Removing a locking hitch pin

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
So I have not got a key! I am presuming its original because the entire towing setup is stamped jeep.
I have seen a few vids on leaver breaking them off with a pipe but they are all Harbourfreight type cheap pins, is the jeep pin stronger?
Cant get a grinder or saw on it due to the shackle mounts being so close (original bumper) Its a cylinder lock barrel on straight with very little play or gap to cut it.
Any experience?
Thanks

depending on the quality of your lock you can just drill the lock channel out.
i actually had to do this today for a bike rack.
1610762174699.png

Got a picture? I would agree with drilling it out as long as you can drill straight in. The pins are most likely brass but the key Chanel may be steel. Go easy. If you break a bit off in it, that would be bad.

Got a picture? I would agree with drilling it out as long as you can drill straight in. The pins are most likely brass but the key Chanel may be steel. Go easy. If you break a bit off in it, that would be bad.
Its a tubular lock not sure what they are called? not a normal key a barrel.

All done! thanks for the reply's I did it with a sawzall, it was a lot stronger steel than the ones I see cut off in youtube.
As I am getting older I just cant seem to jump into things like I used to a few years ago, maybe its because of internet info? Its just so easy to ask first.

Cheers

lock pin.jpg

Carbide sawsall blades or a good 4 1/2" grinder (can also get carbide for that too) are easy. The 'ole gas wrench can do the job too!😉

Milwaukee torch blades work well. Make sure you match the tpi for the material you are cutting, 24tpi blade is for thin material a 10tpi blade is better for thicker material. You’d be amazed the difference having the right blade makes.

Reactions: MountaineerTom