Road driving characteristics of TJ with a 4 lift?

Thanks, is that pic of your jeep with 33" tires & 4" lift? If so, I like it. Maybe 33" tires are OK, as I was considering going to 35" tires.
4" lift and 33"s on top and 4"+1.25"BL on 33"s on bottom picture.

20181118_140050.jpg

20190326_161504.jpg

Very nice! How's that step on the rocker guard work out for you? I was wondering if it was better to go with a nerf going back to the frame or a set-up like yours.

It’s not much of a step as it’s tall and setup as rocker protection. But my kids use it as a step getting in. I just leg in. If your Off-roading the Jeep, you wont want anything sitting below the body. If your all street, the nerf type steps will be a better step.

My Jeep had a 4" Skyjacker lift. I still use the springs. I changed the rest to to Bilstein shocks, JKS rear track bar, Currie front trackbar, Currie CorrectLync steering, Currie control arms. I have 33x12.5/r15 BFG AT KO2 tires. Oh yeah, red is the fastest color.

P4190061-XL.jpg

My Jeep had a 4" Skyjacker lift. I still use the springs. I changed the rest to to Bilstein shocks, JKS rear track bar, Currie front trackbar, Currie CorrectLync steering, Currie control arms. I have 33x12.5/r15 BFG AT KO2 tires. Oh yeah, red is the fastest color.

View attachment 90765
Very Nice. Thanks for the info. My experience is that Cops think Red is the fastest color too! .... Never again! I went from 0 t0 3 tickets in 6 months!

I have a 4" suspension lift and run BF G. All-Terrain TA 33s. She has great road manners but you definitely know when you hit a bigger bump. But I'm fairly sure that I need to replace the shocks.

*adds replacing shocks to an already long list.

Here's another example, mine with 4" lift on 33s. I bought it with a 4" Rough Country suspension lift and 285/70/17 E rated tires and it rode and drove like a steel wheeled log wagon. Swapped out the RC shocks for some Rancho RS5000x shocks, replaced the 17s with factory Grizzly wheels and mounted 33/10.50/15 c rated tires and a JKS adjustable front track bar and now it rides and drives so much better. Next on my list is a SYA kit and double adjustable rear uppers so I can get rid of the transfer case drop.

Someone above suggested selling the Skyjacker lift and starting over, probably not what you wanted to hear but that is good advice. Installing a bottom shelf lift kit and then having to turn around and start replacing parts to make the handling and driving characteristics tolerable is just a waste of time, effort and more importantly money. Also you will need to factor in a re-gear based on the tire size you go with. IMHO this is an absolute must for both on-road & off-road performance.

My Jeep 1.jpg

Reactions: TJRick and AndyG
Does running 35" tires w/4" lift reduce roadway driveability/cornering?
35s on the street are only for show.

First decide how you will use your Jeep, then buy "upgrades" to enhance that use.
35s and a 4" lift will do nothing positive on the street.
If you bought a cheap lift, expect even worse.

Last edited: