Responsible Pet Ownership

Money doesn't last forever anyway.

Put me in the camp with the weirdos. Over Christmas our kitten's health declined rapidly, she got diagnosed with what most consider incurable and doesn't end well. Sucks but we're focusing on the positive and doubled downed and we're doing a trial drug and hoping for the best. Every meal is a struggle getting her to eat, she needs multiple baths per day and Jeep time is going to be less. But I can see in her face that she's happy and she enjoys every moment she has with her sisters and family. If she wants to fight I'll fight with her. So I guess it's not done until it's done.

No you are absolutely not out of line. My handle, “mushdogs” comes from the fact that I “mushed” sled dogs for years. At one point we had 30 dogs between the dogs in the house and the ones that lived in the dog yard. Rescues, litters we bred, dogs I paid for, dogs I traded for. All were loved. There were hard decisions that had to be made when it came to health and quality of life versus what made sense economically.
Do I understand why someone would spend thousands of dollars to try and save or extend the lifespan of their pet? Sure.
I wouldn’t. Not beyond what I see as reasonable.

Good thread. I am going through the decision process now on if I should put my dog down. His name is Max and he is an 11.5yo Golden Retreiver.

I got him when he was 18 months old from a rescue. He had been neglected and had a terrible case of heart worms. The rescue paid for treatment and I got to play nurse. But he survived and was pretty healthy for most of his life. He always had lots of allergies and very sensitive digestion. Feed him the wrong thing and I would be cleaning up stuff from both sides of him for days.

He and I have always had a tumultuous relationship. He was always a very strong willed dog. And I am a stronger willed dog parent. But after he got to about 8yo he mellowed and we have been very close (closer) since.

Over the last year I have spend about $2k on him for versions things. Teeth cleaning and grooming as usual. But his ears and digestion have been problems. And he is getting real weak in the hind end. I have him on $150/month prescriptions to help him with mobility.

But over the last 3 weeks it’s need bad. I gave him his usual monthly topical flea treatment and Ivermectin for heart worms as usual. But the next day he became very ill, listless, would not eat and struggled to get up to go outside to do business. I was planning on taking him in to have him put down on 12/29. But that morning he bounced back and was moving better, eating and seemed happy.

So I postponed. All was pretty well until 1/1 when he hurt his right front leg outside doing his business. He can’t walk on it more than about 30ft at a time. So I have been picking up this 90lb dog and carrying him outside to do business 3 times daily since. But he was still happy and eating very well.

Then last night we were in the den watching tv, when he stood up and projectile sh1t all over the place. Today he’s listless again and not moving around and really isn’t interested in food.

I know what I should do, but I’m struggling. Vet says his blood is normal, and his heart and lungs are very good. I was hoping I could will him back to health, but I guess that is wishful thinking.

The vet asked if I wanted to run tests for various cancers and whatnot, X-rays too. But I asked them what the point would be. Why would I spend even $500 to diagnose something that would take thousands to treat just to buy him a little time. If he were my wife or kids, sure, but he’s a dog and probably isn’t even aware that he’s basically dying.

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch and Kevin Q
Good thread. I am going through the decision process now on if I should put my dog down. His name is Max and he is an 11.5yo Golden Retreiver.

I got him when he was 18 months old from a rescue. He had been neglected and had a terrible case of heart worms. The rescue paid for treatment and I got to play nurse. But he survived and was pretty healthy for most of his life. He always had lots of allergies and very sensitive digestion. Feed him the wrong thing and I would be cleaning up stuff from both sides of him for days.

He and I have always had a tumultuous relationship. He was always a very strong willed dog. And I am a stronger willed dog parent. But after he got to about 8yo he mellowed and we have been very close (closer) since.

Over the last year I have spend about $2k on him for versions things. Teeth cleaning and grooming as usual. But his ears and digestion have been problems. And he is getting real weak in the hind end. I have him on $150/month prescriptions to help him with mobility.

But over the last 3 weeks it’s need bad. I gave him his usual monthly topical flea treatment and Ivermectin for heart worms as usual. But the next day he became very ill, listless, would not eat and struggled to get up to go outside to do business. I was planning on taking him in to have him put down on 12/29. But that morning he bounced back and was moving better, eating and seemed happy.

So I postponed. All was pretty well until 1/1 when he hurt his right front leg outside doing his business. He can’t walk on it more than about 30ft at a time. So I have been picking up this 90lb dog and carrying him outside to do business 3 times daily since. But he was still happy and eating very well.

