Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

Since I just bought a new to me 2004 Rubicon, I decided to do this mod again. I also wanted to verify that everything I said above was correct.

Here are some photos for the lights in the rocker switches. Once you pull out the frame for the switches (and power outlets), you'll see this:

View attachment 32888

To get to the main switch light, you need to pull each switch from the frame. It is much easier to do if you unplug each of the switches and outlets. There are clips on both top and bottom. Pry the clips carefully with a very small flat screwdriver or a thin trim removal tool. Be very careful as these clips are easy to break. Once you get a switch out, you'll see this:

View attachment 32889

On the bottom is the main switch light bulb. This bulb is illuminated any time the parking lights or headlights are on. Turn the bulb a 1/4 turn with pliers or a very small screwdriver to remove. The replacement light on the bottom is the 4mm (from post #2).

I made a mistake in my earlier post that the bottom and top bulbs are the same. Unfortunately, the top light (for the indicator) is a different bulb and I'm not sure what size it is. My best guess would be a 3mm size in the same style as the 4mm bulbs.

View attachment 32890

As you can see from the first photo, the indicator bulbs are accessible without removing the switches from the frame.

If you have a Rubicon model, the Axle Lock switch is a tougher one to swap to LED. The inside of the switch looks like this:

View attachment 32891

I didn't attempt to swap these bulbs, as it appears there would need to be some soldering. I'm sure someone with the right expertise would have no problem.

The finished product:

View attachment 32892

View attachment 32893

View attachment 32894

You can see that the Axle Lock switch is a touch dim compared to the other switches (since I didn't swap it), but it isn't drastically different. I can definitely live with it. Also, I wanted to show the indicator light on the rear defrost switch because I didn't change that one either and it still looks pretty good. I'd be curious to see how bright it is with an LED if someone were to determine the bulb.
Great post, thank you! I have a rear defrost switch back light on my ‘06 LJ that’s out and wondering how to access it. Looking for advice on how to remove the rocker panel for my three switches?

Great post, thank you! I have a rear defrost switch back light on my ‘06 LJ that’s out and wondering how to access it. Looking for advice on how to remove the rocker panel for my three switches?

Pull the center dash trim, remove switch panel, the little bulb holders should be visible. You may or may not have to remove the switch from the trim piece...I can’t remember if I did or not. Just turn the bulb holder and it comes out.

Reactions: americanwrkmule
SMD = Surface Mount Diode
Actually, SMD stands for Surface Mount Device. A SMD part can be a resistor, capacitor, diode, IC, rectifier, filter, you name it, as long as it is surface mounted.

I'm a SMT Process Engineer by trade, so I know these nerdy things, but what you said is close enough for the discussion. I'm just clarifying things a bit.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
Do specific colors need to be purchased to keep the lights looking stock? Or can I just purchase all warm white.

Do specific colors need to be purchased to keep the lights looking stock? Or can I just purchase all warm white.

You can use any color you want. Some guys do all red. Some all green. Others stock colors. Search google images for "jeep tj interior led lights". Or words to that effect. You'll be able to see various different colored LED's in dashes. Or just search this forum for the same.

I don't know what stock colors are in LED's. But warm white should be fine. Probably closer to stock color but alot brighter than the stock bulbs. As they are LED's.

Warm white is what I put in. The LEDs are very bright and somewhat cooler (whiter) than incandescents. Wonderful upgrade.

Warm white is what I put in. The LEDs are very bright and somewhat cooler (whiter) than incandescents. Wonderful upgrade.

I bought bright white IIRC. Have not put them in yet. This reminds me. I might try putting them in this weekend. I hope they are not to bright. But my dash is pretty dull. So any greater amount of light will be greatly appreciated.

I put in cool white because I was trying to match the aftermarket stereo I have. Part number from super bright leds.com was T1.5-CWHP: Cool White. These only have one LED per bulb where others have multiple LEDs per bulb. I was concerned with them being too bright. I only use them on the dimmest setting.

vSLx3u4NTsGTYEyP9pS6gA.jpg

You can use any color you want. Some guys do all red. Some all green. Others stock colors. Search google images for "jeep tj interior led lights". Or words to that effect. You'll be able to see various different colored LED's in dashes. Or just search this forum for the same.

I don't know what stock colors are in LED's. But warm white should be fine. Probably closer to stock color but alot brighter than the stock bulbs. As they are LED's.

I think I worded my question poorly, are the oem bulbs tinted or are the panels they sit behind? If I were to say purchase all warm leds will the check engine still be orange/red, ac controls red/blue... etc.

I should have specified, I replaced only the cabin lighting with LEDs, not the dash and switch indicator lamps, which I kept stock to preserve the dimming feature.

Many years of night flying taught me to keep cockpit interior illumination as dim as possible, to keep my 'visual purple' in good shape for night vision. The only time I want more brightness on the dash is daytime with headlights on, when things like the odometer display are too dim. Mildly annoying only.

I think I worded my question poorly, are the oem bulbs tinted or are the panels they sit behind? If I were to say purchase all warm leds will the check engine still be orange/red, ac controls red/blue... etc.

The original bulbs that I pulled out of mine were not tinted, just regular clear incandescent bulbs. I had Cool White LEDs if for a couple years and they looked great. This past spring I changed them all to green and like that as well. I have a pic on my laptop of the original bulbs and the cool white in the cluster at the same time so you can see the difference. I’ll post it for you in a bit.

Here is the factory bulbs on the left and cool white LEDs in the middle and right.

factory left - led middle and right 1.JPG

A full shot of the gauges in cool white.

IMG_0779.JPG

Full interior of green. The needles can be a little hard to see at first sometimes with the green.
IMG_7687.JPG

I little clearer shot of the gauges.

IMG_8559.JPG

Climate controls with green on the left and cool white on the right.

IMG_7636.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepZilla380
Not sure if anyone else ran into this but for my '04 Sport, the 4mm's I ordered for the rocker switches were too big. It looks like they need the 3mm's for sure. If anyone else can confirm, we should update the OP. Everything else went pretty smoothly!

Not sure if anyone else ran into this but for my '04 Sport, the 4mm's I ordered for the rocker switches were too big. It looks like they need the 3mm's for sure. If anyone else can confirm, we should update the OP. Everything else went pretty smoothly!
4mm work for the back light, which is on the bottom of the switch. 3mm should work for the indicator, on the top.

I can say from experience to be careful with the instrument cluster lights. The replacements from Superbright are easily damaged when installing. They have very delicate housings.

I guess with colored bulbs there is no easy way to keep the needles illuminating orange? That would be really slick looking.

I can say from experience to be careful with the instrument cluster lights. The replacements from Superbright are easily damaged when installing. They have very delicate housings.

Yeah, you really have to wiggle them in there gently and firmly at the same time. It's snug.