Relocating Spare Tire Inside for Fold Down Tailgate

Irishguy

TJ Enthusiast
I want to re-engineer my tailgate to be a true tailgate that folds down and basically turns the back of my TJ into a little mini-truck bed. I will not be running a back seat at all. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to make my Jeep more utilitarian for hauling stuff around the house and the cabin.

This leaves me with the dilemma of what to do with the spare. I want to remove it from the tail gate , but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with just leaving it at home all the time. I know I could go with a swing out tire carrier mounted on an aftermarket rear bumper and I am strongly considering that, but as I was standing there looking at my TJ the other day I took a measuring tape and realized that I could mount it inside the Jeep over the right rear fender well. I can design a bracket (I design steel structures for a living) and have it fabricated that would bolt (clamp) to both of the right rear roll bar uprights and mount the spare up and out of the way over the right rear fender well and tucked in between the two roll bar uprights. Kind of like in a XJ.

It would just be a simple flat bar with hole sin the ends and a "U" bolt to bolt around each roll bar upright and a bolting pattern in the center to bolt the spare tire (or bolt the spare tire mount that I remove from the back of the Jeep.

One day this week while it's not raining I'm going to take the spare off and just set it up there and maybe strap it in with a ratchet strap or something and just see how it looks.

I've Googled images of this and came up with nothing. I realize this wouldn't work with super large tires, but mine are only like 29" in overall diameter.

Does this seem like a crazy idea?

Last edited:
Not crazy at all. I mounted my spare on the fender on my '79 CJ-7. All I used was a simple "J" bolt and a big wingnut. You want to mount it to the left fender, though. If you mount it to the right one, you won't be able to see traffic on that side.

Not crazy at all. I mounted my spare on the fender on my '79 CJ-7. All I used was a simple "J" bolt and a big wingnut. You want to mount it to the left fender, though. If you mount it to the right one, you won't be able to see traffic on that side.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I was more concerned about weight distribution with me and the tire on the left, but I've reconsidered about the right side thinking about the giant blind spot I would be creating.

A CJ7 tail gate fits the TJ tub opening. The difficult part is figuring out a latching system.

I'm kind of liking the idea of putting on a CJ tailgate and just using the little latch system that was on the CJ. Where I live and work and where our cabin is I don't have a problem with people trying to break in my TJ. I can buy the conversion kit for about $100 and get a new reproduction CJ tailgate for about $140.

The CJ7 latch doesn't work well with the TJ soft and hard tops. In our case, the gate closes on top of the rear window. Then you need to somehow reach inside and secure the latches. You'll need to work out something that allows you to secure the gate from the outside.

You mean like this? Looks like the guy removed his spare tire carrier and bolted it to the tub. If I didn't have my OR-Fab tire carrier, I'd seriously consider this. Pretty neat, really.

I've also seen guys mount their tires like this when they're too big to lay flat.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with just leaving it at home all the time.

I'm not sure if you're part of a club, but many clubs up here in the Midwest require members to have their spare tire with them at all times. If someone gets a flat, it can be swapped out and the group can keep moving.

Getting stuck with a flat sucks!

Last edited:
I was standing there looking at my TJ the other day I took a measuring tape and realized that I could mount it inside the Jeep over the right rear fender well. I can design a bracket (I design steel structures for a living) and have it fabricated that would bolt (clamp) to both of the right rear roll bar uprights and mount the spare up and out of the way over the right rear fender well and tucked in between the two roll bar uprights. Kind of like in a XJ.

It would just be a simple flat bar with holes in the ends and a "U" bolt to bolt around each roll bar upright and a bolting pattern in the center to bolt the spare tire (or bolt the spare tire mount that I remove from the back of the Jeep.

Hey, Irishguy, I realize this is a dormant thread, but what did you end up doing with your spare? I recently got rid of my tailgate (the hinges were shot from carrying larger than stock tires) and converted to a drop-down tailgate. I did it without thinking about where I'd place my spare, though. I've been rolling w/o one these last couple of months but really want to come up with a way to carry it without taking up my entire cargo area. I really like the idea you described of mounting the spare between the roll bar uprights over the fender well.

If you could let me know what solution you worked out and maybe include a pic of your set-up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If I remember my measuring correctly you can fit up to a 33" laying flat on the cargo area. Just build a flat piece above it (like the guys do with drawer sliders). I had also thought about mounting to the side of the rear roll bars too, using the left side. Put it on the right side and you'll be blind to everything over there. I gave up both ideas. Can't remember why exactly, but I'd be very interested to see if it works mounted to the bars.

Currently, I've got the tire strapped down in the rear. If I end up having to go that route, I will install something like what I've pictured below. The only problem is that it takes up the area for my dogs, so I am really hoping for a sport bar solution as Irishman described. My fabrication skills are for $hite, so I will have to find a local welder to do this, I guess.
tire_mount.jpg

I can buy the conversion kit for about $100 and get a new reproduction CJ tailgate for about $140.

The Swag kit was nice, but I had a few issues with my end product.

1. The Swag kit assumes you're using an OE tailgate with the brackets for the cables and the latches. I had to bend some plate and source some bolts to make the cable brackets. I bought the latches/shouldered latch bolts separately.

2. The factory latches need something to close against. There are a number of threads scattered around forums on different options. They are not a good option for the hardtop, obviously. And as noted above, the soft top back window is wider in a TJ, so you have to reach further in to open/close.

3. The reproduction CJ tailgates are garbage, and the reproduction seal kits aren't much better. Mine bent the first time I sat on it. I'd strongly recommend picking up an OE tailgate and take the time to repair it as needed, or if that's not an option, plan on adding some reinforcement to the gate and spending some extra time to get the seals to fit.

You are correct, brother...as I found out only too well. Unfortunately, this is one bell that cannot be unrung. Not only did I end up installing the Swag kit (both hinges were locked up, rusted and broken after years of OH winters), I got it as a gift from the gf who went all out (she also ordered the Omix-ADA CJ replica tailgate) and had her cousin cut out the area where the hinges connected to the body and replaced, primed and painted it all. For all intents and purposes, the rear of my TJ is now a CJ.

That left me with two issues: First, it's a pain in the ass to have to undo the soft top every time I want to open the tailgate. I am working on a solution to use a camlock to open the tailgate from the outside.

The second issue is, again, because of the gf: I was all set to install a swing-out tire carrier but she does not want the Jeep logo on the replica tailgate covered up by a spare. Never mind that CJs (CJ-7s, I believe) utilized the swing-out carrier ... and I've learned that some fights just aren't worth having.

Hence the need to find a spare tire solution that is functional for me and appeases her.

I ended up using a pair of Quick Latch mini latches... They're like miniature push-button hood pins. The first thing I needed to was to make a place to mount the studs. I got the 2x2 angle cut, drilled and mounted. Then I got the holes drilled in the tailgate... 3/4" on the outside and 1 1/8" inside... And then mounted everything up and got it dialed in.

562b3a180fce23145b6a03fb06dcde1e.jpg

09433f980824fe9216c064b7c5b805e2.jpg

d68f9e368a3a40ff0131dd45eb210172.jpg

This was my last LJ, but I'm planning on something similar eventually with my new one. The non-locking tailgate was never a concern. The biggest difference this time around is I'll use an OE CJ tailgate and have it painted instead of painting it myself. The Jeep is too nice for my poor painting skills.

LOL...I thought your screen name looked familiar. We discussed the latches in another forum. If I remember correctly, you purchased those mini-latches from Summit Racing, which happens to be about 15 min from where I live in NE OH. I like those and am either going to do those myself or talk to my gf's cousin and see if he can repurpose the CJ liftgate T-handle and cable-cam latch into opening the tailgate.

That problem is solved; but I have got to do something about the spare. That's why I'm hoping Irishguy came up with a solution to mount the spare between the vertical bars behind the driver's seat like in the old Cherokees.

What did you do for the spare?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Again, laying the spare flat in the tub is a last resort because of the dogs. I'm thinking, since this is mostly due to the insistence of my gf, of just having her carry the spare in the front seat...lol.

I just finished doing this yesterday. This is an option that is solid for offroad use and allows for some storage underneath. You can tweak it to the dimensions you want. You can fit a 35" tire flat in the bed. With this mount you could fit a 37" if you want. I'll also be installing a CJ tailgate in the very near future.

MVIMG_20200622_132203.jpg

IMG_20200622_132213.jpg

IMG_20200622_134520.jpg

IMG_20200622_134536.jpg

Last edited:
LOL...I thought your screen name looked familiar. We discussed the latches in another forum. If I remember correctly, you purchased those mini-latches from Summit Racing, which happens to be about 15 min from where I live in NE OH. I like those and am either going to do those myself or talk to my gf's cousin and see if he can repurpose the CJ liftgate T-handle and cable-cam latch into opening the tailgate.

What did you do for the spare?

I did get them from Summit. They worked very well and I'd definitely recommend them.

I didn't have a spare for that Jeep. The spare rim was bent so I never bought a matching spare for it, and I sold it before I got around to it. My current LJ has a full size spare and that's definitely a consideration moving forward. Not sure what I'll do if/when I move it off the tailgate. I don't drive the Jeep enough to worry about it too much, but it'll required for trail rides, etc. I like the idea of an easily removable swing away.

Good luck with figuring something out that will work for you!

I just finished doing this yesterday. This is an option that is solid for offroad use and allows for some storage underneath. You can tweak it to the dimensions you want. You can fit a 35" tire flat in the bed. With this mount you could fit a 37" if you want. I'll also be installing a CJ tailgate in the very near future.

so your saying a 35, with no changes to the TJ tub will fit a 35 laying in the back (assuming rear seat removed)? I'll be one happy puppy if so.

Last edited: