Replacement struts for hardtop rear glass?

Does anybody know what the stock force on these struts should be?

I *think* they need to be 145N (33lbs or so) but not sure.

Mine snapped on with no tools. Did you remove the ball stud from the top? The 2003 FSM says those should be tightened to 12 N-m (112 in-lbs).

Mine snapped on with no tools. Did you remove the ball stud from the top? The 2003 FSM says those should be tightened to 12 N-m (112 in-lbs).
Oh No, I mean the actual force that the struts provide to the glass. Like how much they lift the thing.

Apparently if you get ones that are too strong you can put too much force against them trying to close and crack the glass.

I've had the Amazon struts on my LJ for the past year and I'm very satisfied. I understand using OEM in a lot of cases (O2 sensors, radiator, etc.), but for the struts I see no reason to spend 2-3 times as much just so you can say they're OEM.

Reactions: Jamison C
I've had the Amazon struts on my LJ for the past year and I'm very satisfied. I understand using OEM in a lot of cases (O2 sensors, radiator, etc.), but for the struts I see no reason to spend 2-3 times as much just so you can say they're OEM.
Yeah some local TJ guys have found a gas strut place locally that has the right length, we're just tryna make sure we don't get ones that are so strong they turn the rear glass into a catapult haha Or too weak that they don't lift it.

But I think 145N (33lbs) is right.

Reactions: SoCalGlide
I agree, I’ve had some Dorman ones on for 2 years and they still work like the day I put them on.

I need to look at whatever is on my top. The guy I bought the top from said he'd replaced them last year, I think. Didn't think to ask with what. They seem.......a little strong.

Side note: the dealer where I work, took a 2011 70th Anniversary 2 door in on trade the other day. 22,000 miles on it. Anyway, someone had put rubber bungees next to the struts on the back glass, I guess to lessen the oomph needed to bring the glass down and/or slow the glass opening. At least, that's my guess as to why they're there.

Do you guys know if you need to have the correct length for the shocks on rear glass or they can be the longer universal version?

I purchased these off amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z2CXFLW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

All the other options online were showing the same size (Extended Length: 25" and Compressed: 14" ) and all reviews saying that it fits an 01 hardtop which is what i have. Anyone know if i can still use these even they are double the size of the ones that were on top before?

Do you guys know if you need to have the correct length for the struts on rear glass or they can be the longer universal version?

I purchased these off amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z2CXFLW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

All the other options online were showing the same size (Extended Length: 25" and Compressed: 14" ) and all reviews saying that it fits an 01 hardtop which is what i have.

Last edited:
I have no experience with them, but they should work fine. Let us know how they hold up
Do you guys know if you need to have the correct length for the shocks on rear glass or they can be the longer universal version?

All the other options online were showing the same size (Extended Length: 25" and Compressed: 14" ) and all reviews saying that it fits an 01 hardtop which is what i have.

I have no experience with them, but they should work fine. Let us know how they hold up
Thanks man, but I just want to make sure I’m asking because I have never owned a hardtop and I do not want to end up breaking the new glass. I attached a picture of how small the old ones are in comparison

6050A544-E995-46C6-8433-FA37DF7211A4.jpeg

Those short ones look like a headache ready to happen.
Can you please tell me more on your thoughts pls! I am clueless about how these hardtops work and I'm trying to figure it out if it's the right size. You're saying it's a headache because they are very short and they wouldn't extend the window very far? The person i bought the top from gave me the shocks but the top had a busted rear window already ...

From looking everywhere online, I keep reading and seeing people breaking their glass after replacing their struts ... I am trying to avoid this as the new glass isn't cheap. I am just trying to figure out if it's okay to use those struts even though they are longer? I am having a glass shop install all the windows. This shop knows only how to install windows and I just don't want my warranty for their work to be affected because I supplied them the wrong parts.

Last edited:
These were on my top when I bought it. They are strong enough for one strut to hold the glass up but may not in cold weather. It takes a little force to close the glass but I dont have the feeling I will brake it.

IMG_6110.jpeg

IMG_6111.jpeg

IMG_6111.jpeg

These were on my top when I bought it. They are strong enough for one strut to hold the glass up but may not in cold weather. It takes a little force to close the glass but I dont have the feeling I will brake it.

View attachment 202846

View attachment 202845

View attachment 202847
The "strongarm" struts you purchased were longer than the ones you had on or those were the ones that came with your top?
I am asking because the ones I purchased are literally double the length.
Are these the ones you bought or have on? https://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-Wrangler-Window-Supports-Hardtop/dp/B001O10IJW#customerReviews
If they are , do you know if they are like 25 inches long extended? ... does it matter if the struts are double the length because that's all I can find available struts for any tj top are like 25inches long extended?

The "strongarm" struts you purchased were longer than the ones you had on or those were the ones that came with your top?
I am asking because the ones I purchased are literally double the length.
Are these the ones you bought or have on? https://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-Wrangler-Window-Supports-Hardtop/dp/B001O10IJW#customerReviews
If they are , do you know if they are like 25 inches long extended? ... does it matter if the struts are double the length because that's all I can find available struts for any tj top are like 25inches long extended?
All I know is they were on the top when I bough it and I believe my picture shows part numbers. They work fine. The glass goes a little higher than horizontal which is perfect for my Jeep on 35's and 5 inch lift.

Last edited:
Reactions: alittleoff
Can you please tell me more on your thoughts pls! I am clueless about how these hardtops work and I'm trying to figure it out if it's the right size. You're saying it's a headache because they are very short and they wouldn't extend the window very far? The person i bought the top from gave me the shocks but the top had a busted rear window already ...

From looking everywhere online, I keep reading and seeing people breaking their glass after replacing their struts ... I am trying to avoid this as the new glass isn't cheap. I am just trying to figure out if it's okay to use those struts even though they are longer? I am having a glass shop install all the windows. This shop knows only how to install windows and I just don't want my warranty for their work to be affected because I supplied them the wrong parts.
The headache part is if the window doesn’t go all the way up and you hit your forehead on the edge.
Before I replaced mine, they would not go up all the way. The last 2” of strut travel had to be pushed up by hand.
I have heard of people not buying the correct poundage struts. It only needs to lift a piece of glass and not a big hatchback door. And I’m sorry but I don’t know what the correct poundage is.

Reactions: Bitar100
Throw them on and see how they do. My glass also lifts a few inches above horizontal when opened. They only take a few minutes to pop on, if they seem alright I wouldn’t be too concerned. I have had some cheap Dorman brand struts on for a few years now with no issue. If you’re that concerned with using improper ones, I would just go with OEM.

All the 1 star reviews say the struts i got were too long and stop it from closing all way or it almost broke their window.
So I guess ill try and see if they work first before returning them.
Throw them on and see how they do. My glass also lifts a few inches above horizontal when opened. They only take a few minutes to pop on, if they seem alright I wouldn’t be too concerned. I have had some cheap Dorman brand struts on for a few years now with no issue. If you’re that concerned with using improper ones, I would just go with OEM.

Have you installed a rear window before? i have been looking online and it doesn't look hard , would you say its not to bad to replace it yourself? I am not sure if should have a glass shop try and see if the struts fit or I should do the install for the rear glass myself. I am asking because all my windows need to be replaced on my top and i don't trust myself to do the passengers sides so i am going to glass shop. Would recommend to have a glass shop try to install everything for the rear to?

All the 1 star reviews say the struts i got were too long and stop it from closing all way or it almost broke their window.
So I guess ill try and see if they work first before returning them.

Have you installed a rear window before? i have been looking online and it doesn't look hard , would you say its not to bad to replace it yourself? I am not sure if should have a glass shop try and see if the struts fit or I should do the install for the rear glass myself. I am asking because all my windows need to be replaced on my top and i don't trust myself to do the passengers sides so i am going to glass shop. Would recommend to have a glass shop try to install everything for the rear to?
The rule I live by: if I know I'm not good at something, I pay the experts to do it. If the side windows are being replaced by the shop, just have them do the rear glass as well, and be done with it. That's my recommendation.

Reactions: Bitar100