Rubicon axle leak

Brian Alcorn

TJ Enthusiast
Ok so my 04 Rubicon rear axle is leaking at the drivers side seal and the yoke mechanic wants 125 just to do the axle seal ... I can do the yoke but dont have a press for the axle shaft bearing and ring... I've been told that the seal will wear a groove in the shaft and the new seal will leak ...is this true and should i replace the shaft as it has 315000 miles... rearend was rebuilt 4 months ago and been leaking ever since... had words with the shop so I cant take it back there

Try sliding the axle shaft out and smearing a thin layer of Mopar RTV, Permatex Gear Oil RTV, or Permatex Ultra Black RTV (in that order) around the outer edge of the seal. Clean the opening to the axle tube where the seal seats before sliding things back together.

Reactions: Steel City 06
If you have been considering upgrading to chromoly shafts, the shafts already come with pressed on bearings and seals. Not cheap though, but one of the easiest upgrades to do

Where would I get the shaft as extreme terain says theirs is just the shaft without bearings or seal or flange ...has to be purchased as a kit seperately

These would have the bearings and seals, and are considered to be a very high quality shaft by many site users:
https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod...and_lj_rubicon_and_non_wdisc_brakes_30_splineI bought and installed these and it was relatively straightforward. Hardest part was reassembling the parking brakes

Here is a moderately cheaper brand that also has fans on this site:
https://carbonoffroad.com/products/jeep-tjljxjyj-dana-44-rear-chromoly-axle-kit-30-spline(I have no experience with these myself)

Where would I get the shaft as extreme terain says theirs is just the shaft without bearings or seal or flange ...has to be purchased as a kit seperately
Revolution Gear axle shaft kits come pre-assembled, everything pressed into place, and ready to install.

But for now, yes the RTV should be uncured for the above suggestion.

These would have the bearings and seals, and are considered to be a very high quality shaft by many site users:
https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod...and_lj_rubicon_and_non_wdisc_brakes_30_splineI bought and installed these and it was relatively straightforward. Hardest part was reassembling the parking brakes

Here is a moderately cheaper brand that also has fans on this site:
https://carbonoffroad.com/products/jeep-tjljxjyj-dana-44-rear-chromoly-axle-kit-30-spline(I have no experience with these myself)
Guessing that's per side

Ok so the carbon off road fits rubicon ... didn't see it listed and not sure of the difference other than the factory locker

Try sliding the axle shaft out and smearing a thin layer of Mopar RTV, Permatex Gear Oil RTV, or Permatex Ultra Black RTV (in that order) around the outer edge of the seal. Clean the opening to the axle tube where the seal seats before sliding things back together.
Jerry, the mopar RTV you are referring to for the perimeter seal surface, is it the mopar 82300234? There are several RTV sealants.........
thanks,
Scott

PS, I assume this can be used to seal the differential covers as well, correct?

Ok so my 04 Rubicon rear axle is leaking at the drivers side seal and the yoke mechanic wants 125 just to do the axle seal ... I can do the yoke but dont have a press for the axle shaft bearing and ring... I've been told that the seal will wear a groove in the shaft and the new seal will leak ...is this true and should i replace the shaft as it has 315000 miles... rearend was rebuilt 4 months ago and been leaking ever since... had words with the shop so I cant take it back there
SOOOO I was replacing ball joints in the front and in doing so I pulled the hub/axel out on the drivers side...Upon putting it back in, I pushed the seal to were it was sitting horizontally and had diff leaking at the hub......borrowed the tool to pull old and seat new seal, bought lube locker gasket and new seals and did both sides...pulling the diff out was not hard just make sure when you pull everything out sit it on cardboard or towel rags whatever in the exact order they go back in...there are shims etc on each side that need to go back exactly... anyway did it all for less than 50 bucks and 2 hours...