have a good gunsmith look at it before shooting it again. Let us know what's up.

Wow, just wow. Can you give me some history on the rifle? When a case fails like that, it's usually cases that have been reloaded to many times or a serious head space issue with the rifle.

It's interesting that the rest of the case came out easily. That would point to a head space problem. Have a good gunsmith look at it before shooting it again. Let us know what's up.
No history on the rifle, I just picked it up used a couple weeks ago. I hope that's not the case. I've shot probably 400 trouble free rounds through it 150 factory, the rest handloads.
Any possibility I damaged the case by over crimping? I had some variation in case length as I was loading brass given to me by a co-worker along with factory brass that had only been shot in my gun. The difference in case length was noticeable. Long cases crimped a bit harder and I had 4 out of 50 crumple (not at the crimp, about midway on the case) while crimping. I pulled those and tossed the cases, but figured the ones that looked fine were fine. I did expect some deviation in accuracy but not that. Using the Lee Factory crimp die to crimp separately from seating by the way.

Ok, first off, check all of those cases fore case length. Trim as required so that you are getting a uniform crimp on all cases.

I'd pitch those cases that your friend provided. Or at least set them aside until you can inspect them. Those cases have been shot more than makes sense to reuse.

Ok, first off, check all of those cases fore case length. Trim as required so that you are getting a uniform crimp on all cases.

I'd pitch those cases that your friend provided. Or at least set them aside until you can inspect them. Those cases have been shot more than makes sense to reuse.
Case length gauge and holder are on the way from Lee, they didn't think to let a guy know that the case prep tools included in the kit are useless without their case length gauge and holder thingamajig.

I also ordered 1000 cases from starline a few days ago as I read they were top notch as far as consistency goes. I may just junk all my federal cases since I don't want to be trying to develop loads for two different cases and my buddies cases are mixed in with mine.

Are you saying the cases I got from my buddy look like they were fired more than once before I got them? He doesn't reload so it should have all been factory ammo fired once by him, once by me, and this would have been the third time. How many firings roughly is a good expectation? I've read anywhere from 5 to 15 depending on crimp and load is that right?