Replacing steering dampener (Why is this such a nightmare?)

If you have an air compressor to use these things really come in handy. They’ll piss off the neighbors, but an air hammer with a flat bit does wonders for getting stubborn suspension bolts apart. I recently finished the front end of my TJ and did t have to swing a hammer once.

1595769179728.jpeg

If you have an air compressor to use these things really come in handy. They’ll piss off the neighbors, but an air hammer with a flat bit does wonders for getting stubborn suspension bolts apart. I recently finished the front end of my TJ and did t have to swing a hammer once.

View attachment 179486
I was going to suggest this myself. I have used one many times when I’m in a bind. I believe the last time I used it was on the same issue op is having. I had swung once with the hammer and smashed my fingernail pretty bad on something mid swing somehow, used the air hammer & first pop and it was off.

So I tried the air hammer. No go.

Finally decided to drill it out. Got it down to about 1/16" material left around the edges (even followed the taper) and still couldn't get it to free up. I have never had a bolt give me so much trouble.

But the problem is now solved. Got on RockAuto and ordered all the Moog parts to do the ZJ tie rod upgrade with new TJ drag link. Figured since I would need to align it, might as well get the Moog front upper and lower control arms as well. And since I got the front, went ahead and got the rear upper and lower ones as well.

So... Steering Stabilizer problem is solved. For a mere $467. Stupid bolt.

No need for a torch. Use a BFH (BIG fucking hammer) to bang on the SIDE of the drag link next to where the stud passes through it. Do not bang on the end of the stud which will just mushroom the stud and make it even harder to remove.

I couldn’t find my Snap-On hammer, so resorted to using little carpenter one. because it was going in the trash anyways, I wasn’t very gentle with the stabilizer connection to the drag link. After 20 minutes, it gave up. Two minutes later I found that fucking Snap-on!

Damn, that was one stubborn bolt.

It feels as though it was welded in. Who knows, maybe the PO used JB Weld as an assembly lube.

Not worth any more time fighting it and a steering / tie rod refresh would be welcome on this 21 year old rig. Once those are done, the only original parts left will be the track bars.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
The Stabilizer is disconnected at the other end so there is no pressure on it at all. Just the bolt, stuck in the bar.

Gotcha!

When i replaced those items... the tapered bolts where a PITA.. i remember using PB Blaster, a hammer, and pry bar. I do remember moving tge bar a bit to allwviate pressure which helped.

So I tried the air hammer. No go.

Finally decided to drill it out. Got it down to about 1/16" material left around the edges (even followed the taper) and still couldn't get it to free up. I have never had a bolt give me so much trouble.

But the problem is now solved. Got on RockAuto and ordered all the Moog parts to do the ZJ tie rod upgrade with new TJ drag link. Figured since I would need to align it, might as well get the Moog front upper and lower control arms as well. And since I got the front, went ahead and got the rear upper and lower ones as well.

So... Steering Stabilizer problem is solved. For a mere $467. Stupid bolt.

That's always how it goes, especially up here in the north.

At least it's done, plus you got a nice upgrade out of your frustration.

That's always how it goes, especially up here in the north.

At least it's done, plus you got a nice upgrade out of your frustration.

I remember life in the North. Went to college in Albany NY. After moving back to Texas, I needed a torch to remove the shifter linkage from the car I had up there.

Crazy part is that this Jeep has never lived outside of Texas and there is zero rust anywhere. I expected this bolt to be a little sticky, just not completely fused.

Looking forward to the upgrade!

I had this same problem, and worked on it for 3 days. I was told a few little taps on the bar near the bolt would be enough, and that they should be soft taps-no "King Kong" beating required. Didn't work. Tried torches. Didn't work. Tried two different pullers-neither worked, and both ended up bent beyond being of any future use.

I am a very patient man. Finally, on the 3rd day, I lost all semblance of patience. Got the 3lb sledge hammer (the 12 pounder's handle was too long) and started just wailing on the bar next to the bolt-I was not holding back at all and went full "King Kong" on it. I was prepared to absolutely destroy that bar, and that was my plan. If I needed to replace anything, well no problem. On about the 4th hit the stupid thing just went "sproing" and popped right out, like it was just waiting for me to do it this way: "Hi! What took you so long?" Just like Jerry Bransford said in his post.

I admit, I beat that damned thing down to about 1/4" in thickness until I could calm TF down. I had a full-on tantrum on that stabilizer like I was a two year old. Haven't lost my temper like that in decades. I kind of wish the whole thing had been caught on video-it would have been interesting and possibly humorous to see a supposedly grown man being owned by a farging steering stabilizer.

Reactions: TrueTexas
I had this same problem, and worked on it for 3 days. I was told a few little taps on the bar near the bolt would be enough, and that they should be soft taps-no "King Kong" beating required. Didn't work. Tried torches. Didn't work. Tried two different pullers-neither worked, and both ended up bent beyond being of any future use.

I am a very patient man. Finally, on the 3rd day, I lost all semblance of patience. Got the 3lb sledge hammer (the 12 pounder's handle was too long) and started just wailing on the bar next to the bolt-I was not holding back at all and went full "King Kong" on it. I was prepared to absolutely destroy that bar, and that was my plan. If I needed to replace anything, well no problem. On about the 4th hit the stupid thing just went "sproing" and popped right out, like it was just waiting for me to do it this way: "Hi! What took you so long?" Just like Jerry Bransford said in his post.

I admit, I beat that damned thing down to about 1/4" in thickness until I could calm TF down. I had a full-on tantrum on that stabilizer like I was a two year old. Haven't lost my temper like that in decades. I kind of wish the whole thing had been caught on video-it would have been interesting and possibly humorous to see a supposedly grown man being owned by a farging steering stabilizer.

I also spent 3 days on this thing. At this point it is almost completely drilled out and not moving. I didn't go full King Kong on it but I definitely put some muscle into it.

Fortunately, I have a supportive wife who calmed me down by asking me if my Jeeps have kept me sane thru this pandemic. Then she went on to tell me to order all the parts I need and just finish building it the way I want. She finished by telling me that I should also just buy another Dana 44 for the rear instead of swapping it over from my other rig.

I married the right girl.