Then last night we were in the den watching tv, when he stood up and projectile sh1t all over the place. Today he’s listless again and not moving around and really isn’t interested in food.

I know what I should do, but I’m struggling. Vet says his blood is normal, and his heart and lungs are very good. I was hoping I could will him back to health, but I guess that is wishful thinking.

The vet asked if I wanted to run tests for various cancers and whatnot, X-rays too. But I asked them what the point would be. Why would I spend even $500 to diagnose something that would take thousands to treat just to buy him a little time. If he were my wife or kids, sure, but he’s a dog and probably isn’t even aware that he’s basically dying.
Sucks to go through. I’ve had to put 2 dogs down. Both were aweful but, 1 was sudden. The one you have to schedule is worse. Best of luck to you.

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch and mde8965
when it comes to cancer or prolonging a life by just a few months, I'm definitely not spending any significant money. Even with humans I would favor 6 months of feeling ok vs 18 months of chemo-induced misery in those terminal, stage 4 type situations. If it was a young dog that still had many years ahead of them but had a temporary illness or injury, my budget would probably be a bit bigger, but still not enough to involve major, permanent decisions like selling a house and moving.

When I read the title of the thread, I wasn't even thinking about financial stuff. I was thinking about things like people buying a dog just to stick them outside in a kennel to live out a life in isolation. Or people that don't have their dogs wear collars, so if they get out there's basically no hope of getting them back home. That shit drives me crazy. If I see a dog out by itself I'll chase it down and call it's owner....done it before. But if I see there's no collar or tag then there's nothing I can do, so I feel crappy about it but just keep driving.

Reactions: Wildman
I am going through the decision process now on if I should put my dog down.

I've had to put down several dogs and cats in my lifetime. Two thing I take into consideration. The first, is the pain controlled? The second, is the pet aware and happy?

The last dog we put down was an elderly rescue, that paced constantly, never slept, experienced a seizure, and was always thirsty. We only had the dog 3 weeks, but I decided to put her down. The vet agreed with my decision, and said constant pacing is a sign of pain. He also said that dog should have been put down the day she was surrendered to the SPCA, but they have a no kill policy.

Another dog I put down, was one I had since a pup. At age 13 she started having problems catching her breath after mild activity. After about a week, I noticed a change. The term we use is "the light went out" in her eyes. She was not cognizant of her surroundings.

I'm coming up on the first anniversary of the decision to let go of my beloved border collie, Cobi. He'd been suffering from megaesophagus for years and I'd spent thousands of dollars trying to keep him well. But when he reached a point where he couldn't keep any food down and contracted aspiration pneumonia, I couldn't afford to send him back to the animal hospital. He was 12 years old and I'd gone above and beyond my means to give him a quality life. I agonized over whether I was doing the right thing because he was a relentlessly cheerful dog to the very end. I miss him terribly, but saying goodbye freed us both from continued suffering.

I agree that we can love our dogs with everything we've got but still remember they are dogs. Still, how far I would go and how much I would spend on my own dog is situational. If I could, I probably would. But if it meant going into massive debt, I couldn't. And I wouldn't judge someone else for making a similar choice.

Reactions: Squatch
I'm coming up on the first anniversary of the decision to let go of my beloved border collie, Cobi. He'd been suffering from megaesophagus for years and I'd spent thousands of dollars trying to keep him well. But when he reached a point where he couldn't keep any food down and contracted aspiration pneumonia, I couldn't afford to send him back to the animal hospital. He was 12 years old and I'd gone above and beyond my means to give him a quality life. I agonized over whether I was doing the right thing because he was a relentlessly cheerful dog to the very end. I miss him terribly, but saying goodbye freed us both from continued suffering.

I agree that we can love our dogs with everything we've got but still remember they are dogs. Still, how far I would go and how much I would spend on my own dog is situational. If I could, I probably would. But if it meant going into massive debt, I couldn't. And I wouldn't judge someone else for making a similar choice.
Well said. And sorry for your loss. They're all just animals...and yet they aren't. I think that's something we all can agree on.

Put me in the camp with the weirdos. Over Christmas our kitten's health declined rapidly, she got diagnosed with what most consider incurable and doesn't end well. Sucks but we're focusing on the positive and doubled downed and we're doing a trial drug and hoping for the best. Every meal is a struggle getting her to eat, she needs multiple baths per day and Jeep time is going to be less. But I can see in her face that she's happy and she enjoys every moment she has with her sisters and family. If she wants to fight I'll fight with her. So I guess it's not done until it's done.

I'm obviously not going to say she's cured yet. But she's shown significant improvement in the last week and gained 1.5lbs in less than a week. Time to cancel Jeep trips because I'm looking at staying home to do the next 3+ months of daily treatment.

IMG_20210502_143307.jpg

Cured.

I have never lived in a house and not have a mini pet cemetery in the back yard😳 I have dropped some $$ on pet bills but fortunately not had a bill to large to have to make that decision.

Ive had dogs my entire life. Usually 2 at a time. We had a yorkie break her leg several years ago. It was $2500 to set it and pin it. I had money at the time. So we did it. But if it happened today it would be a 3 legged dog for $600.

Vets these days are big business. They have sales strategies and sales goals for all their vets. They will always suggest blood work and advanced procedures. Because they know they can prey on the emotional weakness of a pet owner in distress. I personally think this is a terrible thing.

Here in LA you cant get out of a vet office for less than $400. We have a low cost clinic about 30 minutes from me. Just had my pup fixed for $160. Vet wanted over $500. Prices have skyrocketed over the last couple decades. As this upsell practice became mainstream. Its sad for people that cant find a low cost or what i call a normal cost vet. And sadder when they prey on grieving families.

Everytime i have to go to the regular vet i have to sift thru the upsells and refuse about a 1/3 of the procedures they want to perform. I dont know what lesser knowledgeable people do. I guess just get f'd.

My philosophy has always been - if an expensive test can only lead to more than $50 month in medicine or care - my pet has lived a long great life. And its he or shes time to go unfortunately.

I love my animals like a member of the family. I give them good lives. But i wont extend my pets life by mere months for thousands in care.

Vet clinics with these upsell tactics piss me off a great deal. Its a new modern age. Where anyone will stoop to low lengths to take money from people.

• Sad
Ive had dogs my entire life. Usually 2 at a time. We had a yorkie break her leg several years ago. It was $2500 to set it and pin it. I had money at the time. So we did it. But if it happened today it would be a 3 legged dog for $600.

Vets these days are big business. They have sales strategies and sales goals for all their vets. They will always suggest blood work and advanced procedures. Because they know they can prey on the emotional weakness of a pet owner in distress. I personally think this is a terrible thing.

Here in LA you cant get out of a vet office for less than $400. We have a low cost clinic about 30 minutes from me. Just had my pup fixed for $160. Vet wanted over $500. Prices have skyrocketed over the last couple decades. As this upsell practice became mainstream. Its sad for people that cant find a low cost or what i call a normal cost vet. And sadder when they prey on grieving families.

Everytime i have to go to the regular vet i have to sift thru the upsells and refuse about a 1/3 of the procedures they want to perform. I dont know what lesser knowledgeable people do. I guess just get f'd.

My philosophy has always been - if an expensive test can only lead to more than $50 month in medicine or care - my pet has lived a long great life. And its he or shes time to go unfortunately.

I love my animals like a member of the family. I give them good lives. But i wont extend my pets life by mere months for thousands in care.

Vet clinics with these upsell tactics piss me off a great deal. Its a new modern age. Where anyone will stoop to low lengths to take money from people.
Sad, but true. Seems they suggest bloodwork for virtually everything, these days. We tend to pass on it, more times than not. When our oldest dachshund had severe digestive issues, we approved the bloodwork, and it paid off. However, bloodwork for a back injury? No thank you. It's a ruptured disc. Do the surgery.

I will spend whatever it takes to provide my dogs with quality of life. But I will not spend the money just to prolong their life to ease my pain. I brought them into my life and see it as my responsibility to provide them with the best life I can.

Although I don’t see them as just pets, I wouldn’t think you were a bad owner for not selling your house. Or putting your family in financial hardship. Now if you’re someone that ties your dog to a tree to live a life of solitude, you’re an asshole.

I will spend whatever it takes to provide my dogs with quality of life. But I will not spend the money just to prolong their life to ease my pain. I brought them into my life and see it as my responsibility to provide them with the best life I can.

Although I don’t see them as just pets, I wouldn’t think you were a bad owner for not selling your house. Or putting your family in financial hardship. Now if you’re someone that ties your dog to a tree to live a life of solitude, you’re an asshole.
I agree with this completely. Well said.