• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Reminder: Brake Cleaner + Welding = Death

TJ's-TJ

TJ Enthusiast
A quick reminder for those of you that are new to welding or in case you forgot this tidbit:

NEVER clean parts with chlorinated brake cleaner prior to welding. The welding process can break down the brake cleaner into Phosgene gas that can destroy your lungs in even very small amounts!

I don't keep in my shop just so there is never a chance that it will be used...

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
On a related note. A local man was spray painting in his garage that he heated with a wood stove. Without windows or doors open for ventilation the paint fumes ignited and he suffered serious burns. Let’s all be careful.

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
Do not mix chlorine with ammonia.
The fumes are deadly.
Years ago, I was called to the scene (Dallas) of a cleaning woman who had mixed these two chemicals as a cleaning solution in a bathroom. It killed her before she could call for help.

Boinked

TJ Addict
Something that I learned 30+ years ago. Brake fluid is flammable and shoots a long way when you hit a brake line by accident while welding.

• Wow
Reactions: Kiwi TJ

psrivats

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Do not mix chlorine with ammonia.
The fumes are deadly.
Years ago, I was called to the scene (Dallas) of a cleaning woman who had mixed these two chemicals as a cleaning solution in a bathroom. It killed her before she could call for help.
Chloramine gas! That shit is deadly.

Reactions: KCsTJ