Rubicon Locker: Fact or Myth

What were actually talking about is- Does failing to use the locker in four-wheel-drive risk damage to the limited slip differential-

Your post brings to mind how few lockers fail considering the age, the extreme use and numbers sold (TJ Rubicons were a huge seller).

Sure someone has seen a locker fail, and engines, and transfer cases, and everything else.

Also in these situations- none of us have a clue what/how the previous owners may have abused these. Sure, they only drove it to church....

The PCM nannies probably deserve a lot of credit for TJ Rubicon locker life- it slowed people down during the engagement process.

A locker really is a hard-core performance item and had never been sold to the public in large numbers in production vehicles.

The majority of these people had never seen, heard or had a locker and even today many Rubicon owners don’t know what they are-

Last edited:
So my to do list when warmer Temps arrive!!

Replace thermostat

Relocate locker pumps

Locker mod.

I love the idea of lockers in 2hi and 4hi.

Added locker mod to mine also. I was already considering it now it’s a for sure.

Do it. The flexibility to bypass the factory process is really an advantage. You will be glad - don’t be intimidated- its a ground, 2 wires, 2 switches.

Do it. The flexibility to bypass the factory process is really an advantage. You will be glad - don’t be intimidated- its a ground, 2 wires, 2 switches.

I’m thinking about it, just not sure I want another few switches in the Jeep.

Does failing to use the locker in four-wheel-drive risk damage to the limited slip differential-

YES! I didn't make it a practice to lock the rear diff while offroad. After I drove the Hole-in-the-Rock road near Escalante, UT, my rear diff was permanently locked ("crash locking"). There doesn't appear to be any way to replace those gears once they're toast. I chose an ARB to replace which has had a whole other learning curve. It was an expensive mistake.

YES! I didn't make it a practice to lock the rear diff while offroad. After I drove the Hole-in-the-Rock road near Escalante, UT, my rear diff was permanently locked ("crash locking"). There doesn't appear to be any way to replace those gears once they're toast. I chose an ARB to replace which has had a whole other learning curve. It was an expensive mistake.

Thanks for posting - sounds right in line with all we have learned.

Makes a good argument for both using the rear locker and the switch mod for easy of use, especially when in 4 hi- where the most “open diff / 4wd engaged” miles would likely be driven.