Replacing driveshaft

Dalton_zzz

So I have had my tj for about a year now and I’m learning slowly to do my own work and maintenance. I love it. But a while ago my transfer case linkage broke and I could not fix it at the time. A little while later it somehow got shifted into 4L and I daily my Jeep so I was on pavement. It began vibrating and wheel hop was there and before I could do the research to find out what the problem was. My driveshaft feel out on my way home from work. From what I can tell it failed at the pinion yoke. The bracket that holds the u-joint in place sheared a bolt on one side and my driveshaft flew off. I know the points of interest that could’ve been damaged are the rear diff and the transfer case and wanted to know how to check those (also how to get my Jeep back into 2H without a linkage) for damage. I put my Jeep on jack stands and rotated the tires and the pinion yoke and from my understanding it’s all in working order (if that is a valid test) but I do not know where to begin with my transfer case. I just bought a new rear axle and I’m preparing to put it in. Just wanted to get some feedback and ask for help. Thanks

Assuming you have a non-rubicon, there’s a tab (about 3” long), attached to the transfer case that is connected to the linkage. You can see it by looking above the skid plate on the drivers side. You will need to pull the tab forward to about 5 o’oclock for 2wd.

While you’re in their the savvy cable shifter is a great upgrade to avoid this in the future and make shifting butter smooth moving forward.

Assuming you have a non-rubicon, there’s a tab (about 3” long), attached to the transfer case that is connected to the linkage. You can see it by looking above the skid plate on the drivers side. You will need to pull the tab forward to about 5 o’oclock for 2wd.

While you’re in their the savvy cable shifter is a great upgrade to avoid this in the future and make shifting butter smooth moving forward.

X2.

I had my linkage disconnected when installing a new shifter cable and somehow it popped out of 4wd too, it was a pain in the ass to figure out what position was what. Seemed like everything was locking up no matter where I placed it.

Reactions: Dalton_zzz