Rubicon Gears

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I just got a set of Rubi Dana 44 axles for the price of a single regular Dana 44 axle and super excited to get the set under my TJ, however I do not want to run 4:10 but something numerically lower because V8. I saw a little bit of info saying the Rubicons use thick cut 4.10 gears, so does that mean the Rubi lockers have the same ring gear spacing as a standard factory Dana 44 carrier with 3.73 gears?

When I call the guys at revolution gear amd axle they know everything about this question and answer. They have in stock and will sell you everything you need

Reactions: AndyG
So I just got a set of Rubi Dana 44 axles for the price of a single regular Dana 44 axle and super excited to get the set under my TJ, however I do not want to run 4:10 but something numerically lower because V8. I saw a little bit of info saying the Rubicons use thick cut 4.10 gears, so does that mean the Rubi lockers have the same ring gear spacing as a standard factory Dana 44 carrier with 3.73 gears?

The Rubicon lockers need thick cut gears for anything 4.10 to 5.38. Everything in the 3s uses a standard cut gear.

Reactions: JMT
Cool easy enough. Thanks for clarifying that!

It confuses a lot of people and a lot of companies. The only aspect of the Rubicon 44 that determines the use of thick cut gears or not are the lockers Jeep put inside them. Once you change to ARB, Eaton, etc, along with a fresh gear install then you can use standard cut with the appropriate carrier.

What size tires are you planning to run and which V8 and transmission?
5.3, AX15, 32s, currently 3.73 but even that is more than what I need. I have previously had 3.08 with the LS when I was still running Dana 35 in the rear, but when I went to a regular Dana 44 with 3.73 I did not experience any loss of useable power and just saw more fuel consumption and drone at highway speeds so retaining 4.10 wont do me much good. I mostly do forest trails and sand dunes since that is what is around me and even still those require hours of highway traveling to go anywhere fun. Otherwise its just the occasional farmer that will let you use his field to go play in during off season.

My idea was to rebuild this set of axles put them in my TJ and move the sub 30k mile rebuilt Dana 30/44 from the TJ to the LJ I am fixing up.