Replacement foam options for between the radiator and condenser

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
After replacing the radiator, the foam that keeps debris from getting in between the radiator and condenser has disintegrated. What have you used to replace that?

I’d like to know that too. Mine was missing in some places and really hard and brittle in others. I temporarily cut a section of foam pipe insulation and kind of wedged in there. I’d like to find something more permanent and better looking.

Thinking of trying some dense square or rectangular foam used in sealing off window unit air conditioners If I can find a size that will work.

I cut some foam pipe insulation for that and the first one fell down in within a couple days. The second try was better and it lasted about a week. That was a couple years ago and I didn't try a third time.

Now I'm wondering how important it is to have that and what am I screwing up driving without it. This thread may stop my wondering about it.

Reactions: AndyG and Irun
I used this 3/4 x 1” high density foam that I got from Amazon.

F72021FD-DFF1-43C3-8335-EFD651DCE391.jpeg

It has an adhesive strip on one side. Worked very well, and it’s been in there for 3 or 4 years.

2B16E65B-ACE3-462A-8969-D3ACA491EFF2.jpeg

I imagine it, or a similar size, would work in the stock setup.

I cut some foam pipe insulation for that and the first one fell down in within a couple days. The second try was better and it lasted about a week. That was a couple years ago and I didn't try a third time.

Now I'm wondering how important it is to have that and what am I screwing up driving without it. This thread may stop my wondering about it.
More important than you think. Have you seen the crap that gets trapped in the front bottom of the condenser? At least there, you can clean it. Behind it, not so much!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I used this 3/4 x 1” high density foam that I got from Amazon.

View attachment 315882

It has an adhesive strip on one side. Worked very well, and it’s been in there for 3 or 4 years.

View attachment 315884

I imagine it, or a similar size, would work in the stock setup.
I found this one, which says:

"The foam seal tape is made from material, CR foam, Neoprene, which has excellent sealing and resistance to deformation feature, can be used from -50℃ to 150℃."

"We used the highest quality material to make our weather insulation tape. Some of its strong features include its weather resistance, water resistance, chemical resistance, and thermal resistance. The door seal tape is, however, very easy to cut or bend, providing an easy solution for all insulation needs. It is also ideal for achieving an air-tight seal, for situations where it is required. It works perfectly with T-shaped pipes and tubes, it is extremely flexible.

Will confirm needed size, order, then report back!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M83PYPR/?tag=wranglerorg-20

More important than you think. Have you seen the crap that gets trapped in the front bottom of the condenser? At least there, you can clean it. Behind it, not so much!

I actually have my radiator removed to change the water pump. I didn't see anything that fell down between the radiator and the condenser but I'm glad I took that out. While the condenser looked good through the grill, both the condenser and the radiator had the lower three inches blocked with mud baked between the cooling fins. I thought I cleaned all that out with the garden hose but when I checked them with a light on the other side I had to do it again.

I actually have my radiator removed to change the water pump. I didn't see anything that fell down between the radiator and the condenser but I'm glad I took that out. While the condenser looked good through the grill, both the condenser and the radiator had the lower three inches blocked with mud baked between the cooling fins. I thought I cleaned all that out with the garden hose but when I checked them with a light on the other side I had to do it again.
I think one thing that it helps with is pulling air through the condenser rather than through that gap where the foam should be. In theory, being sealed up should make your A/C a little cooler. How much, I don't know. It might not be enough to notice.

Reactions: Elliott and Irun
I think one thing that it helps with is pulling air through the condenser rather than through that gap where the foam should be. In theory, being sealed up should make your A/C a little cooler. How much, I don't know. It might not be enough to notice.
I think of it as stacking tolerances. 5% here, 5% here. each one not enough to make any difference, but at some point there is enough loss that it becomes an issue.

It's important to seal those gaps, if you've dealt with air stacks on carbs you know air just bends right around corners and will bypass the condenser if you give it a chance. Air doesn't have allot of momentum, it doesn't push on through anything. It's always simply pulled from the easiest source.

I just used some run-of-the-mill weatherstripping from Home Depot that I had on hand. It's white and ugly as sin but it's worked for a few months now. Next comes the problem of removing it and replacing it with some of the same in black.

Reactions: kmas0n
I ended up ordering this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M83PYPR/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Installation was easy, without having to loosen anything. I cleaned out the old seal, then measured and cut a piece to fit. Placing the paper side down, leaving the paper covering the adhesive on, I started on the driver side and fed it through to the passenger side. Once I got about 1/2 way a pair of needle nose pliers were used to pull it the rest of the way. 10 minute job, tops.

20220318_133146.jpg

20220318_135609.jpg

Last edited: